• Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
andrew_nixon said:
Tufnell was 10 times the bowler Giles is. One of the few English spinners of recent years actually capable of ripping through a batting order.

Obviously you would've seen more of him than me but you're right he could though he was very inconsistent which balances out his record, but did have the ability to win matches and was a much better bowler. Giles doesn't trouble batting orders, he usually just takes a few important wickets at times.
And aussie1st that's true, and could also be because more moisture in the wickets and that does tend to assist offbreak bowlers, hence Underwood and others. But he was just a brilliant bowler and performed well everywhere.
The WACA produces Chinaman (or a wristspinner of any arm) bowlers probably because of the ability to exploit bounce out of it, not sure though.

Last edited:
Well good to see Panesar getting picked for the India tour. (though not officially confirmed, I hear)

However I have to say that Giles will be missed. If I remember correctly he had a decent series last time England toured India.

m_vaughan said:
Well good to see Panesar getting picked for the India tour. (though not officially confirmed, I hear)

However I have to say that Giles will be missed. If I remember correctly he had a decent series last time England toured India.

He's got worse since then. He did alright vs the WIndies last year averaged about 60 since.

India have a stronger batting lineup...Poms have a stronger bowling lineup

if Panesar and maybe Giles can perform well...England will have a chance

but i think India have the edge and the poms will struggle against Kumble.

It will be interesting to see Hoggard, Jones, harmy and Panesar as the bowling line-up. If Giles wasn't fit i'd pick them, Udal is as useful as an unemployed manure fan.

Its the conditions that England have to overcome in the subcontinent. The team is strong enough to beat any side in the world, as was shown during the Ashes of 2005.

m_vaughan said:
Its the conditions that England have to overcome in the subcontinent. The team is strong enough to beat any side in the world, as was shown during the Ashes of 2005.

Also, they need to prepare and not be over-confident, as this was one of their main weeknesses in Pakistan.

Drewska said:
It will be interesting to see Hoggard, Jones, harmy and Panesar as the bowling line-up. If Giles wasn't fit i'd pick them, Udal is as useful as an unemployed manure fan.
I agree :happy

I can't quite see Udal doing anything in India, the conditions will be similar to Pakistan when he struggled like hell :(

tsyrmas said:
Also, they need to prepare and not be over-confident, as this was one of their main weeknesses in Pakistan.

I think they will be well prepared! They had a humiliating experience in Pakistan and that would be deflated the egos that they had built up after the Ashes win against Australia!

I am sure the Indians are going to face a really tough and determined England side that would be thirsting for success (not trying to say that India would lose)!

genghis_khan said:
India have a stronger batting lineup...Poms have a stronger bowling lineup

if Panesar and maybe Giles can perform well...England will have a chance

but i think India have the edge and the poms will struggle against Kumble.

Based on the previous series for England in Pakistan, its definitely advantage India!

India start as favorites for the series! But the thing is when England toured Pakistan, Pakistan did not have pressure on them as they almost started as underdogs. But this time, India start off as big favorites to win both tests and ODI's. And mind you, being favorites brings its own set of pressures that India would love to avoid!

So the Indians would be under pressure to justify the tag of favorites. Its relatively easier for England now!

M Hoggard said:
Yeh I think Giles had a cracking India tour last time around. Hopefully Panesar will be a gem though :)
Nice Joke !

Giles had far from a cracking tour to India last time around !
He only picked up six wickets in the whole series !

He hogged the limelight more with his negative tactics !

aditya123 said:
Nice Joke !

Giles had far from a cracking tour to India last time around !
He only picked up six wickets in the whole series !

He hogged the limelight more with his negative tactics !
Lampard just scored 1-1!!!

Anyways coming back to the topic...negative tactics yeah, but I saw Sachin Tendulkar bowl the same line during the Allianz Test Series.

Users who are viewing this thread