English Football Thread 2013/14

Who will win the Premiership?

• Total voters

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Howard isn't that good. Cech, Loris, Hart, Mignolet, De Gea, Krul, Szechny (sp) are all definitely better than him, then Boruc, Begovic are probably better, but it's pretty close.

Our defensive record this year is down mainly to the steady centre back pairing and Barry. McCarthy too to a lesser extent. Coleman and Baines are pretty good defensively, but go forward so much so they contribute less overall.

Another factor is that we have a lot of the ball in most game. Don't have to do as much defending when you have the ball.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Exactly what Ste said, although I'd rather have Howard over Boruc, Boruc's extremely unpredictable.

McCarthy and Barry just sit deep mostly, added to that there's Barkley who drops deep often, and when you factor in the possession they have, I guess they won't concede a lot of goals. (Again, exactly what Ste said, although McCarthy is the one who acts more defensive of the duo, not Barry)

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Lukaku was talking about us as title contenders at the weekend. Personally I'd have settled for wins over Sunderland and Stoke...

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Lukaku was talking about us as title contenders at the weekend. Personally I'd have settled for wins over Sunderland and Stoke...

Lukaku's talking a lot over the past few months.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
(Again, exactly what Ste said, although McCarthy is the one who acts more defensive of the duo, not Barry)

Not really, Barry sits deeper, but McCarthy does all the legwork, so I guess he does more of the defensive work by virtue of doing more than his fair share of running, but he has more attacking license than Barry too.

If you were to describe our midfield along the destroyer/passer/creator trio that was in vogue a couple of years ago it'd be Barry/McCarthy/Barkley, but the lines between the first two are pretty blurred.

----------

Lukaku's talking a lot over the past few months.

Pienaar tweeted a picture of an internet article which had the headline "lukaku thinks everton can challenge for the title" and said "you talk a lot" in Afrikaans, then deleted it. Think it was an allusion to what Mourinho said.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Howard isn't that good. Cech, Loris, Hart, Mignolet, De Gea, Krul, Szechny (sp) are all definitely better than him, then Boruc, Begovic are probably better, but it's pretty close.

Our defensive record this year is down mainly to the steady centre back pairing and Barry. McCarthy too to a lesser extent. Coleman and Baines are pretty good defensively, but go forward so much so they contribute less overall.

Another factor is that we have a lot of the ball in most game. Don't have to do as much defending when you have the ball.

Hmm fair enough if that's how you view Howard - but IMO i think all of those top keepers in the league are basically on the same level when playing well. The league doesn't have a clear best keeper like when Van Der Sar & Schemichel were at their United peaks.

Mertesacker/Koscienly may be more naturally talented & younger than Distin/Jagielka - but on current form its hard to separate them.

Coleman right now is the best all-round right-back in the league, just pipping Sagna who is very consistently. While of course Baines is the best left-back in Europe right now.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
I respectfully disagree.

I guess this is true, even after conceding six at the Etihad and three at Villa we have the best defensive record in the league which is really something. Coleman and Baines are easily the best full-backs in the league this season though Sagna has come close, CB and GK wise I rate our bunch higher though. Mertesacker is by a distance the best CB in the league which helps.

I know I probably sound very pro-Arsenal atm, but since the Villa game Szczesny has been superb, I guess I rate him as the best in the league right now. Cech has been much, much poorer than his usual self. Getting beaten at his near post a couple of times isn't something you'd expect from him.

Either way, I'm just glad that the two best sides in the league defensively are such a joy to watch.

Edit: I see this is quite similar to what War just posted. I didn't even see his post when posting it:p.

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
On the subject of full-backs, conversly, I think we posess the worst in our roster. I've become disillusioned with Antonio Luna. Like the rest of our team, Luna started the season well, but has fallen sharply in December. He seems to be targeted by other teams, and doesn't play close enough to his man. As he plays too much in the center this gives their wide players loads of room to play with. His play forward has suffered too. He tries, but gets nothing done. His crosses this week were classless too. I mean, i still like the guy, and hope he regains his earlier form, but I have to say I'd prob play Clark as LB now if everyone's fit. Tbh no sense in comparing Luna and Bennet before Bennet plays this season. Not much between them now anyways, but I'd so much more prefer him going forward. After Lowton and Bacuna's great combination on the right against Sunderland the focus should shift to the left. I hope PL sorts it out this Jan.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I have heard a rumour that Lambert wants to sign Hoolahan from us this month. Maybe he's wary of finding little known foreign players at Villa now after the previous buys have had little success and is coming back to Norwich for the players that did so well under him before.

Hoolahan hasn't been getting the game time I think he should be getting this season, and working with Lambert again might tempt him but I hope we tell Villa where to go if there is any truth in this.

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
I have heard a rumour that Lambert wants to sign Hoolahan from us this month. Maybe he's wary of finding little known foreign players at Villa now after the previous buys have had little success and is coming back to Norwich for the players that did so well under him before.

Hoolahan hasn't been getting the game time I think he should be getting this season, and working with Lambert again might tempt him but I hope we tell Villa where to go if there is any truth in this.

Not too sure about Hoolahan but sources are heavily linking us with Pilkington. He posseses some flair, creativity and has experience too and god knows we need bolstering up on our wings, and I certainly don't want us asking for Ashley Young back.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Not too sure about Hoolahan but sources are heavily linking us with Pilkington. He posseses some flair, creativity and has experience too and god knows we need bolstering up on our wings, and I certainly don't want us asking for Ashley Young back.

You can leave him alone as well. :p

thedon5

Panel of Selectors

What do you think about the situation up front now with Kozak out for the rest of the season? Surely an under performing Benteke will need some competition?

Interesting that it was Ciaran Clark that did it, just after you said he'd be a better choice at LB than Luna:p. Not that he wouldn't be, I really wouldn't know, but a bit of a coincidence none the less!

Users who are viewing this thread