Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
India has equalled the record for maximum number of run chases in odis - 14. Do you guys think India can set a new world record by getting one more win chasing?

By the way, are there any day-nighters scheduled in the series?

That's strange... most of the stadiums in India have flood lights installed (E.g. Mumbai, Calcutta, Bangalore, Chennai & Mohali).

ok... doesn't make much of a difference to me in either case; I get to know the result in the morning :)

India has equalled the record for maximum number of run chases in odis - 14. Do you guys think India can set a new world record by getting one more win chasing?

Ofcourse yes!!!!!

My only wories are top order of India which is not firing as expected!!!! Absence of Sachin might be the one reason!!!!
Indian middle order and lower order have become as strong as rock!!! I rember during Azharuddin's period...where only top order fires and lower order will collapse like phone numbers...But now the era has changed.... India has strong middle and lower order and also the strong top which is not firing as expected....

If they started to fire..no matter whichever team may be...They are sure to win the series....Its no big suprise even If india wins 6-1 in this series!!!! Absence of Trescothick and Vaughan has built a smll hole in England!!!!

Good Luck India.....

Sort of Surendar, Vaughan in ODIs is practically a liability most of the time, he either gets bogged down and puts pressure on the rest of the order, or gets out cheaply and puts pressure on the rest of the order :p

Trescothick however is a massive loss, generally goes at around a run a ball, and normally gets England off to a good start. Has the ability to bat 30-50 overs worth of the game as well.

Sureshot said:
Key moment was when Anderson dropped Raina, tough chance though, rebounded out of his hand on contact with the ground.

We MUST make changes for the next game imo.

Shah and Ali out.
Solanki and Hoggard In.

Solanki's wristiness will help in India and Hoggy is a very accurate bowler now.
Credit to India and the impressive Suresh Raina.

I do not know the England team that well but it is hard to understand why Hoggard is not playing. After the recent test matches I would think that he is the English bowler that Indian batsmen fear most. Hope the logic is not that Kabir Ali and Anderson are better batsmen than Hoggard at #10 and #11. Even if Hoggard gets hit in the one day version once in a while, England have enough bowlers to cover. On the other hand Hoggard could take wickets which will may make a difference at some crucial situtations.

Manohar said:
I do not know the England team that well but it is hard to understand why Hoggard is not playing.

There are many, many reasons.

I'll start with the simplest, in the past Hoggard has not generally been very successful in ODI cricket, even OD cricket.

Basically England couldn't really care less what happens in the ODI series. Obviously they want to win, and they will try to win when playing, but the bottom line at the moment for them is experimentation.

Often they use ODI cricket as a breeding ground for future test players. They also have a rough idea as to what side will be playing in the World Cup.

With those two facts in mind, the following occurs. England at the moment are trying to work out if Prior has the ability with the bat to replace Jones. They are also trying to work out who the final bowler will be in their ODI team in the world cup, a role that has never been filled since Goughies "retirement". In both categories time is running out a bit for them to find it, especially if they only play one of each of them at any given game.

So at the moment, instead of picking what is most likely the team most likely to win, they are instead picking players that may or not stake a claim for a place in the side. At the moment in India it would make most sense to play Batty and Blackwell on the turning pitches, however in the West Indies they will almost certainly not be playing two spinners. They will almost definately be playing Harmison, Flintoff, Jones/Anderson depending on fitness, and then one other seamer, so at the moment they are playing Anderson, Ali and Plunkett in what is effectively a showdown to see who earns that final spot.

Hoggard is also a test match workhorse, so despite utilising him for his experience they have so far decided to let him rest instead of finding out if he would do the job in India, afterall he is unlikely to play in the Windies.

Mostly this explains why they have yet to play the two spinners, yet to drop either one of the keepers, and yet to play either Bell or Solanki ahead of Prior. Also why the have spent the first two games of the series seemingly using the Indian spinners for sweeping practice, no pain no gain I guess. End of the day the result of this series just doesn't really matter to Fletcher and the England side. At the end of a tough series of test cricket, most of them want to be home, and normally half way through a ODI series it begins to show in their performances. Personally I couldn't really care less what they do in the pyjama form of the game, if silly men in suits who have never played cricket are going to persist in setting up 7 game series just to line their pockets, why should England care...

Fletcher and Englands feelings towards Odi cricket is essentially the nations opinion, in India they love ODI cricket, in England they much prefer Test Cricket. Most England fans treat Odi games as a bit of fun at the end of or beginning of a tour, and that mindset is either engrained on or rubs off on the England side as a whole.

puddleduck said:
There are many, many reasons.

I'll start with the simplest, in the past Hoggard has not generally been very successful in ODI cricket, even OD cricket.

Well either has Simon Jones, but he'll be a vital part of their ODI side in the future. Anyway, ODI cricket is basically novelty in my opinion, it doesn't really mean all that much, but these labels still shouldn't be, well, 'perpetuated'. For example, Langer's early experiences with ODI cricket have scarred how he's viewed and selected, even if he's managed to adapt his game into the new period.

James219 said:
Well either has Simon Jones, but he'll be a vital part of their ODI side in the future. Anyway, ODI cricket is basically novelty in my opinion, it doesn't really mean all that much, but these labels still shouldn't be, well, 'perpetuated'. For example, Langer's early experiences with ODI cricket have scarred how he's viewed and selected, even if he's managed to adapt his game into the new period.

I was just answering his post, not necessarily my opinion. For the record I believe Hoggard these days would be reasonably well suited to ODI cricket. Definately on these Indian pitches, considering these days he has developed a wide range of cutters and slower balls, and has greater control over his line and length bowling a few mph slower than he did when he started.

However the rest of my post is pretty much why he didn't start the series, if one of the bowlers currently being used is deemed surplus to requirements then Hoggard may come into the side, but on quicker, flatter ODI wickets that do not allow much seam movement and can negate the cutter, he may just prove too gentle in pace to cause problems. As he is unlikely to play in the World Cup, they have yet to play him. As I mentioned if their number 1 aim was to win this series he would have done, but it is becomming increasingly clear that it is not.

saisrini80 said:
What a superb innings by Raina? Well ronny, was that a case of the english bowlers not bowling well to him rather than a special innings? :p

He was superlative. His shots were breathtaking. That six that he stuck was awesome!

Raina batted well no doubt but my question is how did the selcetors knew his ability ????

He hasnt played much of first class cricket so how did they knew he would do well.

Also will have to wait and see him for another 8-10 matches before getting an idea on him. I hope everybody remebers Vishal Bharadwaj.

Umpires had a decent game, thought the Indian spinners got away with a few down past the pads though.

You are n Englishman arent you ???? Pietesen was clearly out stumped but still that idiot (Shivram) didnt give him out and gave Dravid out inspite of inconclusive evidence.

I think he is contemplating getting into Barmyarmy after seeing their merry ways (booze and all that). :p

ZoraxDoom said:
Kaif was unlucky, the ball was a short ball which didn't bounce at all. Quite unlucky, it was the pitch. One of those odd low-keeping balls. He looked very good in defense in the other balls he played.

Unlucky for the 3rd time in 4 consecutive innings ie 3 ducks in 4 innings.

Last time Kaif played an inning worthwile in ODI's was in the final in Zimbabwe.

puddleduck said:
I was just answering his post, not necessarily my opinion. For the record I believe Hoggard these days would be reasonably well suited to ODI cricket. Definately on these Indian pitches, considering these days he has developed a wide range of cutters and slower balls, and has greater control over his line and length bowling a few mph slower than he did when he started.

However the rest of my post is pretty much why he didn't start the series, if one of the bowlers currently being used is deemed surplus to requirements then Hoggard may come into the side, but on quicker, flatter ODI wickets that do not allow much seam movement and can negate the cutter, he may just prove too gentle in pace to cause problems. As he is unlikely to play in the World Cup, they have yet to play him. As I mentioned if their number 1 aim was to win this series he would have done, but it is becomming increasingly clear that it is not.

Yeah I know it wasn't your opinion, I was just saying that's the way players are categorized, unfortunately. But yeah, Hoggard's matured alot, and actually improved his game on top of that which is the harder part, I remember him striving for the extra pace in the 2002/03 Ashes as he didn't really know his role and was caught between filling Gough's shoes and compteting with Caddick's repertoire, and it really didn't work for him as he left his original gameplan. But he's far more comfortable in the team environment now, and there's no real reason why he wouldn't succeed in the one-day format as well.

Users who are viewing this thread