England in Sri Lanka March-April 2011/12

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Haha excellent punning for before 9am in the morning :)

Yeah mighty big piece of luck that. Just what we needed as well, hopefully Jimmy and Broad can have a crack at the new batsman and get another one or two out. Monty always had a knack for running through tails back in his first England run.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Not bowled too well after lunch really. All very well trying a short leg and saying the pitch has no pace, but if you bowl long-hops outside offstump it really doesn't matter.

Anyway, Jayawardene is a bit good in these conditions isn't he. Doesn't even really try to do anything, just makes sure he lets the ball hit his bat and with the outfield it races away.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
This is why Patel should never have been picked for his bowling. He's just about effective at keeping it tight in an ODI, and even then it's nothing special. He's not looked like even keeping it tight.

Thing is they keep saying how well Panesar is bowling, and how much better a bowler he is, but as far as I can tell he hasn't had even a sniff of a chance yet, whilst at least Swann has had a few shouts and the batsman have felt the need to actually try and attack him.

This is an atrocious pitch though. Absolutely dead.

I see what you meant about tweeting now Barmy haha I basically just talk to myself during these early starts once you're at work :p

----------

Excellent mockers there by me :) Well done Samit, always knew you could do it :p

Christ sake Strauss. Why does he never bring an extra man in catching to new batsman? He is far too defensive in situations like this. Did it to Akmal (the keeper one) in the Pakistan. Just let him have easy singles instead of making him have to hit boundaries if he wants to score runs.

Annoys me so much when a captain doesn't bring a man in to put a new batsman under pressure. Especially when it promptly pops to where they should have been.

Think that had to be plumb really if it flicked the back pad and went over the stumps. Shame they didn't have any reviews left (may have just pitched outside leg I suppose, but it looked good).

Last edited:

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I think Strauss and Flower will want to give Patel as much bowling as possible in this heat and then at the end of the match tell people how well he's been doing keeping his weight down.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Patel is serving up a 4-ball an over from what I hear. The ball is reversing and Broad is bowling at under 80 mph. Should have played Bresnan...

Owzat

International Coach
Excellent stuff Broad! What a start. Are we gonna regret not having another seamer? Maybe, but not yet! :)

I'm torn between whether they could/should have played three seamers, Panesar/Swann and Patel, but that could have proven risky.

Last choice would have been playing five bowlers, I think they've made the right choice and whether it pays off remains to be seen. Leaving out Swann or Panesar would have been a gamble, as would playing five seamers and leaving us a potentially long tail. Frankly with two spinners Patel was lucky he got the ball at all, but at least he has repaid the selectors in part.

Get them out for 250 or less and we're in a game, but I'm sure I'm not alone in worrying more about our ability to bat than bowl

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Patel got a bit lucky. You could basically have had KP tossing down a few overs in the hope someone skies one trying to launch him. Which is what happened.

Swann has actually bowled quite well today, not got any luck though, and Monty has been highly ineffective.

End of the day, if you were a Sri Lankan batsman, would you rather be facing a spinner or a seamer and it really has put a lot of extra pressure on Broad coming off the ankle injury.

Jimmy has bowled beautifully though. Long gone are the days of only being able to bowl in England with swing.

----------

England's fielding has been excellent today.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
What a player Jaya is. Cracking knock, although I can't help but feel Strauss has again failed to attack the man at the other end with enough conviction.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Pitch has barely turned much at all yet... So it's certainly ominous :p

Jimmy dropping Jaya in the 90's is starting to look really costly.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Seems to be two different games going on. The one that Jayawardene is playing and the one that the rest of the batsmen took part in.

Can't even get Herath on strike at the moment, let alone get him out.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
It definitely was Barmy. Not the edge at slip, the caught and bowled that you'd except Jimmy to take 9/10.

Bowled him an excellent off-cutter which he kind of checked the shot straight back to Jimmy.

Yeah indeed. Jayawardene to be fair is making the pitch look as docile as it really is. England have had two run-outs in there as well, or this could be closer to 250/5. This is a 400 pitch batting first without doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread