Story England's Journey to WorldCup-Ashes06-07 : 3rd Test (Perth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia pegged back after a good start

We are down to the final session of the day 5 of the 2nd test match and still the match is evenly poised with just 30 overs to go and it seems that the match can go either way. Australia needed 307 runs from 70 overs to win this match and their openers Justin Langer and Matthew Hayden gave them a perfect start and a solid platform so that they could go for a win.On the other hand, England bowlers were looking helpless against this opening pair as they smashed them to all parts of the ground as if they were determined to chase this target with lots of overs to spare. Matthew Hoggard did a fair job just before the lunch break when he almost picked up a wicket as Australia were trying not to lose their wickets in those 10 overs.Hoggard was bowling very well in the start but from the other end Stuart Broad was way too expensive in his first three overs as a result of which he was taken out of the attack and was replaced by Andrew Flintoff. Broad gave away 25 runs in his 3 overs and was struggling to pitch the ball in the right areas. But it didn't make any change to the intentions of the openers as runs were coming thick and fast and at this stage it was looking as if England will go 2-0 down in this series. From somewhere England needed a breakthrough as soon as possible as the partnership was nearing 100 runs and both the batsmen were well set.

Good start by the openers
i1555368_282.jpg

This resulted on a change in the fielding positions as Michael Vaughan decided to stop the run flow. Square leg was pushed back to deep square leg position while midwicket was brought in to short mid-wicket as a catching position. This will surely stop the run flow at the moment and it may also result in a loss of wicket if the batsmen try to play a rash shot in order to score quick runs.

Change in the field : Animated
283lq3.gif

Finally the first breakthrough
Finally, England got their first breakthrough. Monty Panesar did the magic with his spin as he clean bowled the in-form Matthew Hayden. Hayden,who trying to play against the spin and force the ball on the offside in the vacant area, missed the ball completely and it went on to hit the middle stump. Hayden would have been very disappointed after that dismissal as he looking in a good touch with the bat and lost his wicket when he was nearing his half-century.

Hayden departs as Monty strikes
i1555337_278.jpg

Both the openers back to the pavilion
That brought the Australian captain Ricky Ponting in the middle. Ponting had a good series so far with century and a half-century and now will be hoping to continue his good form to lead Australia to victory. But Andrew Flintoff made another breakthrough to get rid of Justin Langer. Flintoff was consistently bowling on and around the off-stump but Langer chased one which was moved away after pitching and only managed to get a thich outside edge and Collingwood took a stunning catch to get rid of him. Collingwood dived full length to his right side and took a spectacular catch to get rid of the 2nd opener. This catch might swing the match in England's favour and another quick wicket will put Australia on the backfoot.

Australia 90/2
i1555380_279.jpg

Stuart Broad strikes
Wickets were not coming easily as both Ponting and Hussey started to build up a partnership for the 3rd wicket. Hoggard was going for some runs while Flintoff was exhausted after bowling a long spell. Stuart Broad, who was expensive in his first spell of 3 overs, was brought back in the attack and all he needed to do was to pick a wicket for his team. He was getting the ball to pitch in the right areas this time and the odd ball was slightly keeping low. At last Broad got a wicket and that too an important one of Ricky Ponting. Pointing's eyes lit up when he saw an over pitched delivery outside the offstump and went for the cover drive but he failed to time that one correctly and in the end it went straight to Monty Panesar. Broad got his first wicket thanks to Monty who took the catch neatly.Australia are now finding themselves in a spot of bother but they still have a long batting lineup to follow.

Ponting departs
280ml9.jpg

Even after they lost 3 wickets their scoring rate was not affected at all. They were scoring over 4 rpo and it was looking as if the match was still slipping away from England. But Broad produced a beauty to get rid of another Australian batsman and this time it was Andrew Symonds. Broad once again bowled around the off-stump after and this time the ball bounced more than expected and it was Collingwood again who took another good catch with his safe pair of hands. Australia lose their 4th wicket just before the stroke of tea and now they area in trouble as M.Clarke comes out to bat with 8 minutes remaining for the tea session. With a new batsman at the crease England are now with an attacking field and their only aim is to pick up the remaining 6 wickets in 30 overs. There is a big gap between the point and the cover fielder to encourage the batsman to go for the drive in order to get the outside edge.

Broad strikes again
i1555376_281.jpg

Change in the field
285iw1.jpg

At tea, Australia have lost 4 wickets with Hussey and Clarke battling in the middle. England have made a solid comeback after Australia made a good start to their innings. Still Australia are in a fighting distance to chase the target with 30 overs left but their only concern will be the number of wickets left in their hands. Australia need 147 runs in 30 overs at a required run rate of 4.9 runs per over with 6 wickets left in their hands. Still they have Gilchrist to follow but at the moment its evenly poised and either team can be victorious.

Australia scorecard
i1555363_283.jpg

England bowling card
i1555358_284.jpg

England(1st inn) : 522/9 dec (161 overs)

Australia(1st inn) : 435/10 (118.3 overs)

England(2nd inn) : 219/10 (70 overs)

Australia(2nd inn) : 160/4 (40 overs)

Day5, 1st session :Australia need 147 runs to win in 30 overs with 6 wickets in hand

Will Australia win this match and lead 2-0 or will England pull of a stunning victory or is a draw still possible? Stay Tuned to watch the climax of this match.

Yeh draw still seems on the cards for me. But if England get two early wickets then they are really in with a chance. I don't think the Aussies will risk it if the run rate gets too high. Great work Gamer :)

Who knows, Australians can win this match and take it to 2-0! :) Its still possible.. Com'on Aussies! :p

Tough one, but Hussey and Clark can still do this. Better not lose from here but...:p

I guarantee England will win and Broad will take the winning wicket. maybe

COME ON ENGLAND
awesome update hope the next one is going to be good for england
KUTGW as alway gamer awesome stuff

Aussies are playing real aggressive cricket....But Broad has got some important break through....It can go either way...stll Gilly to come...but i predict England gonna win...it is becoming a great match....

PS:Sorry Gamer...internet got disconnected that time....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread