English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah they don't, their shite :p They had their chance's and they bottled it, then again it was because I was at St James when they lost 2-0 and I am Newcastle's lucky charm ;) The Toon and West Brom both easily deserved the auto promotion spot, after that I wasn't too fussed.

Yeah I know what you mean when you are there etc I have that too.

Whenever I watch Australia in the cricket they win, whenever I turn away or stop watching a wicket falls and start losing.

Yeah but no matter how you look at it, it's tough man, I can almost see teams trying not to finish 3 if that spot is pointless in the promotion race!! I would rather finish 4 and be in the playoff!!

Michael Carrick really can't go to the world cup. Since that shocker he had in the CL Final againts Barca last season, he really hasn't been himself.

If as the rumours is that Barry will be fit for the WC - but not until the 2nd or 3rd group game. His best replacement on form really is Scott Parker for the opener vs USA.

Joe Cole closer to England exit with likely snub | Football - Times Online

Also i hope this rumour aint true. I really do hope Capello doesn't leave Cole out. Form is temporarly class in permanent. Yea Adam Johnson has come on great, but why does he have to be challenging Cole for a place?. Can't he pick both Cole & Johnson.

The 23 i hope Capello picks now:

GK: Green, Hart, James

DEF: Ferdinand, Terry, King, Carragher, A Cole, G Johnson, Baines

MID: Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Milner, Parker, Walcott, Lennon, J Cole, A Johnson,

STR: Rooney, Crouch, Defoe, Heskey

Michael Carrick really can't go to the world cup. Since that shocker he had in the CL Final againts Barca last season, he really hasn't been himself.

If as the rumours is that Barry will be fit for the WC - but not until the 2nd or 3rd group game. His best replacement on form really is Scott Parker for the opener vs USA.

Joe Cole closer to England exit with likely snub | Football - Times Online

Also i hope this rumour aint true. I really do hope Capello doesn't leave Cole out. Form is temporarly class in permanent. Yea Adam Johnson has come on great, but why does he have to be challenging Cole for a place?. Can't he pick both Cole & Johnson.

The 23 i hope Capello picks now:

GK: Green, Hart, James

DEF: Ferdinand, Terry, King, Carragher, A Cole, G Johnson, Baines

MID: Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Milner, Parker, Walcott, Lennon, J Cole, A Johnson,

STR: Rooney, Crouch, Defoe, Heskey

I agree with you there. Joe Cole should go because he gives the extra dimension to England's play. As for Adam Johnson, I'm not sure about him though. He maybe able to deliver dangerous crosses from the flanks but from what I've seen in the league, he only plays on the right side and tends to become a bit anonymous in big games.

Last edited:
I agree with you there. Joe Cole should go because he gives the extra dimension to England's play. As for Adam Johnson, I'm not sure about him though. He maybe able to put in dangerous crosses from the flanks but from what I've seen in the league, he only plays on the right side and tends to become a bit anonymous in big games.

Yea plus i dont even think we 100% need to have a natural left-footed player in the squad with guys like Milner & Lennon capable of playing their effecively.

But its out of us fans hands. Its clear young Johnson has impressed him & it seems like he will go to SA. Its just i hope he doesn't take him instead of J Cole - but takes them both instead.

Carrick will have to go, as just like Walcott or Cole, although he's been in poor form, England don't have a better option, unless Scholes was to miraculously change his mind.

Johnson should go, at the very least, for the experience but alongside Cole.

carrick is one of the most over rated footballers in recent years, someone please explain to me what he actually does other than slow the game down he passes the ball towards his own goal more than his opponents, cant tackle and dont score hardly any goals, id rather take a man with no knees in hargreaves than carrick.

Carrick will have to go, as just like Walcott or Cole, although he's been in poor form, England don't have a better option, unless Scholes was to miraculously change his mind.

Johnson should go, at the very least, for the experience but alongside Cole.

If Parker plays in the friendly vs Japan & does well he should go ahead of Carrick. Parker during his days @ Chelsea & Newcastle was always a better all-rounder mid-fielder than Carrick. Injuries messed up progress in recent years - but he wont look out of place in the national side.

Carrick has been really bad since that shocking night he had in last years CL final. Although Walcott & J Cole haven't had great seasons also. At least they have the excuse of injury & at times showed glimpses of their best work this season.

I love Scholesly. But not sure if he is the best like-for-like replacement of the injured Barry. Scholes can't tackle.

Lee1981 said:
carrick is one of the most over rated footballers in recent years, someone please explain to me what he actually does other than slow the game down he passes the ball towards his own goal more than his opponents, cant tackle and dont score hardly any goals, id rather take a man with no knees in hargreaves than carrick.

To be fair to Carrick although he is over rated. Its only this season that he has been having a shocker. He had been holding his own crica 2004/05-2008/09 for Spurs/United/England fairly well.

Carrick can't play in 2 man mid-field @ international. He needs to play alongside a strong defensive mid-fielder or two who will do the tackling, while he tries to do a Pirlo or Xavi from mid-field with his passing.

But sadly his passing game has gone this season.

He only seems to pass the ball sideways or backwards, and considering we struggle to create anything but goals from set pieces we cant have someone in our team playing so negative all the time, i just wish we had a fit hargreaves, we miss him so much in the middle of the park, although fair play to barry he aint my cup of tea but he does a good job.

If Parker plays in the friendly vs Japan & does well he should go ahead of Carrick. Parker during his days @ Chelsea & Newcastle was always a better all-rounder mid-fielder than Carrick. Injuries messed up progress in recent years - but he wont look out of place in the national side.

Carrick has been really bad since that shocking night he had in last years CL final. Although Walcott & J Cole haven't had great seasons also. At least they have the excuse of injury & at times showed glimpses of their best work this season.

I love Scholesly. But not sure if he is the best like-for-like replacement of the injured Barry. Scholes can't tackle.
Well he probably won't, so don't hold your breath. And he's never been a better "all-round" midfielder, whatever bizarrely vague description that is, Carrick has clearly always been the better player but he's obviously in shite form atm compared to Parker. Scholes can tackle, if you watched him week in, week out instead of basing it on silly media myths. He doesn't have to be a "like for like" either, Capello could adjust the system or put in someone like Milner on the wing to help out with the denfensive side of the game.

To be fair to Carrick although he is over rated. Its only this season that he has been having a shocker. He had been holding his own crica 2004/05-2008/09 for Spurs/United/England fairly well.

Carrick can't play in 2 man mid-field @ international. He needs to play alongside a strong defensive mid-fielder or two who will do the tackling, while he tries to do a Pirlo or Xavi from mid-field with his passing.

But sadly his passing game has gone this season.
:laugh Overrated? This is a guy who played a large role in three league titles as well as a CL title and was named in the 2007 CL team of the season. I don't think England managers have worked out how to use him properly at international level. He has yet to step up to the next level which is performing better in big games and stamping his authority on the international stage.

Auwais added 1 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

He only seems to pass the ball sideways or backwards, and considering we struggle to create anything but goals from set pieces we cant have someone in our team playing so negative all the time, i just wish we had a fit hargreaves, we miss him so much in the middle of the park, although fair play to barry he aint my cup of tea but he does a good job.
:laugh OK then. You just really don't understand football at all, do you?

Well he probably won't, so don't hold your breath. And he's never been a better "all-round" midfielder, whatever bizarrely vague description that is, Carrick has clearly always been the better player but he's obviously in shite form atm compared to Parker. Scholes can tackle, if you watched him week in, week out instead of basing it on silly media myths. He doesn't have to be a "like for like" either, Capello could adjust the system or put in someone like Milner on the wing to help out with the denfensive side of the game.

Nah back in the days Parker at his was better than Carrick. Carrick obviously always has had the more solid passing game - which is why Ferguson bought him. But Parker has always been better defensively & was better going forward scoring goals.

Oh and i watch Scholes all the time, im not fooled by the media. He doesn't tackle very well at all. United's big tackler when they play mid-field is always Fletcher. You never saw SAF playing Scholes/Carrick together in 4-4-2 formation at any time, since that would have made the midfield very soft.

Plus Scholes being a potential like-for-like replacement is very important not in my opinion but how Capello thinks. its obviously since he has taken over is that he prefers to have a strong defensive-midfielder next to Lampard in the centre. Which is why its impertive that Barry recovers & why he was even tempted to pick Hargreaves. So yea i'm holding my breath that Parker plays & eventually makes the final 23.

:laugh Overrated? This is a guy who played a large role in three league titles as well as a CL title and was named in the 2007 CL team of the season. I don't think England managers have worked out how to use him properly at international level. He has yet to step up to the next level which is performing better in big games and stamping his authority on the international stage.

He is overated in the sense that i've never seen Carrick control a game againts a MAJOR team at club level mainly like a Xavi or Pirlo. His passing game getas rushed under such circumstances & he looses composure - mainly because he doesn't tackle well.

One of the main reasons Carrick did so well in the oast 3 sesons is because Hargreaves was around & Anderson was in big form & Scholes was in super form. This was the season where Carrick was supposed to step up & become United passing machine with Scholes getting older. But he didn't & Scholes had to come back & at times United even played Giggs centrally. Due to Carrick's ineffecient display.

I like Carrick, but his current form means he really can't go to the WC even if Barry is declared fit.

Auwais added 1 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

:laugh OK then. You just really don't understand football at all, do you?

I dont really want to go down the ive played a hell of a lot of semi pro football road but i played at a decent standard for alot of years so for you to say i know nothing is laughable.
So in your opinion someone who passes continually back or sideways is the norm is it, ive not seen many goals scored from someones own half or on the touchline you obviously have:sarcasm
The art of football is pushing forward, attacking the opponents goal maybe its you who doesnt understand hey smart ass:D

I dont really want to go down the ive played a hell of a lot of semi pro football road but i played at a decent standard for alot of years so for you to say i know nothing is laughable.
So in your opinion someone who passes continually back or sideways is the norm is it, ive not seen many goals scored from someones own half or on the touchline you obviously have:sarcasm
The art of football is pushing forward, attacking the opponents goal maybe its you who doesnt understand hey smart ass:D
You, as a semi-pro, shouldn't be bandying around these stupid English pub myths.

Although do take into account Carrick's lack of form and confidence, so he's more likely to play the simple pass when he's doing ████, before you spout such rubbish.

Auwais added 10 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

Nah back in the days Parker at his was better than Carrick. Carrick obviously always has had the more solid passing game - which is why Ferguson bought him. But Parker has always been better defensively & was better going forward scoring goals.

Oh and i watch Scholes all the time, im not fooled by the media. He doesn't tackle very well at all. United's big tackler when they play mid-field is always Fletcher. You never saw SAF playing Scholes/Carrick together in 4-4-2 formation at any time, since that would have made the midfield very soft.

Plus Scholes being a potential like-for-like replacement is very important not in my opinion but how Capello thinks. its obviously since he has taken over is that he prefers to have a strong defensive-midfielder next to Lampard in the centre. Which is why its impertive that Barry recovers & why he was even tempted to pick Hargreaves. So yea i'm holding my breath that Parker plays & eventually makes the final 23.
Deary me, it's things like preferring a head-less chicken like Parker over someone who can orchestrate play like Carrick that's cost England the last 40+ years.

I mean in general, his tackling isn't that bad, when he's not diving in, not that that's his side of the game that he uses a lot when he's playing. As for Scholes/Carrick, it was our first choice central midfield through 2006 and 2007 and parts of 2008. Obviously now, it's not used as often.

And do you still think Parker will make the final 23 after today?

He is overated in the sense that i've never seen Carrick control a game againts a MAJOR team at club level mainly like a Xavi or Pirlo. His passing game getas rushed under such circumstances & he looses composure - mainly because he doesn't tackle well.

One of the main reasons Carrick did so well in the oast 3 sesons is because Hargreaves was around & Anderson was in big form & Scholes was in super form. This was the season where Carrick was supposed to step up & become United passing machine with Scholes getting older. But he didn't & Scholes had to come back & at times United even played Giggs centrally. Due to Carrick's ineffecient display.

I like Carrick, but his current form means he really can't go to the WC even if Barry is declared fit.
The fact is your expectations of him are overrated. He's never been world-class like Xavi and Pirlo and so rarely has controlled a game against a major side.

Hargreaves wasn't around in 2006/07 when Carrick had his best season is recent years. Anderson has yet to show his full potential. But yes, he was supposed to step up to an extent this season and failed. And Giggs rarely played centrally this season. Fact is he will probably still go due to the ability he possesses when on form, a bit like Joe Cole, Walcott and Heskey. On form, there are few better playmakers in England and maybe Capello's hoping he can get his confidence and form back during this tournament.

Here's an interesting article you and Lee should take a look at, albeit it was done a couple of months ago:

Michael Carrick demonstrates why he could be crucial to England’s World Cup hopes | Zonal Marking

Having just seen that your national team is pakistan i dont see how you can have any valid points on football, if we were talking about sandals or explosive ruck sacks then maybe i would take your points on board...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread