England in Australia

I don't think Lee has been poor this series, he has been unlucky and bowled some good balls. I think he trys to bowl to fast which can be his downfall.

Drewska said:
I don't think Lee has been poor this series, he has been unlucky and bowled some good balls. I think he trys to bowl to fast which can be his downfall.
I think it's because he gets no movement of the ball either in the air or off the seam after about 4 overs.

evertonfan said:
Typical bigoted Aussie response. Yes our bowlers have been poor, have we once denied that? The fact is that Lee has been just as poor this series and he's lucky that our batting line-up hasn't fired and that he's been backed up by Clark and Warne because otherwise he's be going at a lot more than the 4.5 an over that MUFC mentioned.
Brett Lee's economy rates this series (minimum 60 balls bowled in the innings):
2.76 (13-4-36-2) B Lee Australia v England at Melbourne, 4th Test, 26/12/2006
3.40 (15-3-51-1) B Lee Australia v England at Brisbane, 1st Test, 23/11/2006
3.83 (18-1-69-2) B Lee Australia v England at Perth, 3rd Test, 14/12/2006
4.08 (34-1-139-1) B Lee Australia v England at Adelaide, 2nd Test, 01/12/2006

Avg economy rate: 3.52
Much better than Harmison, Anderson, Panesar and Mahmood.

source: http://www1.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE...NOV2006-FEB2007_TEST_BOWL_BEST_INNS_ECON.html

But I suppose economy rate means nothing if your taking plenty of wickets but he hasn't been doing that.

Lee is good when he gets swing with the new ball but he hasn't been getting much of that lately. The seam is all wobbled which is unusual for Lee as it's usually very upright. He has got his reverse swing going which is a good asset to have.

I wouldnt rule us out yet we might get one over on the Aussies you know what they say

'Its not over till the fat bowler spins'

In that case it should be a couple of hours into Day 1 :D

They have to win for every player that mcgrath and warne have ever gotten out. They have to spoil the party-according to Nasser Hussain

Yeah you see its not over till the fat bowlers spins but I reckon he will ruine it the man is to good.

McGraths just........old even though hes younger of the two oldies he seems physically old probably because of fast bowling?

Drewska said:
He has only been bowling 140-145km/h. He needs to bowl fast(er)

The interesting thing with Lee is that he seems to be holding the ball for the inswinger occasionally and he can't get the seam to stay straight up and it gets scrambled. That means the ball is going straight, but it's not nearly as effective as the Chaminda Vaas scrambled seam straight ball - cause the batters already expect the ball to go dead straight from Lee. He needs to find some additional movement from somewhere. I think he's better off looking to bowl the outswinger all the time, just so he can keep good seam position - thats where the movement will come from (his seam position for the outswinger is usually excellent). Then all he needs is to mix in an occasional bouncer and yorker for surprise and you've got a good bowler - as long as he executes well.

That is why he does so well in ODIs. THe white ball swings more to start with, then the batters need to play their shots when he comes back later, so he gets wickets there too.

Users who are viewing this thread