England in New Zealand

Interesting reading this on BBC Sport.

I hope he can average 30 and take all his catches. That would be good enough since we're not asking keepers to have the abilities of Gilchrist and Stewart.

spot on, we simple dont have a keeper who is great at both his jobs so we have to put in someone who will take his catches first and bat second. prior is a decent batsman but how many did he droip in the sri lanka series, i felt sorry for sidebottom as they always seem to be off his bowling as well, i prob would of picked mustard for the trst side as hes been good behind the wicket in the ODI's, but i hope ambrose does well keeping first and gets runs second

Ya but England have made their minds to play with Ambrose..
Something Interesting I've found..Last time on Hamilton NZ played against SAF where we have three centuries in all three innings..So Pitch is perfectly for Batting.

With England picking Ambrose to wicketkeep in the first test, hopefully he can bat at 7 in the order which would leave Cook, Vaughan, Strauss, Bell, Pietersen and Collingwood ahead of him. This should mean that he has the quality infront of him who could put up a big score before he comes, so he's not underpressure. The worst thing that could happen is that England collapse to say about 100/5 which would leave Ambrose needing to get a score and it would put a lot of pressure on the young lad and without Experience at this level is more likely to get only 10/20 runs, which would be disappointing. If the pitch is good for batting which vaibhav mehta suggested from the last time a game was played there then hopefully this won't happen.

The team is almost certainly:

Cook
Vaughan
Strauss (I assume he plays at 3)
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Ambrose
Sidebottom
Harmison
Panesar
Hoggard

Looks quite good to me.

Ya perfect but If you want to go with Strauss then you must have him at number 1 or 2..He is genuine opener and he should be open.
If you don't want him to be open then better you go with Saha at number 6..
Still I count Strauss is one of the best opener England ever have.

gotta have strauss opening and vaughan at 3 surely!!!!!! vaughan is a wonderful batsman at number 3, one of the best in the world, but hasnt really fired opening for a while now!

also, could be harmys last chance this tour with broad looking great with both bat and ball

Ya also good point to be made..I was just looking at some paste records..And i have found that most of times Harmy got injured just before Big foreign tours..It has been always problem with his fitness..
one has never doubt about his abilities.Harmy is full of talent..But its all about application.How you apply yourself in needful condition??We have seen Broad gave some wonderful performance not only by his bowling but also his batting has been watchful..
There was time when England had no bowling option rather than Hoggard and Harmy..But now broad looking fit for test..Only problem with him is his age.Experience and Maturity are must needed character to play test cricket..Its all about 5 days cricket..Hope Harmy find his form..I really want England to fir after disappointing ODI series..

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/340909.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

England definitely using Ambrose now. Another blow for England. Though it seems Sidebottom and Collingwood are fine to play.

O'Brien for New Zealand has a toe injury and is replaced by Gillespie. I've heard reports that they're wanting to play 2 spinners which is exciting.

Bell
How
Sinclair
Fleming
Taylor
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Patel
Martin

would be my eleven. Sinclair bats at3 for CD and Fleming would prefer to be at 4. Elliot usually bats 5/6 so it's him or Taylor, and I think Taylor deserves another crack.

Last edited:
I have found one more interesting stats regarding Strauss and that say he never bats in test except opening..So he has played all his test Matches as an opener..

The team is almost certainly:

Cook
Vaughan
Strauss (I assume he plays at 3)
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Ambrose
Sidebottom
Harmison
Panesar
Hoggard

Looks quite good to me.

Is this for sure? If not, I wouldn't be surprised if Cook bats third and Strauss opens...

My major concerns are:
Vaughan's batting: will he make 50+ runs or 2?
Hoggard: will he be too expensive?
Ambrose: now this is a major one for me: I like Matt Prior, and I haven't seen Ambrose play. Could someone tell me anything about his batting style/approach, or work with the gloves?

Strauss has never batted at 3 so surely he'd open with either Cook or Vaughan at 3

lol @ kp breaking Mustards nose :p

Last edited:
Cook batting at three would be pure stupidity! He's an opener or nothing.

Vaughan can come down. I think hes good number 4.

Users who are viewing this thread