English Football Thread 2013/14

Who will win the Premiership?

• Total voters

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Zakaria Bakkali for starters!

That performance from Januzaj was always going to happen, it was obvious from a mile away. I think it's good for his development that Moyes slowly bedded him into the team without thrusting him straight into the deep end from the start, though the tea, probably needed him sooner. I think Moyes is coming to terms with his squad now, playing Nani and Januzaj from the start is a great idea and Valencia off the bench is a good choice to mix it up. Young is an awful excuse for a footballer and needs to be demoted to the reserves and sold to a mid-table Championship side ASAP, Welbeck is comfortably better than him so it's good to see him getting game time over Young. Kagawa and Hernandez still need to play though.

Think he should get rid of all Young & Nani to be frank. Valencia is the only good one although he hasn't lived up to expectations. Januzaj doesn't necessarily have to be a starter, but he is certainly a good enough wing. option.

Still think Cuadrardo is the man for them to get to be the main star winger, they should have a scout at the Forienta vs Lazio game tonight. Plus i think they should test Cabaye's resolve in January - he is too good to be at Newcastle frankly & is one of the few top midfielders in the world who is not in club challenging for Europe. And of course Baines.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I had a feeling Tottenham would slip up today what with the long trip back from Russia.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I think Lucas might have a tough time getting back into the side if Jordan Henderson plays alongside Gerrard in the midfield 2. Lucas has been steady, but we are letting a lot of shots because at times the game is passing him by. I don't think he is back to the levels he reached before his first big injury. Hopefully he will get better as the season goes on, but Henderson's energy, drive, and pressing was fantastic. Perhaps he doesn't break up as many moves because he isn't as positionally aware as Lucas though.

Last edited by a moderator:

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Think he should get rid of all Young & Nani to be frank. Valencia is the only good one although he hasn't lived up to expectations. Januzaj doesn't necessarily have to be a starter, but he is certainly a good enough wing. option.

Still think Cuadrardo is the man for them to get to be the main star winger, they should have a scout at the Forienta vs Lazio game tonight. Plus i think they should test Cabaye's resolve in January - he is too good to be at Newcastle frankly & is one of the few top midfielders in the world who is not in club challenging for Europe. And of course Baines.

Nani just needs form and he is the best winger in the league, and looking at how Walcott and Hazard have done this season, that's by a distance. He needs to play to rediscover his form. He's also on a long-term contract so they can't get rid, Young on the other hand is definitely on his way out though I think.

Cuadrado is amazing, I think Benfica's wingers Gaitan and Salvio are good targets too especially Gaitan.

I don't think Cabaye is good enough to play for a club like Man Utd (then again a lot of their midfielders aren't!). Comes up with a lot of hollywood moments but in terms of consistency throughout a game, week after week, he isn't the best IMO. More a Europa League level player.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I think Lucas might have a tough time getting back into the side if Jordan Henderson plays alongside Gerrard in the midfield 2. Lucas has been steady, but we are letting a lot of shots because at times the game is passing him by. I don't think he is back to the levels he reached before his first big injury. Hopefully he will get better as the season goes on, but Henderson's energy, drive, and pressing was fantastic. Perhaps he doesn't break up as many moves because he isn't as positionally aware as Lucas though.

Ye in his own little way Henderson has been impressive at Liverpool as role player. I'm starting to think Hodgson missed a trick by not picking him for the upcoming qualifiers instead of Cleverley on current form.

----------

Nani just needs form and he is the best winger in the league, and looking at how Walcott and Hazard have done this season, that's by a distance. He needs to play to rediscover his form. He's also on a long-term contract so they can't get rid, Young on the other hand is definitely on his way out though I think.

Cuadrado is amazing, I think Benfica's wingers Gaitan and Salvio are good targets too especially Gaitan.

I don't think Cabaye is good enough to play for a club like Man Utd (then again a lot of their midfielders aren't!). Comes up with a lot of hollywood moments but in terms of consistency throughout a game, week after week, he isn't the best IMO. More a Europa League level player.

Hmm ha bit too high praise for Nani i think that my friend. I cant remember the last time Nani ever had form - much less form to categorized as among the best wingers in the league. He came to league with many predicting he could be the next big Portugal wing star like Ronaldo was & has generally been a flop. Really United like with Anderson should cut losses with him.

I see what you saying on Cabaye, does have his moments where does indeed become a bit inconsistent. But i reckon under a top manager and who can iron out those minor kicks he is a top mid-fielder for a big club. Rumors are that Moyes might sell Kagawa back to Dortmund, so in a way he could be a direct replacement & it would allow Fellani to play further forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Nani was brilliant in 10/11 and was handy in 07/08, 08/09 and 11/12. Valencia had one good season in 11/12. Nani is more talented and less limited. Valencia when off form though is better as he contributes a lot more defensively.

They are stuck with Nani due to the six-year contract he signed earlier in the season.

Auwais

International Coach
Nani was excellent throughout 2010, I think he averaged a goal/assist per game throughout that year.

He hasn't had a consistent run in the side since 2010/11 due to injuries and his contract issues but on form, he's one of the few genuine matchwinners Utd have.

Valencia basically fell off a cliff in terms of form last season and doesn't look like he'll regain the form he had prior, when he used to cause Ashley Cole all sorts of problems whenever we faced Chelsea.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Nani was excellent throughout 2010, I think he averaged a goal/assist per game throughout that year.

He hasn't had a consistent run in the side since 2010/11 due to injuries and his contract issues but on form, he's one of the few genuine matchwinners Utd have.

Valencia basically fell off a cliff in terms of form last season and doesn't look like he'll regain the form he had prior, when he used to cause Ashley Cole all sorts of problems whenever we faced Chelsea.

This.

I think Valencia's form was merely a purple patch for an average player. He has never been anything good other than in 11/12 and even in 11/12 he was still terribly limited and one-footed.

Due to his defensive contribution though he makes things a lot easier for Rafael, who isn't a good defender. In any case the defence needs extra protection. With all the United wingers in their current form he is probably the best choice to start, as Nani needs to prove himself in training first I think and Januzaj can't be overworked.

Auwais

International Coach
I think Rafael's a decent defender in terms of tackling but he hasn't developed his football brain completely yet in terms of defensive positioning and concentration.

You bring up overrated Utd players and I say Rafael is one of them, a bit like Tevez was prior because of his workrate and enthusiasm.

Having said that, the side is a lot worse without him in attack because he's very good going forward and capable of spectacular goals, like Johnson at 'Pool. I think his twin brother Fabio is better defensively and hope to see Moyes play him at RB and LB whenever he can.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
I think Rafael's a decent defender in terms of tackling but he hasn't developed his football brain completely yet in terms of defensive positioning and concentration.

You bring up overrated Utd players and I say Rafael is one of them, a bit like Tevez was prior because of his workrate and enthusiasm.

Having said that, the side is a lot worse without him in attack because he's very good going forward and capable of spectacular goals, like Johnson at 'Pool. I think his twin brother Fabio is better defensively and hope to see Moyes play him at RB and LB whenever he can.

Yep, hence why I said there is value in using Valencia, to free him up more.

He is a bit of a typical Brazilian full-back.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I dunno, Valencia and Nani are both useful, it seems a lot of people rate one or the other, but to me they're both just decent. Both can be a bit useless and both can have a good game where they're unplayable, though these are becoming less frequent.

for me the wider context of the Januzaj goals is that Moyes just needs to clear out a few players and bring in ones that he can shape. It doesn't particularly matter which ones, but the current team is too familiar with an older regime. Ferdinand and Vidic in particular look unable to cope with playing higher up the pitch like moyes wants after years of playing using fergusons defensive tactics.

never a huge fan of massive squad overhauls so I think it's going to be a matter of picking the ones least likely to adapt and bringing in new faces. I'd ditch anderson, one of nani/valencia, and put ferdinand out to pasture for a start. bring in a starting winger and centre back (knowing Jones can play there if he's a disaster) and one other player which can really be whoever he fancies or is available at a decent price. all ideally under 24 and ready to take a new challenge on. I'd also sit cleverly down and tell him if he's anyone, it's the new darren fletcher, not the new paul scholes.

a couple of youth signings wouldn't go a miss either, just to freshen training up and moyes has a pretty good record with bringing through young players.

Last edited:

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
Moyes giving Januzaj gametime is a classic moyes tactic.

Things aren't going well. he's being criticised, transfer activity have been criticised. Hype a young player and unexpectedly start him to give the fans a positive thing to talk about.

He did it with baxter when he was 16, he did it with barkley before both were ready. He did it with Vaughn. He eve did it with vellios a little bit.

Januzaj may be ready and may be an outstanding talent but he is generally quite reluctant to give young players chances. he values experience. Seems like he only plays them when it suits him.

Look at barkley, for example. Where was he last season? a couple of short loan spells, but he was around the squad for most of the season and did not get a sniff, this season he has shown he was underplayed.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Damn like Gareth Bale, i wish Ramsey was born English instead of Welsh - what form he is in now.

Wenger sure has all bases covered in this team ATM - especially in mid field. I wont say they can win the league now - but damn i wont be surprised if they do once this team doesn't have any injuries to big players.

Users who are viewing this thread