English Football Thread 2013/14

Who will win the Premiership?

• Total voters
In my opinion though it'd be hard for you guys to finish ahead of Everton, they are so consistent and won't fade any time soon. Liverpool on the other hand could be passed if they mess up a bit, but you guys will need top form for that.

lmao. Funny how Liverpool 'really meant business' according to yourself a fortnight back, but now could be passed over after having faced two genuine title contenders away from home, where we actually gave City an absolute run for their money and deserved atleast a draw (I'm sure even Epic agrees).

Thing is, we've only really played Man Utd and Southampton at 'fortress' Anfield (P9 W8 L1) among the top eight sides this season. Compare that to Everton who've hosted Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Newcastle and Southampton from the same bunch. Not saying we'll finish above/below Everton, but this reasoning that Everton are mightily consistent while we aren't, is a bit baseless, because they clearly have had a relatively easier fixture list so far.

you have a point, but I think looking at fixture lists like that is basically a waste of time that will ultimately reap little insight.

You could make a counter argument that having the easy games at home has allowed you to accumulate a lot of easy points, in the second half of the season you are much more likely to drop points at home, and while the away games have gotten easier a lot of the league's bottom feeders have much better home records than away records.

You are right how you have interpreted it, but to wield it as some sort of trump card is taking it too far as in reality it's a small edge, at best.

Not using that as a trump card at all, because in that case, you'd see me saying Liverpool will definitely be finishing above Everton, which I didn't. Very even between the two of us right now that it's impossible to predict.

As you said though, we do hold a bit of an edge with regards to the fixture list, but on the main, I only really brought that list into the argument to point out Don's poor reasoning in passing us off as an inconsistent side after having faced two of the toughest opponents, away from home.

ah right ok fair enough. I barely even skim most thedon's posts as he says a lot of silly things so i got the context a bit wrong. sorry.

So the scumbag owner gives mackay the boot...he's just asking for trouble isn't he?, or he seems to liken the idea of the fans' retaliation. First the jersey, then the logo and finally the man who got them to the premier league. A LOT to pay for selling out; worse when their owner has in view is only a vicious approach to capitalism.

Glad for Mackay, he is out of the mess he didn't deserve. Cardiff's fans don't deserve it either; hard to even bet on the radical changes that followed after the takeover, But you can argue they let the culture of the club slip out of their grasp.

BBC Sport - Malky Mackay: Cardiff City sack manager

The guy brought mcdonalds to asia, he is so rich this is literally a pass time hobby for him. Yeah, it's a good warning for everyone else not to sell out to the first billionare who comes along. Cardiff are screwed now until they drop back down to the championship and Tan gets bored.

After a few good appearances..? That isn't even a proper purple patch yet let alone a sign of quality. Especially for strikers, it's so common to see a striker go on a short run where they are good, then they return to being complete crap!

Y'know Don - I'm beginning to think you've got a personal grudge against the guy...

I don't completely agree either but I see a point. Welbeck has been lucky to score in the recent games but he's converted his recent chances, which is a positive sign. Criticizing his recent goals as opportunist is unfair. That's what strikers are for. If someone else scored his goals this criticism would cease to exist. We've all seen him buckle down and lose chances and possession in dangerous places and what not. From the hindsight it did play a part in the criticism leading to his goal scoring return.

Maybe if he continues his streak it will convince people and ease down some pressure he faces.

But his work rate has been second to none and he links up with wingers and advancing players really well; which is very typical of players who've come up from United's academy. He's looked like a striker and worked well against Norwich. Positive signs and definitely what United needed but he's nowhere close to hitting a purple patch.

Abysmal performance from Villa, this is why our star striker doesn't get the chances in a
game.. Get 5 people in front of the ball and we shoot from
25-30 yards but 3 points all the same. Thank god Sunderland's players can't shoot either.
Benteke's starting to regain some confidence, his hold up is excellent and every good attack comes off him. His best performance for weeks. Has
taken the pressure off as we have been under the cosh, but only seen him threaten goal once. Needs to keep at it.

Last edited:
Sunderland are proper relegation fodder.

I've never seen a side playing against ten men for 70 minutes be clinging for an entire half of football with 10 men behind the ball camped on the edge of their box.

they have a couple of players I really rate too, they should be looking at about 12th with the quality they have, but they are just a terrible team.

As the BT Sports guys said, we cannot keep relying on an 18 year old! We need to spend this January and spend big, otherwise this could be a disastrous season - if it isn't already - and Moyes needs to get the team into the top four at least. If we finish lower than we ever have under Sir Alex in the Premiership, I am sure Moyes will go.

Another goal for Welbeck. :p

Difficult last two games big games for Howard Webb.

Despite Mourinho subs Oscar & Willian clearly changing the game - you got to feel for Mata - such a top player being completely wasted.

United obviously won't win the league, despite certain fringe players showing better form & Fletcher returning to give their mid-field experience. Unless they can get a real world class mid-fielder than can play alongside Carrick & world class winger who can score goals in January - i'd have to doubt whether they will be in the champions league next year. Europa at best.

Spurs have joined the 4-4-2 revival formation of the league & around Europe. It was always strange why ABV was so reluctant to do this. I'm guessing he was skeptical whether Eriksen could play anywhere else other than the "hole" - but as if he had tried it - he would have seen he can.

Hopefully the rumours that Defore is going to MLS are proven to be false, 4-4-2 really suits his strengths & surely he could challenge or displace Soldado on current form.

As the BT Sports guys said, we cannot keep relying on an 18 year old! We need to spend this January and spend big, otherwise this could be a disastrous season - if it isn't already - and Moyes needs to get the team into the top four at least. If we finish lower than we ever have under Sir Alex in the Premiership, I am sure Moyes will go.

Another goal for Welbeck. :p

Welbeck is a quality player.

Is that what you want to hear;)?

lmao. Funny how Liverpool 'really meant business' according to yourself a fortnight back, but now could be passed over after having faced two genuine title contenders away from home, where we actually gave City an absolute run for their money and deserved atleast a draw (I'm sure even Epic agrees).

Thing is, we've only really played Man Utd and Southampton at 'fortress' Anfield (P9 W8 L1) among the top eight sides this season. Compare that to Everton who've hosted Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Newcastle and Southampton from the same bunch. Not saying we'll finish above/below Everton, but this reasoning that Everton are mightily consistent while we aren't, is a bit baseless, because they clearly have had a relatively easier fixture list so far.

Liverpool mean business - of course you are very strongly challenging for title/CL while some people seem to think you will finish barely mid-table again. However, most of that is down to Suarez IMO, he allows you guys to put away the smaller teams, previously you'd be drawing too many games you should be winning, then you'd get into a rut and start losing some too, derailing your whole season. However, outside of Suarez, I fancy Everton for sure, they are a strong side and most important of all they are built from strong foundations. There is a reason they've only lost twice this season. They have the goalscorer, they have the flair, they have decent squad depth and efficiency in midfield. Most important of all though, they have a rock solid, constant defence, and having a strong defence is the first step to a successful side. There is a reason they've only lost twice this season. They are consistent. In my opinion, Liverpool's defence isn't on the same level and that's what leads me to say you are less consistent.

I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to understand that I think Liverpool can do the damage, but that out of the two Everton could be more likely.

Ye Everton's main back back 4 & keeper IMO is the best in the league ATM, a whisker ahead of Arsenal back 4 & keeper on current form.

Ye Everton's main back back 4 & keeper IMO is the best in the league ATM, a whisker ahead of Arsenal back 4 & keeper on current form.

I respectfully disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread