Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ramnaresh Sarwan

• Shivnarine Chanderpaul

• Kieron Pollard???

• Total voters
I do agree MasterBlaster, BUT, we're not always scared.

I think it was a massive negetive Pietersen stepping down. His mentality is what we needed, If he was captain, we'd have won this series. I wholeheartedly believe it. If he'd been captain for that session, we'd have declared a little earlier and got the runs a little quicker.

Strauss is a typical English man, a bit reserved and just plans for the what-ifs?

True, at least with Pietersen, he's not afraid to take a few chances.

Still, well done to the Windies. It's been a long wait for you guys, so enjoy the celebrations. I've always liked West Indian cricket and it's good to see them building up to a decent team again. :)

Matt Prior Man of the Match? f*** off. He kept like a club cricketer, may have batted well but there's no way he deserved MOTM. Should have been Jimmy or Chanderpaul tbh, or possibly even Pietersen for getting England into a position to have a chance.

His keeping wasn't up to standard but he was the best batsmen in the match, two great knocks especially the latter for its speed.

Good to see they picked the right MOTS though, Sarwan was awesome in this series.

Prior wouldn't have had the chance to make his quick runs if it wasn't for Pietersen being there with him. Pietersen made a hundred off 80 balls, and although Prior did bat brilliantly, I think Jimmy did better overall, his bowling was superb, especially today.

I reckon Pietersen deserved it. He basically did what Sehwag did at Chennai, Went out here all guns blazing giving England a glimmer of hope. If not it should have been Chanderpaul. Prior may have batted well, but his Keeping was poor to say the least.

England down to number 6 in the rankings, which I think is fair enough. They tried hard throughout the series ,but unfortunately you aren't marked on effort, just results and the results weren't good enough.

England down to number 6 in the rankings, which I think is fair enough. They tried hard throughout the series ,but unfortunately you aren't marked on effort, just results and the results weren't good enough.

True, But you can't help but feel that England should be higher considering the amount of potentional talent they've got.

True, But you can't help but feel that England should be higher considering the amount of potentional talent they've got.
In terms of sheer talent, I think there are other teams who are better. England do work hard though, and they are disciplined but I don't think the team itself is extremely talented. As good as Swann and Anderson bowled, they're not that great. Only Pietersen is truly brilliant, and Flintoff's bowling, whenever he plays, and Collingwood's fielding. The others are good. No more, no less.

What would your series XI be? I'd go with:

Strauss
Gayle *
Sarwan
Pietersen
Collingwood
Nash
Prior +
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Edwards

That fair enough? You could justify Cook coming in for Gayle, but I'd give Gayle the captaincy, as he's at least done better than Strauss, even if I don't agree with their tactics in this final game. Nash had a better series than Chanderpaul as well, with Chanderpaul saving his series in the last Test. Broad, Anderson and Swann bowled well enough to get into the side, with Edwards being the 4th bowler, as he was consistently effective throughout the series.

Happy with that side, 7 England players with 4 West Indians, which although sounds harsh on the winning side, but I don't think any of the other West Indian's performed better than the English counterparts. Broad vs Taylor was a close one as well, but Broad took more wickets, but Broad took wickets on a more consistent basis. Taylor dominated at Jamaica, but I don't think that 1 spell is better than Broad's overall consistency.

Also, LOL at Nas wanting Mahmood to come in, he wants us to get better apparently, yet Mahmood coming in would make things far worse. I don't think we need out and out pace, we need a wicket-taker, and Davies is one. Jones should come in when fit, but he's not fit at the minute, and Davies is a hell of alot better than Mahmood.

Id have Taylor in over Broad or Anderson and maybe Chanders over Nash, just maybe but Nash deserves credit for the way he played.

Broad played a test more than Taylor, and Taylor was injured for Englands 2nd innings in the last test.

Last edited:
Got to have Jerome in there.

Ramdin>Prior.

Jerome took 8 of his 11 series wickets in 1 Test, was pretty mediocre after that. Broad took consistent wickets throughout the series.

Ramdin made 1 real big score, and that was on the flattest pitch I've seen for a long time. Prior was consistently good with the bat and good with the gloves until the disaster in the last game. I'd take Prior over Ramdin everytime.

Jerome took 8 of his 11 series wickets in 1 Test, was pretty mediocre after that. Broad took consistent wickets throughout the series.

Ramdin made 1 real big score, and that was on the flattest pitch I've seen for a long time. Prior was consistently good with the bat and good with the gloves until the disaster in the last game. I'd take Prior over Ramdin everytime.

as I said Broad played a test more, and Ramdin with the gloves owns Prior any day.

Users who are viewing this thread