England National football team thread

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
There is one player at 19 appearances for his club in the league and he also happens to be the best player in the world.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
No this guy would supposedly be 'competing' with Oxlade-Chamberlain.

So as to not turn this into a "Guess the Footballer" thread, I will refer to him by name. Andros Townsend:lol.

War

Chairman of Selectors
On current form Townsend is not competing with The Ox for a spot though. Its quite clear Townsend lack of game time & decline in form since his efforts in those world cup qualifiers could very well and cost him world squad place. He didn't even start the friendly in March vs Denmark, so coach Hodgson is aware of his dip.

Not sure why you are sarcastically refering to him as the "best player in the world" also :lol

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
I've barely heard anyone say anything about him for quite a while.

at the end of last season and over the summer it was an insufferable ****fest because he scored from distance 3 times in a week and was suddenly the new bale.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Ye Townsend hasn't been hyped much at all, in fact whatever little hype he got from the notoriously wild UK football media has been normal.

He looked down playing for QPR @ the end of last season during their relegation battle, then started well for spurs this season & of course produced those brilliant performances vs ENG in those key qualifiers.

In fact i would say Townsend season is very similar to Walcott's 2009/10 season for Arsenal. Walcott scored that big hat-trick vs Croatia, then his average/poor form in the second half of the season made Capello didn't pick him (although i reckon, he probably would have not done worse the useless Shawn Wright-Phillips at the time).

----------

BBC Sport - Football Focus Forum: Jermain Defoe & Andy Carroll for England?

Defoe must be in the squad, he is still the next best goal-scorer behind Sturridge/Rooney. A few months in Canada isn't going to cause his skills to regress.

The Carroll one is an interesting one though. His style would certainly cause international defenders so trouble, but of late I'm beginning to worry how international referee's might treat him, compared to premier league ref's.

Plus the style of football Carroll is thriving under for West Ham currently, I don't see given all the creative & energetic young mid-fielders such of The Ox, Lallana, Henderson, Barkley, Sterling, Townsend - how he would fit it. Lambert would be better fit as back-up striker, plus of course he has a excellent penalty taking record.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Why Roy Hodgson cannot afford to ignore Liverpool's Raheem Sterling | Barney Ronay | Football | The Guardian

Hodgson obviously won't ignore him. The question now is if he ends up winning the title with Pool, if Hodgson will have to start him. Him being able to play in the hole instead of just as a winger, suddenly makes mid-field options even more complicated for the gaffer. Only Gerrard really is guaranteed a start if the 4-4-2 diamond is played, now that I have a rethink.

Lallana, Wilshere, The OX, Sterling, Henderson, Barkley are in a battle for 3 spots. ENGs youngsters have certainly come age this season.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
in all honesty I wouldn't take wilshere if I was hodgson, he has numerous better options. what has wilshere actually done except be on the pitch near good players?

War

Chairman of Selectors
in all honesty I wouldn't take wilshere if I was hodgson, he has numerous better options. what has wilshere actually done except be on the pitch near good players?

At worst Wilshere might not start because other players have played better than him this season. But he certainly should be in the squad.

Injuries have slowed down his progress a bit, but lets not get trapped by the typical British media syndrome of expecting too much from young english stars.

Before he got injured this season, Wilshere was showing very good versatility playing out in the wing, which was adding a new dimension to his game.

Users who are viewing this thread