England in Sri Lanka March-April 2011/12

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Bad. Toss. To. Lose.

Still, if England can get some early wickets put the pressure on Sri Lanka.

Interesting choice as well, Samit makes his first appearance. Can't see him doing much bowling though, so basically picked as a batsman. Who will bat at 6? Prior or Patel?

----------

Still, test cricket in 22 minutes. Wahey :D

----------

Commentators all suggesting Bresnan should have played. Does seem like they've picked Patel for his batting against spinners, which to me seems a slightly negative choice and shows a lack of confidence that they'll bat any better here :p

Though I do feel Bresnan's bowling is overated somewhat, but he almost certainly would have bustled in and probably got a bit of reverse with an older ball. Guessing some new ball spells, then just short bursts to see if the ball is reversing and rotating around the spinners and trying to keep it tight.

Test cricket in 15mins wahey :D

is 5.15am too early for a beer? hmmm

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Worst of all worlds really. Someone who doesn't offer a proper batting option or bowling option. I bet he bowls very few overs.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Maybe they'll want to bowl him and Monty against the right handers, since everyone seems to have decided that Swann can only get lefties out?

----------

Waste of a review there. Especially when you might have long spells with the spinners bowling straight. Poor from England.

----------

I'm seeing Sanga or Jaya plumb to Swann or Monty with no review, or at least reluctant to take it, not given, and then a big ton.

Well, I'm not seeing it, because I'm not psychic, but might definitely happen.

England have got to bowl straight here to the new batsmen. Jimmy can't get too caught up up trying to tempt batsmen over an over or two and set up the inswinger. Won't get many overs with much help, and the batsmen early may just miss one. If they start timing it then fair enough adjust the lines.

----------

Come on!!! Good work Jimmy :)

Need to try and get one of Sanga or Jaya gone earlyish or they can pile on the runs on this sort of pitch. Hopefully Swann will get Sanga though (lefty).

----------

Sod Swanny!

Jimster you beauty! :D

(terrible shot from Sanga first up though, played it like he's spent the last month playing ODI cricket :p )

----------

Although weirdly, due to the conditions there's not excessive swing, but enough to find the edge at the moment. Hopefully Broady can find his line as well and we can get another one because this is still the sort of surface that a 300 run partnership can start building.

Last edited:

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Excellent stuff Broad! What a start. Are we gonna regret not having another seamer? Maybe, but not yet! :)

----------

Great start. Knock them over for 200 then get bowled out for 50...

Hahaha. Come on, it's not Pakistan, 100 surely?

----------

Aside from Sanga, these two are their best test batsmen I reckon, so if we can break them up this could be a really good day. As it is, they could still put on a big partnership together.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Good bit of fight this from these two. Massive partnership really as one of these go and you'd fancy England to whittle out the rest.

Here comes Swanny. *complete with image of his face pearing through an axe chopped bathroom door*

And there goes Swanny. Hmm, a lot of batsman are targetting Swanny at the moment. Either needs the pitch to have some turn or some pace and bounce against the right handers.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Not sure, just never got involved. I much prefer abusing people (friends I suppose I should call them :p ) on facebook when they post rubbish. Plus, I don't need people following me that I don't know, and anyone I want to hear my opinion doesn't get a choice anyway ;)

I thought that was out, really looked it, oh well, serves them right for the shocking Jimmy referral that they're down to none now.

*real answer is that he's old and facebook will do*

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, this was always going to be the big partnership once Sanga went. Samit looked as threatening with the ball as Bopara or KP would have done, obviously only a few overs though.

Does look like Bresnan could have played. Still, good session all around, let's hope those reviews don't cost a wicket (end of the day though you'd hope the umpire gets it right if it's straight on such a slow pitch).

Have to hope Broad or Jimmy bowl a good spell after lunch and nip one of them out.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
The secretary of the board, Ranatunga (not Arjun), apparently owns the TV station with the rights to the games so high ticket prices are a win-win for him. SL fans forced to watch his TV coverage and England fans pay 10x more than then Aussies paid a few months ago.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Heh, they were saying earlier on coverage that apparently everything has gone up in price. Hotels, shopping, tickets etc... Although they said that the normal tickets are the same price for everyone with the addition of the really expensive seats which come with air-conditioning. So basically no Sri Lankan fans, and as you say they have to watch his network.

Supply and demand was correct though, sold out apparently :)

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Haha excellent from the Sri Lankan commentator.

A portly English gentleman with no top on. Tony Greig suggests he needs to make sure he puts some suncream on, could go pink.

Sri Lankan commentator waited a second. "Looks like he's had some rice and curry though."

Users who are viewing this thread