English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha nah man, i don't have no club i support with vigour and tribalism that most people in England have, even though technically i grew up in Manchester and a default United fan.

Surely if you grew up in Manchester, you should be a City fan ;)

He seems to be getting worse with each season as well, maybe needs to get out of England and go play abroad.

nah he'll come back to everton.....

----------

The way Everton played was very similar to how Chelsea played for Barca in the Champions League semi, rough, rugged and defending for their lives and the superior mid-field for once couldn't break them down.

lol.

i mean

okay.

regardless of how we set up there is a distinct difference (lol tautologies) between CL football and prem football, not too mention united are far, far more direct than barca. they aren't even open to comparison, really.

If you enjoy watching the big clubs I can only urge you to replace Liverpool with Everton on your list.

Haha. Much respect to Everton always, a good warrior team. Of all the English clubs if they can can a similar mega investor like City or Chelsea - they could be brilliant club, since they have superb fans.

But the tribal club loyalty i never could handle. Some fans its just banter, but for the majority in this country is real crazy. The amount cursing out Rooney would get everytime he goes back to Goodison is sometimes quite scary.

puddleduck said:
Surely if you grew up in Manchester, you should be a City fan.

Ha ye i know the vybe, real Manchester football fans only support City. Never bought into it. I have more taken the approach of being pleased to see the two clubs from me old place, being the big two clubs in the league.

Easy now my friend, for all of last season Rooney was brilliant, so its not really accurate to say he his first touch and control has been crap for a while. That's a massive exaggeration since in case you forget in two over the last three seasons Rooney had scored 30 goals in a season.

Rooney looked bad in the EURO's yes after being inactive for a while and a bit to his own indulgence by going off to Vegas and partying. Plus yes he had a average night today (not sure how much he played in pre-season) and that's about it.

The only period in recent memory when Rooney was awful was the back end of 2009/10 season to the start of 2010/11 season when he injured himself in the champions league quarter final vs Munich, which also was the period when he threatened to leave United.

He was terrible last season! His goals painted over the cracks of his clear decline in form and fitness. He doesn't seem to have the desire anymore - off the ball he's become very lazy and lethargic. His lack of yellow cards last season wasn't due to discipline, it was due to a lack of pressing off the ball. His first touch was very poor, he failed to link up with the rest of the team bar Welbeck at times (and that wasn't often enough).

He's been shite for a while but has gotten away with it. He's supposedly Utd's talisman and one of the world's elite players but his performances this past year do not show that. It really frustrates me how he's so indispensible still, despite his consistently poor form.

His goals last season were more down to Valencia constantly putting it on a plate for him. I perhaps oversold my point by saying he's been as poor as I said, but the reality is he's not reached the heights many tipped him for.

I can't remember the last time Rooney controlled a ball in tight space, beat his man and finished from outside the area. For someone who was apparently in the top 3 players in World football at one point (over rated, but that's not the point :p) he resembles the old school English forward more than someone like Crouch or Carroll. He's still fairly effective as a finisher in the box, but his all round game has definitely tailed off.

Seems very harsh to suggest that Everton played like Chelsea considering Everton had more shots on goal than Man U and hit the woodwork twice. Chelsea almost literally had 3 shots on goal over 3 games of football and scored them all :p

I do however agree with you regarding the rather detrimental tribalism that exists in the English game. It's often banded about as passion, but in reality masks the still rotten undertone of hooliganism. It's the only sport in the world that consistently makes excuses for appalling human behaviour under some misguided conception of 'passion.'

For example, I would still have rathered Arsenal or Newcastle had achieved the final Champions league spot ahead of Chelsea, just because of their style of football and how they've run their clubs. For me, it is always about the game of football itself, not where I happened to be born (which either way is about 30 minutes from White Hart Lane :p)

He was terrible last season! His goals painted over the cracks of his clear decline in form and fitness. He doesn't seem to have the desire anymore - off the ball he's become very lazy and lethargic. His lack of yellow cards last season wasn't due to discipline, it was due to a lack of pressing off the ball. His first touch was very poor, he failed to link up with the rest of the team bar Welbeck at times (and that wasn't often enough).

He's been shite for a while but has gotten away with it. He's supposedly Utd's talisman and one of the world's elite players but his performances this past year do not show that. It really frustrates me how he's so indispensible still, despite his consistently poor form.

Haaaaaaaaaa whoa whoa, hold up man say what????

If their is any player in the world i pay utmost attention to almost every weekend in the league is Rooney and no offence Pepper cause you a good football poster, but i find this to be utter codswallop my friend. I don't know which Rooney you or anyone who agree's with has been watching but i have seen none of this.

Almost weekly for the past years i would hear commentators and various pundits on tv always saying Rooney should start being self as a striker and ease his defensive work rate by tracking back less. If he was lazy and had fitness issues regularly as you are insinuating quite strangely, then this key area would have been exposed.

Not sure where you are going about not linking up with Welbeck enough last season and the rest of the team. Are you somehow blaming Rooney's performances for United not winning the league or that he still is has a bad temper based on your synopsis about why he has not collected more yellow cards?

All i can say is if a man can score more than 30 goals twice in three seasons and be shite as you claim, i can only imagine what he could do if he actually becomes good. Scoring 60+ goals like Ronaldo and Messi did last season will be a cake walk for him :lol:

quote said:
puddleduckI can't remember the last time Rooney controlled a ball in tight space, beat his man and finished from outside the area.

Was that ever his strength and part of his game though?. Even when he starring at EURO 2004 and his early days at United i don't recall him beating anybody with sublime close control and footwork.

His game was always ability to be lethal in the box, great position sense, enough physical strength to even muscle off defenders and vision to create opportunities in his preferred role in the "hole".

puddleduck said:
I do however agree with you regarding the rather detrimental tribalism that exists in the English game. It's often banded about as passion, but in reality masks the still rotten undertone of hooliganism. It's the only sport in the world that consistently makes excuses for appalling human behaviour under some misguided conception of 'passion.'

Yea exactly, that's why i ease off my passion for supporting United since around 2004, i just couldn't understand how vile some fans would get, especially towards English players who would represent the national team anyway.

They have taken the idea of being vibrant home supporters at the grounds and making it intimidating for the opposition to a despicable level.

----------

lol.

i mean

okay.

regardless of how we set up there is a distinct difference (lol tautologies) between CL football and prem football, not too mention united are far, far more direct than barca. they aren't even open to comparison, really.

Well no i wasn't comparing the leagues or united to barca. Was just highlighting that i have seen many games like this before, where the superior team technically in United found it difficult to deal with the aggressive pressing side like Everton in a difficult atmosphere.

The chelsea vs barca CL Semi was a similar game example, although it was not 100% the same in all facets.

I'm not asking him to beat 3 players and smash it home like Ronaldo or Messi (in his case it's normally a dink though :p), but his close control in tight spaces has been poor even for him. When he first burst onto the scene he was more than capable of working without space and creating it for himself, these days he seems to need everyone else to create it for him. Essentially, he's not a player that's worth 200,000 a week and he's not the game changing player that he once looked like being. There always used to be a sense that Rooney by himself could win games, whilst more and more (certainly for England) he looks more like costing his team a game than winning them.

Berbatov was on target for 30 goals comfortably before he was unceremoniously dropped by Ferguson, so I would suggest any good striker should be aiming for 30 goals if they're playing up front for Utd.

I would say Rooney's temper and intelligence have certainly not improved, as demonstrated by the fact he wasn't playing in the first two England games of this summer's Euros.

Funnily enough, I've always felt he would end up as an out-and-out striker, which in reality is disappointing due to the initial potential to be so much more than that. He's a good striker, but he's in the same class as the likes of Balotelli, Cassano, Suarez and Higuain, rather than being anywhere near a Messi or Ronaldo as the British press are prone to elevating him whenever he goes on a run of goals.

Well we all need to be careful about the British press, since i never once ever thought he ever close to the calibre of Messi and Ronaldo.

I can give you that maybe some of the blistering pace he had circa 2004-2006 is gone a bit, which in tight spaces would enable him to leave defenders flat footed. But i still think and have seen in recent seasons, when he has been in tight spaces in the box, he has still been able to find a pass or create a goal out of nothing.

Berbatov although i'd say he has somewhat been under-appreciated by SAF (instead of accusations that he was lazy), somehow in big games i don't think his style fully suited United style and even while he was scoring goals.

Come on, that tackle which caused Rooney to miss the opening two EURO games was hardly a ignorant moment like he his outburst to the camera in the 2010 world cup or the 2006 red card.

It was just an unfortunate moment after collide with one of the montengro players and he kicked out on him, in a week when he had some family issues. Another player may have made that same mistake and i've seen much worst red cards anyway. But just because of Rooney's past transgression, our wonderful media made the correlation that he is still ill-tempered which is far from the truth.

So after 3 months of city bashing, and weeks of promise and expectation utd get done by the toffees, and MB has done a disappearing act., :lol

o know we lost our first game as well :( not the best of start for rvp for his united career also kagawa too. hope we will bounce back in our second match

Man City spend 12M on a young English midfielder.

Man U spend 20M on a player. And another 20M on a player. And 6M on a 17 year old who'll never get to play...

Man U are ruining football or something :spy

Fergie,just wasting money.just read in the paper's that he is gona bid for KAKA

Is He Nut's

City also wasted money.

All teams wasted money greatly, but its City who get the blame regularly because they have a sugar daddy who is ready to invest heavily whenever needed.

You have to waste money to get the deal done otherwise you miss out on the player, a la Arsenal. If there's one thing other clubs should be happy with it's all the clubs overpaying on players to make sure they get their man.

Kaka would be a waste of money wages wise, but on a loan deal he is another potentially world class option. Never going to happen though.

First time I saw Kagawa in a United shirt and I gotta say he looked outstanding, will be a big, big player for United. As expected he will play on the wings and behind the striker, at least initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread