Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ramnaresh Sarwan

• Shivnarine Chanderpaul

• Kieron Pollard???

• Total voters
Come on Tom, Dan you guys relax, I can understand your concern, I would be too if it was say Taylor or Edwards, but I believe that Flintoff will be fine, a week off before the next test, a soak in the Caribbean Sea, a couple coconut rum and good to go. The fact that they are 1 down with two to go, that is enough to drive the super players in the profession, I do wish him well, he is quick and good at what he does, and we have bowled him twice, which is always a beauty to watch, better when he does not score :p, and of course not many can hit Flintoff for 6, but Gayle :D, so is cricket all round and the guy is a champion, he will be there.
I guess Modi and friends in the IPL must be keeping a close eye on this as well!!

HA! what a lack of punch this England Bowling line-up has.....whats the point of bowling well to the good batsmen but you cant dismiss 2 of possibly the worst tailenders in world cricket - Edwards and Powell.

And the great news is Windies are still 1-0 up in the series. Pretty lucky to get away with draw though, then again if your opponent cant get you out you have little to complain about.

2 guys to do all the work? Broad, Swann, Anderson and Harmison are all capable of bowling enough overs to bowl West Indies out I feel. We did fine in the 1st innings when Freddie was injured and Harmison was feeling worse for wear. A fit Harmison plus the other 3 is more than enough front line bowling. Then if need be we've got medium pace from Collingwood and abit of spin from KP and Shah. I think there's enough there personally. I think bringing Rashid, Sidebottom or Khan in would just weaken an already dodgy batting line-up. Bopara could be an option in place of Bell though, he bowls very handy medium-fast, and has a very, very good slower ball out of the back of the hand.
Sure, they're capable of bowling overs, but if Flintoff is definitely out, then everyone whose name isn't Broad or Swann needs to start taking wickets.

Harmison would probably rue the lack of a 4th innings opportunity at Sabina Park and can possibly write off a chunk of his tour to bad luck (and curry), and turn it all around on a sharp deck at Bridgetown. Of course, if he doesn't he will be on thin ice.

However, James Anderson is a conundrum. If Harmison is just a bit of a homesick tourist, then Anderson is some sort of refugee. When playing away from those pleasant pastures seen, he has 29 wickets at an average of 49. The 8 wickets he took in New Zealand last year was his best ever Test tour tally, but even sitting in the diary of Steve Harmison, it would have been a forgettable couple of weeks. He is a new ball bowler, but he clearly does his best spells with a Duke in hand (or against NZ - but who doesn't?). His future depends on proof that he can regularly slice through top orders without one.

So Rabs who is out Smith or Hinds? I'm thinking they might keep Hinds in the team since he is from Barbados and take out Smith if they are even thinking of giving Simmons a chance.

I'd go with:

1.Strauss
2. Cook
3. Shah
4. Pietersen
5. Collingwood
6. Prior
7. Broad
8. Swann
9. Sidebottom
10. Anderson
11. Harmison

Bit risky with 5 bowlers but we need to win the next two matches so that means getting 40 wickets. Tbh I don't think its that bad. Prior's certainly good enough to bat at 6 and both Broad & Swann can loosely be described as all-rounders whilst Sidebottom & Anderson are more than capable of hanging around. And though Benn impressed in Jamaica, I reckon Taylor & Edwards are Windies' only major threats.

Their batting however is their strength and it was wickets, not runs that we didn't get enough of last time. If the West Indies show similar application as yesterday then they'll prove difficult to dislodge so we need as many options as possible imo.

So Rabs who is out Smith or Hinds? I'm thinking they might keep Hinds in the team since he is from Barbados and take out Smith if they are even thinking of giving Simmons a chance.

Well surely, Hinds will be kept in Barbados, and he do have the ability to send a few left-arm spin down as well, so that clearly give him and advantage.
If they keep Simmons then they have no choice, he must be played to partner Gayle and Smith did not do himself any good with his performances in the two test matches played so far, not with bat of in the field.

I would personally drop Smith and Hinds.
People may favour hinds since he play goo for Barbados, but I was shock that he got to Play in Antigua, Hinds is only a good player in WI Domestic, but can't play in International he got a chance already, i though Simmon would of gotten a Play.

I think they should Drop Hinds and Play Simmon. and Maybe Drop Smith and Play D Richard who was to make his Debut in the 1st test but was unfit, they should play him if he is Fit.

I wouldn't Trouble none of the other players.

Well surely, Hinds will be kept in Barbados, and he do have the ability to send a few left-arm spin down as well, so that clearly give him and advantage.
If they keep Simmons then they have no choice, he must be played to partner Gayle and Smith did not do himself any good with his performances in the two test matches played so far, not with bat of in the field.

Simmons is on 148 not out for T&T so he definitely has to be included in the XI.

Wasn't all that funny, tbh.

Baby steps ;)

Come on Tom, Dan you guys relax, I can understand your concern, I would be too if it was say Taylor or Edwards, but I believe that Flintoff will be fine, a week off before the next test, a soak in the Caribbean Sea, a couple coconut rum and good to go. The fact that they are 1 down with two to go, that is enough to drive the super players in the profession, I do wish him well, he is quick and good at what he does, and we have bowled him twice, which is always a beauty to watch, better when he does not score :p, and of course not many can hit Flintoff for 6, but Gayle :D, so is cricket all round and the guy is a champion, he will be there.
I guess Modi and friends in the IPL must be keeping a close eye on this as well!!

Ah, but the main concern for us is The Ashes. Say we push him for the next match and he does something really serious, like his ankle all over again. If we are missing Freddie for The Ashes, we already are at a major disadvantage before a ball is even bowled. I would take a series loss against the Windies if we got the Ashes back

Ah, but the main concern for us is The Ashes. Say we push him for the next match and he does something really serious, like his ankle all over again. If we are missing Freddie for The Ashes, we already are at a major disadvantage before a ball is even bowled. I would take a series loss against the Windies if we got the Ashes back

Dont have much of a chance to win the Ashes if you lose the series against the WI.

BBC SPORT | Cricket | England | England wait for Flintoff update

BBC Sport said:
Spinner Graeme Swann, who took eight wickets in Antigua, is also an injury doubt because of elbow trouble.

Well just to pile up our troubles then. :rolleyes:

Prior looks a doubt as well, with a chance his wife might go into labour early, so that means Ambrose comes into account.

Looking at Andy Flower's interview, it looks like it's between Bopara and Khan to come in for Flintoff.

Swann's injury is an interesting one with mostly likely Panesar coming back in if he's unfit.

Chance for Ambrose, Bopara and Monty. This to me would show to the world how Monty can handle pressure (if he plays).

Baby steps ;)

Yeah better of leaving him out for either Sidebottom or Panesar IMO. It depends what the pitch is like i suppose but i reckon the selectors will leave Flintoff out and swing more towards Sidebottom. But as Tom said it is all about the ashes, so there is no point risking it.

If i were the selector and the injury looked serious you are probably better off sending him home and giving him some rest time. It will also give other players a go and see how they do.

No killer instinct. Look at every series we've had, we blow it at the most crucial times in the games that can change the series.

Don't care if Freds gone, still need 5 bowlers as the last game proved. Have to be agressive even in our team selections because we have to win every game now.

Users who are viewing this thread