Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ramnaresh Sarwan

• Shivnarine Chanderpaul

• Kieron Pollard???

• Total voters
Yeh, and it's not helped their records. Both are only starting to come good. Taylor averages 32 and Edwards 38. 32 may not sound too bad for Taylor, but considering he's easily the best bowler in the team it's not too impressive. I just don't think it helps the West Indies to bring inexperienced guys still learning their trade into the Test side. It happened with England and Broad and it's happened in the past with West Indies. They should definitely try and tempt Collins back to Test cricket, although as I mentioned earlier, his record in England last year wasn't anything too smart.

Yeh, and it's not helped their records. Both are only starting to come good. Taylor averages 32 and Edwards 38. 32 may not sound too bad for Taylor, but considering he's easily the best bowler in the team it's not too impressive. I just don't think it helps the West Indies to bring inexperienced guys still learning their trade into the Test side. It happened with England and Broad and it's happened in the past with West Indies. They should definitely try and tempt Collins back to Test cricket, although as I mentioned earlier, his record in England last year wasn't anything too smart.

it was the state of cricket at the time that forced Edwards and Taylor to get selected.
If they could get Collins in instead of Powell I would support it but than again I would support anyone instead of Powell.

27 wickets at 41 in England last summer shows that Collins is not really good enough for Test cricket either, especially considering last summer was pretty bowler dominated, especially early on. Probably shows the difference in quality between the 2 domestic systems as well. Collins has a fantastic record in WI domestic cricket this year, 16 wickets at 17. I don't think he's good enough for Test Cricket though tbh.

Yes but we are not playing in England!!! We are talking about a replacement for Powell, barring the Kolpak issue, and his form, he would be the obvious choice, maybe even for the whole series, the fact is he is the better of all the evils we have at this time. And this talk of taking up space of younger bowlers, means nothing when you want to win matches, the guy has what is required at this time, period!
You say he is not test cricket material, the question is who can you point out that can and will do better?? Tell me that.

And yes, you are very much correct when you speak about the two domestic systems, there are no comparison, in fact we basically do not have one. But be mindful when you take into account that your domestic system includes players from almost all the cricketing countries (except WI :p) every player in the system benefits, and by extension their respective countries and that's where West Indies has a disadvantage.
Look at this for example, both Devon Smith and Daren Ganga has FC averages above 35, but put them in the test match and they are not even 30, now compare that to your guys, your openers and you will se that margin in their favor, so yes we have a few young guys up and coming, but they need some time in your kind of system, or that of SA or Australia, and Nash is a great example, had he developed and played his cricket in the West Indies he would not be as good as he is. So bringing these Barker, Roach et al in there will change nothing.

What about Kevin McClean and Jason Bennett?

McClean played in the warm up game for WI A and was the best bowler on both sides on a flat pitch and Bennett has a terrific FC record averaging 21.54 and at a strike rate of 41.5.

Surely those would be better options than Lionel Baker who has an average of 43.

also Taylor was brought in after only one game for Jamaica, I think the same goes for Fidel.

Both guys just played one match each, in fact Taylor was a regional one day, but Edwards had a go at Lara in the nets and that was it, they were both on the team and have been since, so really and truly they are learning cricket at the highest level.
And I totally agree with Dan, there have to be a limit and end to just ushering young and unproven players into a test side simply because a few got in and developed on the team. Hey X-man has a lot of potential, but it is easy to see the guy just have not learn the basic, and that is why I keep mentioning to Dare that they need to be mindful and patient with Adrian Barath, everyone seems to be calling for him to be brought into the side, but at 18, with 15 FC matches he just not ready yet.

Seriously good day again for England. Everyone contributed with the bat except for Jimmy and Freddie who basically got an unplayable ball. Prior, Broad and Swann all played aggresively and allowed Colly to do what he does and play the anchor role.

There is definately a lot in this track so we really should win from here with 566 on the board and three days to play with. I can see Flintoff being in the wickets tomorrow.

Both guys just played one match each, in fact Taylor was a regional one day, but Edwards had a go at Lara in the nets and that was it, they were both on the team and have been since, so really and truly they are learning cricket at the highest level.
And I totally agree with Dan, there have to be a limit and end to just ushering young and unproven players into a test side simply because a few got in and developed on the team. Hey X-man has a lot of potential, but it is easy to see the guy just have not learn the basic, and that is why I keep mentioning to Dare that they need to be mindful and patient with Adrian Barath, everyone seems to be calling for him to be brought into the side, but at 18, with 15 FC matches he just not ready yet.

Xavier was brought in because of the players refusals to tour. I'm sure that he wouldn't have played a test up to now if the 1st choice players didn't strike.
Barath at 18 is way more mature than X is at his current age. He is one of the best players in domestic cricket and has scored runs unlike Marshall. At the moment I dont have a issue with him not playing because Simmons seems more than set to take the opener spot if Smith doesn't perform.

It was, wasn't sure it was a good move dropping Panesar but that was a great over, good one from Anderson to follow.

Lol, he bowls a full toss as I type :p

What on earth was that by Smith, absolutely awful shot.
To say that the West Indies can only really draw this game its quite poor that both wickets were basically giveaways.
Swanns looked decent so far so theres good signs coming from the middle but the next two are crucial Sarwan and Chanderpaul are arguable WIndies best batsmen, Chandpaul probably the best in thw world.

Themer added 7 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

Is it me or is Gower seeing something different to me, I didn't see any deflection let alone a big one as he's saying. It probably was a small nick but hes saying as though it was obvious

Entirely predictable that without the referral system in place something like that would happen. Massive edge. Everyone on the ground saw it and heard it apart from Koertzen.

Edit: it was obvious. Watch it again.

Users who are viewing this thread