Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
Oh, well. Maybe I'll forgive Nimbus, but I sincerely hope they tie up with real Sports channels in the future to telecast their productions...

Just to clarify one point: I'm not against their giving terrestrial rights to DD National (which is mandatory anyway) but their satellite rights should be given only to the best channels and maybe tie up with their (the channel's) production units to improve quality and bring in the best commentary team possible.

harishankar said:
Money alone should not have been the criterion. When you give an engineer a job, you make sure he's qualified to do it, not just whether he quotes the lowest tender. Same thing here... Sahara haven't put in the hard yards of creating a credible sports telecast like Star Sports/ESPN/Ten Sports/Sky etc. have. They are just a third rate crappy entertainment channel looking to piggyback on somebody else's work and to boost their flagging viewership and making lots of money through advertising.

Well if its that easy to start a sports channel of the quality os ESPN/STAR/TEN everyone will be startin one. For that you need rights to a number of sporting events, international tieups and archive footage. Otherwise you end up being DD Sports :D . I'm sure if this coverage is a huge success they will start a sports channel. Right now, they cant start one with only one cricket series in hand. What will they show the rest of the time??

Right now, they cant start one with only one cricket series in hand. What will they show the rest of the time??
I know. That is my point... It's just a flash in the pan, unless they can prove otherwise...

You're right about it being difficult to be a sports network. But it's not impossible if you invest the amount needed and are serious about it and wiling to work for the long term benefits rather than looking at short-term returns. That's good business sense too. But what the likes of Sahara/Zee/Sony want to do is to merely piggyback on these kinds of events to make lots of money in the short term. There's no vision there and that's why I called them opportunistic. What suffers is qualities like professionalism, commitment and credibility... and this is communicated clearly to the viewers as well.

For that you need rights to a number of sporting events, international tieups and archive footage. Otherwise you end up being DD Sports .

:D At least DD sports shows real sporting events, even if it is some unnamed gymnastics tournament in Eastern Europe or footage of some obscure ATP event in Timbuktoo.. :D ;)

Last edited:
harishankar said:
:D At least DD sports shows real sporting events, even if it is some unnamed gymnastics tournament in Eastern Europe or footage of some obscure ATP event in Timbuktoo.. :D ;)
Wonder what people from Eastern Europe and Timbuktoo must be thinking about people playing with ball and stick for five full days?

Anyways, I think India have already won the game. This is a good batting wicket, and I dont see how India wont score 500+. Its all upto Flintoff, Harmison and Hoggard.

Its mad !
The BCCI is definately power mad.
They sold the rights to the highest bidder.Inidentally Nimbus got them becuase they had the production for the last year and they were able to bid at $612 mn.

Well you ppl are talking about the highest bidder getting the rights.
What if Cartoon Network or some kiddo channel bids worth $999? Would the rights go to them ?

I was not at all pleased with Sahara today.No commentary .I had to switch over to the DD for commentary.
Also the graphics are sick.Don't know how Nimbus paid 600 $ for that.
As you are saying they should tie up with ESPN/Ten to produce the feed.

I wouldn't count England out yet. India has a strange fascination for newcomers in the opposition team. We create heroes from zeroes. One of the new faces for England is likely to make an impact against India.

m_vaughan said:
Wonder what people from Eastern Europe and Timbuktoo must be thinking about people playing with ball and stick for five full days?

Anyways, I think India have already won the game. This is a good batting wicket, and I dont see how India wont score 500+. Its all upto Flintoff, Harmison and Hoggard.

But the ball reverse swung a lot today. It started reversing quite early and was reversing even very late in the day. Flintoff is the best reverse swing bowler in the world. England took the ashes because of the excellent bowling of jones and flintoff with the old ball. No Jones here... But I would expect Flintoff to bag quite a few wickets. Anything can happen. India are defenitely the favourites from here but I dont think it will be a walk in the park.....

harishankar said:
I wouldn't count England out yet. India has a strange fascination for newcomers in the opposition team. We create heroes from zeroes. One of the new faces for England is likely to make an impact against India.

Yea.. and i hear that Monty Pansar is quite impressive. Dont expect Blackwell to make much of an impression. Indians have been troubled by left arm spinners in the past. Remember Nicky Boje and Ray Price to an extend...

Ok, England are 246/7 after 90 overs on day 1. After being 88/2 at lunch.
Pathan reversed the ball like mad today. Also good capitaincy from Dravid - over rate on target, rotated bowlers well, good fields. The standard set by England is normally about 4 an over, they were crawling at 2.73. India are on top.

Well I know England are not playing their strongest team, but I would have liked to see Ian Bell and Kevin Pietersen get more runs.

ZoraxDoom said:
Ok, England are 246/7 after 90 overs on day 1. After being 88/2 at lunch.
Pathan reversed the ball like mad today. Also good capitaincy from Dravid - over rate on target, rotated bowlers well, good fields. The standard set by England is normally about 4 an over, they were crawling at 2.73. India are on top.
I dont mind that since England are playing without Vaughan and Trescothick...remember?

I expected Ian Bell to do a lot better, but Bhajji took care of him with the doosra...

Yep, India on top definately after day 1. Howeverm I wouldn't go so far as to say the game is over after day 1 (m_vaughan). That is the attitude of a part time supporter.

The game is a long way from over, the ball is reversing, the pitch is spinning, so we have a chance. Never rule out an England team of the last 24 months. If we can make it up too 300, or near enough, then that'll be "ok".

India's bowling was nothing special, they got a bit lucky, and the England batsmen through their wickets away, all bar Cook I would say, and Flintoff!

Well England definately looked focussed today though one would have expected them to lose their confidence after the streak of injuries suffered.They have batted well and if they draw this match
kudos to them !

JamesyJames3 said:
Yep, India on top definately after day 1. Howeverm I wouldn't go so far as to say the game is over after day 1 (m_vaughan). That is the attitude of a part time supporter.

The game is a long way from over, the ball is reversing, the pitch is spinning, so we have a chance. Never rule out an England team of the last 24 months. If we can make it up too 300, or near enough, then that'll be "ok".

India's bowling was nothing special, they got a bit lucky, and the England batsmen through their wickets away, all bar Cook I would say, and Flintoff!
England have it all to do, and without the pace and swing of Simon Jones, makes it more harder. I know day one is too early to predict, but 246-7 that seems to be a nice batting strip isnt a good start is it? I clearly mentioned about how it now all depends on England's bowling. When I said India have already won the game, I meant only they can lose it now.

And for your kind information had England been playing the same team of the last 24 months, I would be a whole lot more confident about a comeback tomorrow. Trouble is, they are not.

Mate i stay in a city known as Pune which is close by to Nagpur.We've just had a few light showers yesterday and are expecting some tomorrow as well.
Pray for some rain in Nagpur if you want England to save this match.

Users who are viewing this thread