English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Collymore will be registered as a non-overseas player, under the terms of the Kolpak ruling, which states that "any citizen of a country with an associate agreement with the EU [European Union] has the same rights as a European worker".

His native Barbados is one a number of Caribbean nations to have an agreement with the EU, along with South Africa and Zimbabwe.

BBCSport

WestIndian

vBookie Team
I too am happy for Corey, and every other WI players that can get into the county arena, the expereince can only do them good and their cricket, I hope it helps them in social, physical and professional standing. I believe that the County Cricket is a good tool for all playing nations, including ENGLAND. In fact Collins, also a Bajan and Kolpak, is with Surrey and so far I think he is doing ok. His brother, Fidel Edwards will join Worcestershire as their overseas player from July and at 90 mph, I believe that he will be a handful to deal with.

lancashire666

International Coach
Fidel Edwards was the Windies best bowler when he was brought into the team in last years series here in england, he is fast and dangerous, he just lacks some control at times, but he definitely has talent

WestIndian

vBookie Team
Well one of the reasons that am very happy for him, is that he would learn to gain some of that control and accuracy, but most importantly, staying healthy, too often he breaksdown. If he can do that, then look out.

lancashire666

International Coach
i totally agree that he can only improve with cc game experience behind him, but think that it may take more that a single season for him to become the bowler he can, a couple of years in the englidn domestic game and as to play as many games as he can and him and Chris Jordan can be the backbone of a new high quality West Indian team!

.Mob

International Coach
Plus Jerome Taylor is in another class to Fidel Edwards, I think. He is going to be something big, this guy.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
From BBC.com Sports Page :-

Justin Langer's Somerset column [2008]

By Justin Langer
Former Australia batsman and Somerset captain

I was shocked at the ferocity of the Flintoff onslaught at Old Trafford

If I was the sole selector of the England Test team, Andrew Flintoff could bat at number 11 if it meant playing him.

Since the 2005 Ashes series, it has been my strong opinion that he is the best fast bowler currently playing international cricket - he must play in England's first XI.

In many ways it is a luxury to have the gladiatorial Lancastrian batting at number six and acting as the fourth bowler.

There have been whispers that he needs to score runs to scrape into the England line-up.

But I have never known Curtly Ambrose, Courtney Walsh or Glenn McGrath having to score runs to be selected.

There is no doubt Flintoff is a more talented all-round cricketer than the three legends I have just named, but he is in equal company when it comes to delivering a cricket ball.

Only last week I padded up against Lancashire in the County Championship for Somerset and I can say first hand that Flintoff is absolutely ready to be picked for the first Test against New Zealand even if he's picked as a lower order #7 Batsman below Ambrose & 4th Pace Bowling Option with Sidebottom, the Swinger Anderson & the talented Broad.

One of the joys of retiring from international cricket was knowing that I wouldn't be peppered by the world's best fast bowlers ever again.

This in mind, I was shocked at the ferocity of the Flintoff onslaught at Old Trafford.

As I kept saying to him, I could have understood if I was batting with Matthew Hayden and wearing a green Australia helmet with a kangaroo and emu embroidered on the front.

Flintoff's spell for Lancashire was just as ferocious as any from the Ashes

Instead, I was in a red Somerset helmet with Marcus Trescothick partnering me, so if I was ever in for a reprieve from England's best fast bowler then surely that would have been the time.

History will suggest this couldn't have been further from the truth.

For about an hour I could have been in the boxing ring with Joe Calzaghe and by the end of it I had literally copped a hammering.

My ribs, elbow and chest were so bruised I could have been confused for Bernard Hopkins in Las Vegas!

Both Marcus and I agreed his spell was one of the great ones either of us had ever faced and while it was ugly - and at times intimidating - it is what we miss about playing international cricket on its toughest days.

The thing that distinguishes Flintoff from the rest is every time the captain throws him the ball, the opposition team sit on the edge of their seats hoping he doesn't destroy the game during his spell.

Last week at Old Trafford was no different as if Australia were playing an Ashes Test match.

The opposition may have been different - but the feeling was identical.

There is no doubt the big fiery quick must prove his fitness but, from what I have seen, he is ready and he would be in my team every single day of the week.

He had that hungry look in his eye and a hungry and inspired legend must be selected every time they are fit because they simply win games by their presence and skill.

From Somerset,
JL
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, definitely. If he's fit enough to bowl, who cares whether he can even hold a bat right way up. You can afford to make a lot of concessions for Flintoff and still have a much better team as a result.

Vcassano

Club Cricketer
I tend to agree angryangy. He's going to get injuries whether England rest him or play him. Screw the long term, just play him when he's fit.

In other injury-prone cricketer news Simon Jones just took 5/92. Good start.

Sureshot

Executive member
Is Simon Jones finding his old form? Two 5-wicket hauls in quick succession.

irottev

School Cricketer
Wickets for Bond. What we would have done to have him in our test side. I still have hope the whole ICL thing will be sorted out and Bond can play for us again some day.

jimmymycrushie

School Cricketer
Yeah, the ban by BCCI that ICL contracted players can't play in other leagues, tournaments & series is ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread