England in Australia

Drewska said:
Pathan, Vaas, McGrath sometimes drops down to those speeds. But it has shown as they haven't been as effective lately.

Yes Pace is important on good batting pitches but on helping tracks these bowlers are hard to face except pathan who has lost his action so lack of speed which is his main problem.Rest are medium pacers but have acccuracy to make life difficult even with their pace.

I read a book from an England bowling coach saying that if a bowler is slow (not delibrately), it is due to poor biomechanics, this can then ripple on to make poor accuracy too hence making them a worse bowler.

manee said:
I read a book from an England bowling coach saying that if a bowler is slow (not delibrately), it is due to poor biomechanics, this can then ripple on to make poor accuracy too hence making them a worse bowler.

But Lee+Akhtar the quickest in the world are all over the place at times. Although lee has improved.

Guys like Hoggard, Vaas or Bracken don't want to be too fast. They're known for swinging deliveries and cutters. They are also known to bring the keeper up to the stumps. Swing tends to be most effective around 130 kph and much the same for cutter type deliveries. In the simplest possible terms, really all you want is the ball to move half a bat width more or less than the batsman expects. Bowl a cutter too fast and it will hardly move. While it's believed that reverse swing will simply increase the faster you bowl, it's also understood that conventional swing has its limits.

On the McGrath topic, the fastest I can remember in the last five or so years is a nippy 139 kph. In the 3rd innings at Adelaide, I saw a 137 kph ball amongst a few others of good pace. I think McGrath tends to bowl up-wind these days and that slows anyone down a bit.

McGrath weapon was his nip, he never got much swing so him bowling in the 120s wouldn't help him. If he had more speed well he would be even more harder to play but probably would get less wickets cause the batsmen would play and miss more.

On swing though if you can get it at 140km/h the LBW and bowled come into play more so than the edges.

Leicetser Fox said:
But Lee+Akhtar the quickest in the world are all over the place at times. Although lee has improved.

You find that most of the time (not always); fast bowlers at their fastest bowl well. The pace only assists this. The real reason is that everything is right in their action which gives them accuracy and good seam position (which can make them even better). However, if a bowler is bowling rapid, may just mean he is really annoyed and fired up (for lack of a better word).

manee said:
You find that most of the time (not always); fast bowlers at their fastest bowl well. The pace only assists this. The real reason is that everything is right in their action which gives them accuracy and good seam position (which can make them even better). However, if a bowler is bowling rapid, may just mean he is really annoyed and fired up (for lack of a better word).

Fast bowlers do not always bowl their best at their fastest because if they are pumped up actually they try for bouncers which gives them less chance.in
my opinion fast bowlers are most effective when they use their minds
and try to think a batsman out.

aussie1st said:
McGrath weapon was his nip, he never got much swing so him bowling in the 120s wouldn't help him. If he had more speed well he would be even more harder to play but probably would get less wickets cause the batsmen would play and miss more.
Dizzy's curse.

On swing though if you can get it at 140km/h the LBW and bowled come into play more so than the edges.
Yeah, I guess it's not something many of us can physically check, but my understanding is that there is a point at which the forces that cause reverse swing negate those that cause conventional swing. However, I too believe I've seen normal swing at considerable pace, maybe that point varies and sometimes reverse swing is too weak. It's probable that for a ball bowled at that pace, late swing is more likely, as the ball initially is too fast, but decelerates to a degree that it will swing.

Well reverse swing is first discovered by the very quick bowlers and then the others get it so thats one case where it depends on pace. But the lateness is an interesting one cause Lee is quick as the come but doesn't get it as late a Waqar did. Hoggard himself seems to get late swing so maybe it's most optimum at 130km/h.

Sureshot said:
That's about the 5th time this article's been mentioned.
All by me. No one seems to want to read it, and keep bringing up the same subject. Just read the damn thing already!

Users who are viewing this thread