Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
Some commentator once described Harbhajan Singh as a "confidence man" (sounds a bit like confidence trickster :)) but what he really meant was that Harbhajan was not quite as mentally resilient as Kumble, meaning that when he doesn't pick up wickets and things aren't going well for him, he lets his head drop and his shoulders droop. Temperamentally he's improved a lot since his first days in International cricket, but he's still not up there with the greatest bowlers and that's why I think his success rate tends to vary so much between euphoric highs and abysmal lows.

Besides, technically I think that overseas players play Bhajji much better because they can play the sweep to him day in and day out and of course, when his doosra isn't coming out right, he can be a bit predictable.

Kumble relies a lot on variations in the air by varying the flight of the delivery and hence is much harder for batsmen to use a "safe" getaway shot against him like the sweep. He is relentless when he is in rhythm... 500 wickets cannot be attributed to flukes... he's a great bowler, no doubt about it.

I dont see why Harbhajan should be selected for the next test. I would prefer Romesh Pawar playing instead of him. Powar has been a very consistent performer in the domestic circuit. Its high time that he is given a proper break instead of a one off ODI here and there. From whatever i've seen of him, he turns the ball quite well, has control and has a beautiful arm ball like the one that got Inzi. I agree that Chawla has future, but dont think he is Test standard yet. Its better to groom him and make him a regular in the long run. Right now i think its time for Powar as time is running out for him.

But the selecters have been going on giving chances to Harbhajan which i dont blame as he is a proven performer. But I believe he has had enough chances already with him failing in very helpful conditions in the last match. I just cant believe that they are going on ignoring Powar.

Yeah, Powar did bowl well. But I wouldn't judge him by a one-day match. He still has to perform at the Test level and his lack of athleticism might work against him pushing his way into the team. But I agree that there is potential in his bowling.

For the third test, India should go with three seamers and Kumble and probably Powar or Chawla. I still think that the leg spinner is a better option against England though. Harbhajan needs to go back to domestic cricket, pick up a few wickets to boost his confidence and work his way back into the National side.

Last edited:
Yes, Powar cannot be judged by a one-day match. But he is simply not being given an opurtunity in test cricket. He was expected to be selected for the second test, but suddenly there was Chawla. I'm not saying that Chawla shouldn't be given a chance. Chawla is really a very bright prospect. But doesnt consistent domestic performance have no rewards. With Harbhajan playing this badly I believe it is finally time that Powar got his break. He deserves a chance at test cricket.

I would rather prefer playing Piyush Chawla for his state for a couple more seasons and for international exposure he should regularly be picked for the India A and Board President XI teams. As some one said earlier I dont want him to become another Parthiv Patel.

Also if some of the older players like Murali Kartik are not in the scheme of things, then there is absolutely no point in picking him for the A team or the BPXI team as the only outcome would be him blocking the chance for a youngster like Piyush from playing.

Although Murali Kartik is not that old...

iceman_waugh said:
That's precisely what was said about Munaf Patel two years ago too.

Also ,about the third test team ...
What is Harbhajan still doing in the team ?
M R W

5 500* 2

Over 500 runs from 5 matches with just about 2 wickets to his name ? :eek:

they are persisting with him becoz when in rhythm, you cant find a more devastating off spinner than harbhajan! but the point is when he will come into rhythm and how long can we wait

If Mumbai = square turner

Play Harbhajan, Kumble, Munaf, Pathan and bring back Laxman

If Mumbai = Mohali

Play Kumble, Munaf, Sreesanth, Pathan and bring back laxman

Even though I want 5 bowlers, looks like India might not opt for 5 bowlers at Mumbai. So Laxman looks set to come back!

Machanperu Bala said:
I would rather prefer playing Piyush Chawla for his state for a couple more seasons and for international exposure he should regularly be picked for the India A and Board President XI teams. As some one said earlier I dont want him to become another Parthiv Patel.

Also if some of the older players like Murali Kartik are not in the scheme of things, then there is absolutely no point in picking him for the A team or the BPXI team as the only outcome would be him blocking the chance for a youngster like Piyush from playing.

Although Murali Kartik is not that old...

Murali Kartik may be can deserver another chance in the tests. For ODI's, he is simply a NO-NO

Last edited:
saisrini80 said:
they are persisting with him becoz when in rhythm, you cant find a more devastating off spinner than harbhajan! but the point is when he will come into rhythm and how long can we wait

'when in rhythm' he is devastating, but when was the last time that happened.

Anyways, Murali is the most devastating offie, not Harbhajan.

I think that the third Test is a perfect opportunity for India to experiment. Essentially, Chawla was a dead duck so to speak, he took one wicket and didn't bowl that many overs. Now would be the time for them to bring in another all rounder, whether they be pace or spin to give someone else a chance.

saisrini80 dont worry every bsest bowler in the wold loose his form when he gets hit badly by afrdi. ;)

MUFC1987 said:
I think that the third Test is a perfect opportunity for India to experiment. Essentially, Chawla was a dead duck so to speak, he took one wicket and didn't bowl that many overs. Now would be the time for them to bring in another all rounder, whether they be pace or spin to give someone else a chance.

I think India can only do that if the pitch will help the bowlers, because if they experiment and go wrong on a really flat pitch, England could score a lot of runs putting India under pressure.

We don't need Laxman. Time for the future, and the future is Kaif.
And Powar should be playing more. Such a character going to waste...bet if he played for England he'd have about 200 Test wickets now :p

ZoraxDoom said:
We don't need Laxman. Time for the future, and the future is Kaif.
And Powar should be playing more. Such a character going to waste...bet if he played for England he'd have about 200 Test wickets now :p

I believe Raina is the future. Wonder when he is gonna get his test cap.

Powar is such a talent going to waste. I dont know how many test wickets he iss gonna get, but he surely deserves an oppurtunity at test level.

MUFC1987 said:
Although I'm a fan of Harbhajan's, I never understood why they choose him over Kumble when India only played one spinner.

Me too. Hopefully the selectors will scrab in their heads and select him for the ODI's. He can obviously bowl and also make some runs in the tail. He could be useful for the World Cup.

Harbhajan is very useful in the ODIs where he has the ability to keep the runs down. But in his present form, not so sure about tests....

Users who are viewing this thread