English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters

ferg512

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah, but even Division 2 county cricket would be a lot higher standard than NZ domestic cricket. In fact I dont really think opposition quality matters that much tbh. It should do nothing but good for Guptill, a few of our other players could do with following suit, not just picking up those twenty20 contracts then buggering off as I recall Taylor, Styris and McCullum all picked up last year.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yeah, but even Division 2 county cricket would be a lot higher standard than NZ domestic cricket. In fact I dont really think opposition quality matters that much tbh. It should do nothing but good for Guptill, a few of our other players could do with following suit, not just picking up those twenty20 contracts then buggering off as I recall Taylor, Styris and McCullum all picked up last year.

Not too sure on the bolded statement, I'd say that NZ Dom cricket is somewhere between the two divisions. Franklin went over and was having a great time with bat and especially with the ball, whereas over here he can't bowl to save himself

ferg512

International Coach
Hmmm yeah forgot about that, good point. But he has actually always done really well with the ball for Wellington even recently iirc.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Not in first class cricket he hasn't. James Franklin over last couple of seasons for Wellington has been averaging close to 50 with the ball. Now that alone doesn't prove anything in regards to what competition is stronger, the conditons over there would be a lot more favourable to swing bowling. It does however probably show that division two cricket isn't all that strong because Franklin even if he's moving it all over the shop is only bowling in the mid 120's these days.

Last edited:

jibranpatel15

School Cricketer
England gave largest domestic structure but still they can not find English man to represent their country is a real shame. Look at England team with KP,TROTT,MORGAN,ANDERSON all from SOUTH AFRICA. :hehe:

War

Chairman of Selectors
HAAA @ jibranpatel15 saying Anderson is from SA. :facepalm Some crazy stuff is said on the net these days..

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
@ JibranPatel : Every England bowler in the squad hails from England ! :facepalm

And btw , Somerset have re-signed pollars for the t20s and snapped up Mendis as cover for the ever impressive Murali Karthik . Once again , looks the team to beat in the Season to come .

AndyRAC

School Cricketer
BBC Sport - Cricket - Durham paceman Graham Onions receives bowling all-clear

Good signs. ENG have alot of good quick bowling options these days & will be even stronger when he returns.

----------

NICK HARRIS: Old Trafford's Test future threatened by legal case | Mail Online

Terrible stuff. My home ground cant loose test matches.

Problem is that it can. While you have to feel sorry for Lancashire - it has to be said, Old Trafford has needed a good refurbishment for years. It's an awful ground, facilities aren't up to scratch for a 21st Century sporting venue. Just look at it - a right mix of stands and buildings, no uniformity. The powers that be rested on their laurels and expected Test to be given to them - because of history and tradition. They've left it too late to do something.

Actually, a lot of the English grounds have only decided to refurbish in the last few years. For far too long, a lot of English grounds have been well below par. Problem is, it costs money - and there's very little in the county scene. I really think it's time for it to become semi-pro - it's simply unsustainable, relying on hand-outs from the ECB. Sorry, that's no way to run a supposed professional sport, and our 'national summer game'. Or is it? I actually think the counties like Lancs, Yorks, Surrey, etc should play their County Championship games at 'out grounds' - there's nothing worse than seeing a game in front of 3 men and a dog in a large ground. At least Lancs are doing that this year with Aigburth, Southport and Blackpool being used. What's the use in having a Test ground if it is full only a handful of days??

War

Chairman of Selectors
Ye no doubt OT has needed refurbishing for a good few years. But i dont think its that bad as it is still TBDH. Just some minor changes are needed and it would be fine.

Grounds like OT should always be test venues given its tradition. England players know those grounds well & some grounds in history home teams know what to expect from them & thus can plan better. If you keep awarding new grounds test venues like Cardiff, its almost like ENG would be playing on a neutral venue & that negates home advantage.

AndyRAC

School Cricketer
Ye no doubt OT has needed refurbishing for a good few years. But i dont think its that bad as it is still TBDH. Just some minor changes are needed and it would be fine.

Grounds like OT should always be test venues given its tradition. England players know those grounds well & some grounds in history home teams know what to expect from them & thus can plan better. If you keep awarding new grounds test venues like Cardiff, its almost like ENG would be playing on a neutral venue & that negates home advantage.

Cardiff should never have held a Test, and an Ashes test for that matter. 16,000 capacity - that's just a joke, in fact all our Test grounds are pretty small, when you consider we think we are a major Test nation.
While i agree with you regarding tradition - if there are better and bigger grounds, then they should be used. The RoseBowl in Hampshire is a good ground, and will be extended. Also, it looks like a cricket ground, as does Trent Bridge. Headingley is a blot on the landscape - an awful looking ground.

Users who are viewing this thread