Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
2001-02 series in India was won by India, the series in England was drawn 1-1 and now India lead 1-0 into the third test.
Of course, the series in England was a bit different, bowlers were quite new and they relied on Caddick, Gough and few others.
India in England will be really good, with Kumble and the new pace-attack for India can provide very good fight and ofcourse, the batsmen handling the pace.

cricket_lover said:
2001-02 series in India was won by India, the series in England was drawn 1-1 and now India lead 1-0 into the third test.
Of course, the series in England was a bit different, bowlers were quite new and they relied on Caddick, Gough and few others.
India in England will be really good, with Kumble and the new pace-attack for India can provide very good fight and ofcourse, the batsmen handling the pace.

by the time India tours England, the Indian side should be much more settled down. Mostly we will tour them only after the world Cup 2007. should be interesting!

I would say that this win for India was not on a typical sub-continent wicket and it kind of sends a signal to teams around the world that we're beginning to produce some quality in the seam department as well. I would say that India have a pretty decent team which can win test matches overseas if these youngsters came through.

The future, as I said before, lies in the seam department. Except at a few places, a majority of test matches around the world are won by the quick bowlers. And now, India are beginning to have quite a few who can bowl it quick

By the way in the newspaper I saw something about a new Indian paceman, Ali Nabid or somebody from Kashmir. It was reported that he is pretty quick 90+ mph bowler as well.

Sureshot said:
No i can't, as a ODI player maybe he shouldn't be there, still got an average better than Afridi and Boucher.

Fact is Vaughan scores big hundreds, plays spin pretty well and has a good record in India, we missed him.

Afridi and Boucher aren't highly rated batsmen at all. Sure, o his day afridia can belt the skin off of a cricket ball, but i wouldn't want him in my side, and boucher, thats a crap comparison because boucher is not a good batsmen at all, he can just, well, bat.

Vaughan doesn't score big hundreds, he gets to 100 and gets out, and has never made a double ton.

I think there are players who can replace Vaughan in ODI's. The situation is quite similar to Ganguly, especially replacing him from tests.

Comparing Vaughan with Afridi and Bouchar isn't fair. Vaughan has a touch of class, in the mould of Laxman, though i would have Laxman in my team.

A 4-test series would be fair, and interesting between these two teams.

I think England should do away with Jones,Plunkett and Strauss for the Mumbai Test.

Prior,Udal and Blackwell should be inducted

Jones altough did well in the first innings just doesnt seem to be right.

Strauss's rosy period is over for some time now.

Get in these guys and even the English side would have 3 spinners (quantity matters as well).

For Indians its clear that VVS would come back at the expense of Chawla.

Mumbai's pitch wold be a turner as well but it wont start turning untill the first hour.

Check out this site covering the tour:

http://www.nobok.premiumtv.co.uk/page/IndiaHome

I think Plunkett should be shown the door. If Jones can just cling on to at least a half chance then he will be better for it. As for Blackwell and Udal, well Blackwell should be given a chance in the ODI side. The players missing for the ODI series is very worrying and with a year to go b4 the World Cup England have got to get the right players before it is too late.
I would also put Tresco down the order for the summer Tests and leave Cook and Strauss up there....

ronny_kingsley said:
I think England should do away with Jones,Plunkett and Strauss for the Mumbai Test.

Get in these guys and even the English side would have 3 spinners (quantity matters as well).

Mumbai's pitch wold be a turner as well but it wont start turning untill the first hour.

totaly agree on the Strauss issue, he has done nothing, slowly. Him and Vaughan are the holes in English batting at the moment. Swap TResco for Strauss and then leave the team as it is, with tresco as skipper. of course, bring back simon jones from injury, and also, replace geriant jones with matt prior

Englishandproud said:
And i bet they wont get puinished like Pietersen has been, all he did was stand there in disbelief that he had been given out, when it is obviously out and you dont go then you should be fined.

All though i do agree that we played poor, remember we have been struck by injuries on this tour and in the first test the ones that came in, excluding blackwell, did play well and were maybe let down by others.

apparantly he pointed to his arm, and that is... "level 2 offence" "showing a dissent towards an umpires descision through action or verbal abuse" he comes under action. you can actually get suspended for it, but i don;t think thats ever happened.

whats important is that england lost :D

Last edited:
I'd rather have Tresco and Cook opening with Strauss coming 1 down. That means Bell being left out. Strauss can bat a bit freely when he comes at 1 down. Also Collingwood should come at No 4 and KP at 5.

IMO, england shouldn't play three spinnners beacuse they do not have 3 spinners who are good enough. Monty looks promising and may replace Gilo. He gets drift on the ball as well as real turn. Udal looked very ineffective in Pakistan. Economy rates of 2.76, 4.61 and 5.11. I dont think he could build up pressure effectively unless it was a huge turning pitch. Blackwell, according the commentators on Sky, is a batsman who can bowl although he didnt show any evidence he could do either. UNless, the pitch is a huge turner England should only play 2 spinners.

India could play 4 bowlers and bring back laxman or kaif. Inclined towards kaif after his match saving innnings under pressure in Nagpur. India can draw and win the series and could seal the series by winnig the toss and scoring a huge score. Chalwa didnt bowl much in Mohali and proably shouldnt play in Mumbai. If its a turning pitch (which it probably will be) play harbajan and kumble, munaf and pathan. Otherwise drop harbajan for sreesanth.

What do u think?

tsyrmas said:
totaly agree on the Strauss issue, he has done nothing, slowly. Him and Vaughan are the holes in English batting at the moment. Swap TResco for Strauss and then leave the team as it is, with tresco as skipper. of course, bring back simon jones from injury, and also, replace geriant jones with matt prior

Well he can't be as slow as Katich :D And plus keep Strauss in the team. Even though he is suffering a bad patch atm, he is a class batsman and has shown how destructive he could be as shown in SA and some good starts in the Ashes. Vaughan is a necessity as he is a batsman who makes a start, can then make a big one which was seen in the Ashes and in the 2003 Ashes in Aus/

barmyarmy said:
Yeah but even so I don't think it would have made much difference. The Pathan one was more crucial but, as I said earlier, we got luckier in the first test.

But then we had all that bad luck off it, with a bit of luck in Giles going out.

Although I think as a second spinner he'd be better than Udal/Blackwell.

tsyrmas said:
Afridi and Boucher aren't highly rated batsmen at all. Sure, o his day afridia can belt the skin off of a cricket ball, but i wouldn't want him in my side, and boucher, thats a crap comparison because boucher is not a good batsmen at all, he can just, well, bat.

Vaughan doesn't score big hundreds, he gets to 100 and gets out, and has never made a double ton.
So 197 isn't a big hundred?

http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

Regular hundreds in England.

http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

Not as good away, still hundreds at fairly regular intervals.

Imo, if he was fit he would have score a big hundred in this series.

tsyrmas said:

:rolleyes:

Strauss has been one of the best test openers over the last 21 months, his record is brilliant.

And replace Jones with Prior?
Nope.

It's between Jones and Read.

ronny_kingsley said:

3 spinners doesn't work, never has done nor will do.

Our pacers are more threatening than those other 2 spinners you mentioned.

Strauss' rosy period?

Just a one off then :rolleyes:

harishankar said:
By the way in the newspaper I saw something about a new Indian paceman, Ali Nabid or somebody from Kashmir. It was reported that he is pretty quick 90+ mph bowler as well.

That's precisely what was said about Munaf Patel two years ago too.

Also ,about the third test team ...
What is Harbhajan still doing in the team ?
M R W

5 500* 2

Over 500 runs from 5 matches with just about 2 wickets to his name ? :eek:

To be frank, I think Bhajji needs to do something special to retain his place in this Indian side. Past records, as we have seen with Ganguly, don't cut it any more with this particular selection panel and team management.

Bhajji may be tolerated for a couple of more failures but I don't see it going far beyond that. I see it hard to get him a place in the team with so many talented seamers waiting in the wings to take over. And even in helpful conditions, he's been struggling of late.

Besides we have a better chance overseas with three seamers and a spinner if we choose to play six batsmen + the keeper. Harbhajan might just need something special (not saying that he's not capable of it) to save his place.

Although I'm a fan of Harbhajan's, I never understood why they choose him over Kumble when India only played one spinner.

Users who are viewing this thread