England's stars 'want IPL chance'

I don't know what everyone's problem is.
Sure, its pulling some players out of their own domestic set up. But, if they're willing to pay the money for breaking the contract why not? Its not damaging world cricket, its helping it move on to the next generation. Its going to be an exciting tournament, no doubt. Just because you guys won't be able to see your players live for a season doesn't mean the sky is going to fall down. :rolleyes:.

If people pull out of their national team, however, I see a problem.

English cricket has been struggling as of late. We don't need our best players going into the IPL at this stage. Basically what you're saying is by joining the IPL instead of playing for England is you would rather play somewhere else for money than represent your country.

This is off topic, but one thing I don't get about IPL is how comes players go to play in IPL instead of their countries, like Shane Bond I heard he was missing from the England v New Zealand series because he had gone off to play for IPL....

This is off topic, but one thing I don't get about IPL is how comes players go to play in IPL instead of their countries, like Shane Bond I heard he was missing from the England v New Zealand series because he had gone off to play for IPL....
You are mixing up your P's and your C's ;)

Shane Bond is in ICL and he is fired by NZC.

Bond signed for the ICL so the New Zealand board cancelled his contract.
...After they told him he could sign with ICL to boot.

The phrase ****ed over comes to mind.

Bond had signed contract after consulting NZC as NZC thaught that he will be eligible to play for them but then ICC and BCCI banned ICL assosiated so NZC had to terminate the contract once Bond decided not to break ICL ties.

ICC and BCCI = Suckers

Actually its nothing much to do with the ICC apart from the fact that the ICC has a ruling that all other boards will support the home boards domestic decisions.

So in effect all other boards have to agree with how the BCCI runs its cricket domestically. Of course this works both ways, if a rival to the English domestic scene was setup, the ECB would expect the support of all the other boards.

ECB is thinking of EPL. I think next century cricketers will be wealthiest of lot.

The proposed plans for the EPL are to be quite frank a joke.

What do they need to do with T20 in England? Nothing, the grounds are already full for T20 games so it can't really be expanded upon, Ok you could play more games but people really aren't going to flock to a minor county vs a university, or a club vs a university for that matter.

At the end of the day, cricket just isn't that popular in the UK as to command the massive amounts of money the IPL does. IPL is like Premiership football (in india). Cricket in the UK is never going to compete with football so why muck it up with some half baked, recycled, knee-jerk reactionary tournament. Leave it the hell alone!

I agree, English Twenty20 is a brilliant competition and needs not be changed.

I believe that English players joining the IPL will be beneficial for all involved as it will bring the ICC one step closer to realise that a slot is needed in the international calender for it. Although the sentiment of an Indian domestic league having a slot on the international calender is not ideal, it is far better than having players miss international games in order to play in the IPL.

The ICC should not clear space for IPL under any circumstances. It's a domestic competition. It doesn't matter how much players are earning, it should still take second place to Internationals.

I think in the long run players will realise this and after an initial exodus the draw of representing their country will win through.

The ICC should not clear space for IPL under any circumstances. It's a domestic competition. It doesn't matter how much players are earning, it should still take second place to Internationals.

I think in the long run players will realise this and after an initial exodus the draw of representing their country will win through.

I disagree and feel that players should not have to choose. A rest period of IPL T20 would be beneficial for international players as it would reduce the cramped international schedule somewhat. Likewise, I feel that there should also be other international 'rest periods' too (which don't necessarily have matches in them) and that the IPL can raise the initiative for such.

Strange that all the talk of player burnout have suddenly disappeared now there is big bucks on offer isn't it.

IPL is a normal domestic competition and as such should be treated as one. Would you have a rest period for the Australian Big Bash T20 or the English T20 too? No you wouldn't. Just because IPL is paying big doesn't mean it should get special treatment.

Players can choose to take part in IPL if they wish but if international players say they are doing it for anything rather than the money they are fooling nobody (except maybe you :p)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread