Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shivnarine Chanderpaul

• Kieron Pollard???

• Total voters
What do we make of the OD warm-up?

BBC SPORT | Cricket Scorecard

Runs for Ravi, Bell and Mascarenhas. Wickets for Harmison, Anderson & Khan, with the latter being quite economical. Rash went at nearly 7 an over.

What's the team going to be?

I imagine Bell's in the side considering he was acting Captain, and with Bopara opening with Davies, that could be the opening partnership, although I'd guess Strauss'll come in to open with Bopara. Bell is probably battling with Shah for a place I'd guess, and with Shah failing and having a pretty poor tour so far it could be chance for Bell to show his stuff. Also looks like Batty's going to get a go, considering he bowled 10 overs and took a wicket, whereas Rashid only bowled 6 and got spanked. Rashid did get some runs though, so team balance could be looked at. Personally I'd go for:

Strauss *
Bopara
Shah/Bell
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
Prior +
Mascharenhas
Rashid
Broad
Anderson

I'd give Shah a couple of games, and if he fails at 3 then bring Belly in. I think Belly could be in the side anyway though tbh, considering he was captain in that Warm-Up. Just have to wait and see. I wouldn't be too annoyed if Bell came in, considering I'm abit of a Belly fanboy. Just so long Rav gets in the side for the full 5 games I'll be happy. I would rather see him batting at 3 though, with Trott and possibly Davies opening.

For the ODIs...

1. Andrew Strauss *
2. Ravi Bopara
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Owais Shah
5. Andrew Flintoff
6. Paul Collingwood
7. Dimitri Mascharenhas
8. Steve Davies +
9. Gareth Batty
10. Stuart Broad
11. James Anderson

Last edited:
No Bopara? =O I'd take Bopara ahead of Shah and Bell anyday of the week in OD cricket. Last season in County Cricket Bopara played some classic innings. The double ton against Leicestershire, his quickfire 60 ball hundred in the Pro40. Bell's played 1 innings of note on this tour so far, same with Shah. Bopara's had 3 innings and scored 2 hundreds and a 50, if that's not enough to get him in the side, then he may as well give up!

Why does everyone keep wanting to see him play, as proven by his performances in the Warm Up games throughout the series he's been expensive and taken hardly any, if any wickets.

Give him a few more years to develop.

No Bopara? =O I'd take Bopara ahead of Shah and Bell anyday of the week in OD cricket. Last season in County Cricket Bopara played some classic innings. The double ton against Leicestershire, his quickfire 60 ball hundred in the Pro40. Bell's played 1 innings of note on this tour so far, same with Shah. Bopara's had 3 innings and scored 2 hundreds and a 50, if that's not enough to get him in the side, then he may as well give up!

I've reconsidered my decision, Bopara should be in for Bell in my XI. Bell has a shocking record in ODIs in West Indies.

Rashid shouldn't be playing ODI cricket, it's only because we have no-one decent who bowls spin in OD cricket apart from Swann that he's even considered. Yorkshire never really bothered with him in List A cricket. Said this earlier in his career, same as Monty. How can we expect people to be good in OD cricket if their county doesn't bother playing them.

May seem a bit left wing but how about getting Monty back in the ODI setup. If he was to go back to Northants with his additional variations and do well in OD matches for them, I think he'd do quite well.

I think him and Swann could be quite dangerous in a team together one getting the ball to gout in the other away.

Monty's never going to be an OD bowler, he'd need to be bowling in OD games for a number of years to get anywhere near the standard required. He was awful in the few games he played for England, constantly bowling too fast.

I don't see why James Tredwell was dumped out of the squad so quickly. He was picked in the ODi Squad before Swann, but never got a game. He's got a much better record than Batty, and is better with the bat as well. He should be the back-up spinner if Patel and Swann aren't in the side. Although if we've not got a good enough spinner, why not pick an all pace attack? Just go with Broad, Anderson and Harmison/Amjad?

Monty and adil rashid show not good records in one day. I think grame swann better than both and he should in ODI team all time. I think adil rashid should give time developement two years. I been seen him bowl a bit last year . He had good action and bowling. He is silmiar shane warne.

Ravi Bopara can job in opener because he not fear and shot in a air. He could new Sehwag.

I think its too early to call on Monty in OD matches. He never had chance to really play alot of matches in that form of the game, and wasn't able to develop. His record isn't overly bad either tbh in OD matches.

It's not always their record though, you have to watch them bowl and add that to the judgement. Monty never, ever looked threatening in ODi cricket. He never flighted the ball, and just used to jam the ball in with very little guile and spin. He was nothing like the bowler he was in Test cricket, and his ODi games came when he was at his best in Test cricket.

His ODi record is pretty poor as well. 24 wickets at over 40 from 26 games, strike rate of 54.5 and an economy of 4.49. Certainly not anything slightly resembling impressive. He's only ever taken more than 1 wicket in game 3 times, 2 of them came against Bangladesh and Ireland, and the other in one of his few good performances at Perth against New Zealand, where he took 2-40 in a game where New Zealand made 300. He actually finished with better figures than Vettori. Not an ODi record to shout home about though, I'd want to see him run through County Attacks in OD cricket bowling with flight and guile like Vettori before putting him in the side ahead of a decent bowler. He also offers nothing in the field or with the bat, so I can't ever see him getting in the side and being successful tbh.

ROFL. So you've been campaigning for a guy who you've never seen play picked for England..................genius. Considered a job on the Sky Commentary team?

Well, according to reports he is a player with massive potential. So far England have made him carry round drinks, and mingle with the players.

Which is better for a players development, carrying round drinks, or getting vital match experience against a side before the world 20-20 and a ashes year?

Who's the genius now? ;)

Granted, he may won't be the finished article, but wouldn't you rather see him play over Gareth 'been there done that' Batty?

Users who are viewing this thread