English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Our defending was quite appalling at times. No wonder we're yet to keep a clean sheet this season in the league. Reina and ?krtel have already endured too many error prone moments for my liking, the former in special.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
With Sir Alex at the helm, United will probably always be challenging for the title but I can't help but feel a major revolution is in order. Scholes, Rio, Giggs, Evra, Vidic and Carrick. All first team players and all above 30. Looks a bit like Dad's Army.

Last edited:

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Their midfield is complete crap. You know you have problems in midfield when people are clamouring for Anderson to play:lol. I reckon he would've been diabolical in midfield, remember how Dembele made him his bitch just last month when he was at Fulham? The same would've happened again surely. Man Utd could've used someone like Dembele really, they'd better quickly get onto Cabaye or Fellaini if they become available (though the latter seems to play better now further up the pitch).

As for Liverpool, I feel before looking for a new keeper, Reina should be dropped for a bit, I reckon it'd do him some good knowing that he isn't a nailed on starter, he'll put a lot more work into his game. SAF does it well to get the best out of his two young keepers. Perhaps the bench options aren't the best, but it still has to be done for the good of the team this season. Besides, I still remember Brad Jones' legendary penalty save last season, he'd be good:D. Doni has been pretty poor for Liverpool, but he was decent in the past for Roma so maybe he can bring in some good form too.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Carrick/Scholes just doesn't work these days. It works even less when you have another 35+ year old playing alongside them.

Why on earth Cleverley and Anderson weren't involved baffles me, Fergie's become far too reliant on his aging midfield players for his own good.

Wel yea playing Giggs out left made things worse. But in the second half United produced the kind of 2nd half performance that makes me think what i stated before. This being, the more Scholes/Carrick/Rooney/Kawaga play - they will dominate possession and teams will struggled to get the ball of them.

Thus the need for more energetic mid-fielder may not be that important. This portion of quote from an espn soccernet article sort of highlights this:

In loss to Spurs, United find a place to rebuild - ESPNFC

quote said:
There is a handful of passing statistics that drives home Manchester United's dominance in the second half. After the first 21 minutes of the second half, they had enjoyed 76% of the game's possession; by the end of the game, Paul Scholes had completed an astounding 135 of 148 passes, a completion rate of some 91%. This number and accuracy compared favourably with Xavi's performance for Barcelona against Chelsea in the second leg of last season's UEFA Champions League (161 out of 169, at 95%), and Andrea Pirlo's masterclass against England at Euro 2012 (115 out of 131, at 88%).

The good news for Manchester United, then, is that they can still overwhelm teams when the mood takes them. That will be a very cold comfort to them as they review a league season in which they have so far been outplayed in the bulk of their games. But, judging by the fearsome attacking triangle that Rooney, Kagawa and van Persie formed tonight, it is a positive place from which to rebuild.

Lee1981

International Coach
What a great performance from us yesterday, arsenal didn't know what to do!

We are looking a real attacking threat and the passing and moving was the best I've seen in a while,

We are looking like the team to beat

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
What a great performance from us yesterday, arsenal didn't know what to do!

We are looking a real attacking threat and the passing and moving was the best I've seen in a while,

We are looking like the team to beat

Agreed and Torres was a bit of a nuisance.

Lee1981

International Coach
He needs to find some consistency, one week he is awful the next as you say a nusaince

I think how Torres fairs the rest of the season is the key as to how good or bad we do.

If he can play like yesterday more often I think we will win the title, if not it may take a big signing in January to push us on

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Luiz needs to up his game too, was Cahill injured or something? If you can keep Hazard/Mata/Oscar in form, make sure your CBs are better and keep Torres in form, yeah you'll be looking good. I feel Torres will never hit his best again, so it'd be HUGE if you could pick up Falcao in January.

Man Utd are looking shoddy and I'm not sure what Mancini is doing with City, they look very unconvincing. So this is definitely a hugely open title race.

All of Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs have a decent chance, I also reckon Everton could be a dark horse too.

JBlues08

Club Captain
Luiz needs to up his game too, was Cahill injured or something?

Nope. It was just more of a case RDM preferring the Luiz-Terry partnership more than anything else. However, Luiz was seen to be hobbling a bit as he was subbed for Cahill yesterday.

All of Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs have a decent chance, I also reckon Everton could be a dark horse too.

Last time Spurs beat United(before yesterday) at Old Trafford, a team from Merseyside won the league title. :p

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

I love how you conveniently avoid Liverpool. :p

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Besides, I still remember Brad Jones' legendary penalty save last season, he'd be good. :D Doni has been pretty poor for Liverpool, but he was decent in the past for Roma so maybe he can bring in some good form too.

Jones was actually pretty good barring his blunder early on against West Brom in the Capital One Cup during midweek. As for Doni, Rodgers has made it so clear to him that he doesn't have a future here at Liverpool, that he's out at Brazil spending time with his family. :p

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
Luiz needs to up his game too, was Cahill injured or something? If you can keep Hazard/Mata/Oscar in form, make sure your CBs are better and keep Torres in form, yeah you'll be looking good. I feel Torres will never hit his best again, so it'd be HUGE if you could pick up Falcao in January.

Man Utd are looking shoddy and I'm not sure what Mancini is doing with City, they look very unconvincing. So this is definitely a hugely open title race.

lol. Everton are still merely a dark horse for a top 4 spot. there is basically no chance of getting near the title.

we are only two long term injuries away from being a midtable side.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Agree with you, but a big signing out of the blue could give you serious strength.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Hahaha, I enjoyed this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread