England in New Zealand

Is this for sure? If not, I wouldn't be surprised if Cook bats third and Strauss opens...

My major concerns are:
Vaughan's batting: will he make 50+ runs or 2?
Hoggard: will he be too expensive?
Ambrose: now this is a major one for me: I like Matt Prior, and I haven't seen Ambrose play. Could someone tell me anything about his batting style/approach, or work with the gloves?

It's not confirmed, going on the positions in the warm up matches I think that will be the team and that will be the order (at least for the batters). I agree with others, Vaughan should be No3.

Vaughan should be at 3 and Bell at 6. If Strauss needs to be protected from the new ball (which apparently is the thinking behind the potential move to 3) then he shouldn't be playing.

Cook batting at three would be pure stupidity! He's an opener or nothing.
Yeah he only averages 52 there :p Had a very solid summer in 2006 at 3 and I think he could do fine there although he's better opening.

SS I agree about Carberry, would be good for someone in top form to come in but I guess they want to give Strauss a second chance. Carberry has to be next on the list for sure (although you can't ever be sure with England)

Nice to see Warwickshire's finest getting into the team (eg Ambrose and Bell) Personally I would put Bell 4th and Vaughan 3rd with Cook and Strauss opening. I like Cook and Strauss did well in the warm up. But lets see.

I think we'll end up with the right top 6, put Peter Moores and Vaughan screwing about with the order is doing nobody any favours in my book. If Vaughan wants to open, then put Cook at 3, that would be better than making Strauss do it for the first time in his career. Also, Ian Bell suddenly being our best player to the detriment of everybody else is something that I must have missed. He's played his best Cricket at number 6, but no, now we move Collingwood to 6 for no apparent reason. This just makes no sense to me whatsoever and we're going into the first Test with players in unfamiliar positions.

If we play Cook, Strauss and Vaughan, Vaughan should bat three with Bell at 6. It gives a good spread in the batting line up. I don't understand why every is writing off our key players all of a sudden. Vaughan had a fantastic summer and is still has only played 2 series since coming back from major injury.

if strauss bats at 3 then it shows lack of confidence in him from the selectors because everyone knows vaughan is a number 3 and not an opener so opening with him means the selectors dont really want strauss in, just him over shah, i think if tresco declared himself fit then he would be strait into the team with him and cook opening and vaugnah at 3, KP at 4, then Bell, Collingwood and then a keeper

Hopefully we have a good test. Starts in an hour. I have Uni, which sucks, but i'll record it and view any good bits (i'm doubting there will be many for us. We're gonna get trounced :( )

Ya Other points is that Strauss has played all his test matches as an opener..Anyway I mentioned that before..
Just an hour away from match start.I strongly believe Enland not gonna tested by their batting that much in compare to bowling.
Batting line up good enough and have just scored in practice match(except vaughn)..Only concern to me If NZ gonna bat first then Hoggard and Haarmy are good enough to take early wickets.Most strong point from NZ will be their opening..bell looks good.J How has been superb since he returned.
So Under question will be England's bowling rather than Batting..And NZ's bowling will be interesting to see..

EDIT:Well NZ have won the toss and selected to bat..Interesting I think NZ don't want to bat 4th in the test most probably..But early wickets are key here.If England allow J How to settle his nerve then he'll go long way!

EDIT:It took 46 balls for J How to get his 1st boundary for himself and for NZ..Anyway How looks desperate..And Sidebottom as usual Unlucky..But England have bowled well so far..

EDIT:Not a good start for Harmy...J How is playing sensible cricket here.I must say NZ on good start..

Last edited:
Hopefully we have a good test. Starts in an hour. I have Uni, which sucks, but i'll record it and view any good bits (i'm doubting there will be many for us. We're gonna get trounced :( )

You should have watch that..Complete session for NZ..J How at his best..With Fleming showed some aggressive cricket..NZ 87/1 at lunch..Very ordinary from England bowlers..Harmy should have count himself lucky for the only wicket..
Anyway test matches are always game of the sessions..So hope England bounce back in next session with couple of wickets from panesar..although he bowled well till now..

All credit to J How.Thats the way you should batting as an opener on 1st day morning..

Well Bell's injury looks serious. A key blow if he's unable to bat.

England looked ineffective with the ball. Harmison was poor despite picking up the wicket and England have a lot of work to do for the rest of the day.

We can't have Hoggard and Sidebottom opening the bowling on flat pitch such as this, since they're both swing bowlers at a simliar pace, which batsmen get used to.
If Harmison doesn't perform it might be time to go to Broad, who is still fresh after the ODI series and gives us batting at number 8.

Ya I hearted hes going for X-ray...
Regarding to Bowling.First I am not agree with three seemers...Without swing Honestly Bowler like Hoggard was so ordinary..Without Extra bounce from Pitch Harmy was Not at his best..Still Sidebottom bowled well.seems to me he was unlucky on couple of occasions..
I think England have missed out.>they should have played with Panesar and Swann..Panesar not bowled much..But I saw he was more effective then Hoggards over-pitched deliveries which were ended as boundaries..
England need to bounce back..Hope panesar will change a situation little bit after Lunch..

Users who are viewing this thread