• Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
JamesyJames3 said:
Yep, India on top definately after day 1. Howeverm I wouldn't go so far as to say the game is over after day 1 (m_vaughan). That is the attitude of a part time supporter.

The game is a long way from over, the ball is reversing, the pitch is spinning, so we have a chance. Never rule out an England team of the last 24 months. If we can make it up too 300, or near enough, then that'll be "ok".

India's bowling was nothing special, they got a bit lucky, and the England batsmen through their wickets away, all bar Cook I would say, and Flintoff!
You don't have to do something special to get wickets.
Just bowl the right length, line and put the batsmen under pressure...wickets will come your way.
That was the case with India on the first day.

What makes batsmen play poor shots? Pressure. What applies pressure? Good bowling.

Exactly. Bowl the right line+length and if batsmen play poor shots they will get out. batsmen almost ALWAYS get out to poor shots.

Yep. So credit should go to the bowling, not "poor" shots.
McGrath bowls excellent line/length, makes the batsmen play false shots and thats how lot of his bunnies get out.

You cannot excuse the team by saying "poor shots",
a) its due to the bowling and pressure created.

The run rate for the day itself shows that the Indian bowlers bowled a tight line and kept the batsmen under pressure. Also there was some good reverse swing bowling towards the end by both the pacemen. The spinners also maintained a nice line and lenght, though there was not much happening for them. The ball might turn from day 3 nut there's not much in the pitch for the bowlers tille then.

James219 said:
Strauss now dismissed for 28. A confident start but hopefully England don't suffer from too many setbacks early on. Bell seems well accustomed to the sub-continent conditions as opposed to alot of touring players, and has even said how he likes to bat in those sort of environments and on their pitches. But as anyone would, he'll have to fight hard in order to establish himself at the crease and push England ahead. And as a question for anyone who may know, does ******* streaming affect the download cap of the broadband connection, as I have a very limited one and it renews at the start of the month, which is obviously today.

Please dont mention specific streaming sites apart from the official streamer of the series Willow.tv. All other websites showing the series are illigal (even if they are free) so cannot be mentioned on Planetcricket.net. Its fine to mention the quality of willow.tv or how much bandwidth a willow.tv stream will use but dont mention other sites. If you really must link it to someone send a private message.

Messages mentioning streaming sites (other than willow.tv) will be censored and could lead to a ban from posting on the Cricket Chat forums.

Batsmen with the potential of Pietersen shouldn't be getting out to silly strokes early on. Cook showed the sort of application needed along with Collingwood and Flintoff. If you as the batsman apply yourself, you're putting pressure back on the bowler to get you out.

KP is that kind of batter. I mean, its worked before. Its a risk, I say you should have Colly as a test regular. Can do the job -along with Bell- of Thorpe. He can also hit out when needed, bowl, and field brilliantly.

cricket_lover said:
Yep. So credit should go to the bowling, not "poor" shots.
McGrath bowls excellent line/length, makes the batsmen play false shots and thats how lot of his bunnies get out.

You cannot excuse the team by saying "poor shots",
a) its due to the bowling and pressure created.

Your right, poor shots are created by good bowling, still means the batsman should've played the right shot.

Jones and KP for example.

If Pietersen hadn't showed that he can be patient already, then people wouldn't be quite so annoyed with him. But the fact is he has and it's infuriating!

angryangy said:
England's spinners shall save the day!
The good old English optimism.... ;)

stevie said:
If Pietersen hadn't showed that he can be patient already, then people wouldn't be quite so annoyed with him. But the fact is he has and it's infuriating!

But then at times he can be brilliant.

Oval, etc.

He'll be like this throughout his career though I think.

He'll screw up big time then next match be magical, still average high 40s in Tests though imo.

Yep. His 150 odd against Australia was a classic. It was controlled aggression that he displayed there.
He's still quite new to the international level and will take time to settle down. Just like Sehwag has done.

Great day for India!

The way England started, I thought they would be only 3 to 4 down for a score of over 300 or so. Then we it was 110/3, I thought well India might sneak in just 1 or 2 more wickets and still England will be at a good score of 270-280 for 4 or 5 wickets.

It has become easy for many to not credit the Indian bowling. Indian bowling has been perceived as the weak link of the Indian cricket team. So even when they do well, one tends to overlook that and blame the opposition batsmen's poor shot selection, etc. The fact is that, after the first hour, the Indian bowlers settled down to a very good rhythm and denied the England batsmen easy runs. The pressure was put upon England by the Indian bowlers and Rahul Dravid's imaginative captaincy (he brought in Sreesanth for Harbhajan and Sreesanth stuck in his first over removing Pietersen!).

Seems like Irfan is learning from the Pakistani experience. Yes, the English batsmen are less equipped to handle sub continental conditions, but on such a flat pitch, its tough for the fast bowlers and I have not seen Pathan reversing the ball much, so a good effort.

I still have doubts on whether India would be able to dislodge Collingwood and Hoggard because Hoggard can bat and Collingwood is on a score of 50+.So the first session is very important tomorrow. If India dislodge Hoggard and/pr Collingwood early, then they put two steps forward towards victory! If England can get to 350 and above, then they will feel optimistic of their chances of bowling India out. Remember its India who have to bat the fourth innings on this pitch.

So England are not out of the game yet! England supporters, dont lose hope! If Sreesanth and Pathan can reverse swing the ball, certainly Flintoff and Hoggard might also be able to!

Enjoyed a free Day 1 telecast on Dish Network! I dont think it would remain from now on! It was enjoyable!

indian pacers doing the job!
2nd day will be tough for England on the field in the post lunch and post tea session.they are surely going to feel the heat and the Indian batting won't be too comforting either!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread