FA Cup

He took the ball wide, as he tried to get around Kuszczak, if you think that was the centre of the goal, get your eyes tested. I know the angle because I saw where the ball went, you dont know if he would have scored. There were 2 defenders there and the second one, Anderson, was closing the angle so it would have been difficult to score still.

Man United fans can hardly moan, if they deserved to win they would have scored a goal, and referees will always make mistakes because of the pace that football is played at, decisions need to be made in split-seconds, and if they don't see something properly then they can't be 100% sure of what decision to make they will obviously make some wrong decisions, fans just don't accept that at all. Slow-mo replays and replays from various angles will obviously make it look even worse for referees, it's just fuel for excuses for managers and fans.
I agree with you on the first point a little, we had the chances and should have won it. However, if a ref is going to get the majority of decisions wrong, then there is no point in having them. They dont get the blame when a dodgy pen costs a team relegation or the league title, instead it is pinned on the manager. They get away with some shockers. The ref had a good position today and it was a stonewall penalty, he didn't give it because he knew what idiots would say if he gave us a penalty.

Great day for the FA Cup, it is great that a team outside the top 4 and maybe even outside the Premiership will win the cup, will make it much more exciting and it's good for the game.
It'll be even better in May when we have 50,000 people at a venue that holds 90,000 and even less in the semis. I really do think thats so funny, when they're trying to get money back for the building of Wembley.

I'd be willing to bet that if Pompey got to the final, they'd be more than capable and willing to fill the Stadium.

Well I think West Brom is going to win the fa cup this year because there is a very strange resemblance from previous years that we won the fa cup.

In 1931, West Brom won the Fa cup (beating Birmingham city 2-1 (Get in!)) and won promotion to the top league (still the only team to do it). Every round on the way to the fa cup final was away from home and strangely we have been drawn away in each roundthis year.
Also when West Brom won the FA cup in 1968, Jeff Astle score in every round, now I don't want to curse him but Roman Bednar has done exactly the same this year.
Coincidence? As a Baggie, I certainly hope so. :cool:

He took the ball wide, as he tried to get around Kuszczak, if you think that was the centre of the goal, get your eyes tested. I know the angle because I saw where the ball went, you dont know if he would have scored. There were 2 defenders there and the second one, Anderson, was closing the angle so it would have been difficult to score still.

He would have got to the ball before Anderson so that is him out of the equation. Anyway, the debate of whether he would have scored or not is inconsequential. The fact is he would have had a goalscoring oppotunity, and if someone denies that oppotunity, it is a straight red. It is a well known rule, you know.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to bet that if Pompey got to the final, they'd be more than capable and willing to fill the Stadium.
Fratton Park hosts 23,000 or so, a few thousand of that is away fans, your not telling me they have a 10,000 waiting list. All these no nothing coporates wouldn't want to go to see a cup final, so it could be rather embarrassing. Even a Pompey vs Boro final wouldn't excite the daytrippers from America, the Far East etc.

Joey, if we're going to go about that, virtually any penalty is a red card as most of them involve the team having a chance to have a shot.

Joey, if we're going to go about that, virtually any penalty is a red card as most of them involve the team having a chance to have a shot.

Ok, maybe I didn't make that 100% clear. The rule is denieing a clear goalscoring oppotunity.

EDIT: Well said madman.

Pompey have arguably the best in the Prem. I'm sure thy could manage at least 30,000

Edit: Chris Gayle

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a penalty for Pompey but it wasn't a sending off because of the players that were on the line which i beleive was Rooney. But the thing is though Man U shouldn't have let Pompey break like that and if Rooney hadn't been ball watching and gone with Baros instead then maybe this wouldn't have happened.

I agree with you on the first point a little, we had the chances and should have won it. However, if a ref is going to get the majority of decisions wrong, then there is no point in having them. They dont get the blame when a dodgy pen costs a team relegation or the league title, instead it is pinned on the manager. They get away with some shockers. The ref had a good position today and it was a stonewall penalty, he didn't give it because he knew what idiots would say if he gave us a penalty.

True, the referee was in a great position and he must've seen the defender barge Ronaldo out of the way, but that's football isn't it? As you said though, if he had've given us a pen, then people would've been moaning about it, even though it was a definite pen. We had some shocking luck today and it was blatantly obvious that it wasn't going to be our day, but that's the way of it.

At least Chelksi are out as well: being beaten by Barnsley!!!!!! What a huge laugh that was!

Barnsley for the Cup!

I just spent ages writing out a post and now its gone, so briefly...

Barnsley or Bristol Rovers or Cardiff for that matter wont sell their allocation, unless it is lowered, and even if they did, which they wont, it would be full of daytrippers who hadn't been to another game all season. Portsmouth may be the exception, but they wouldn't fill up over 30k and would struggle to get to that. To say they have the best in the premiership is ludicrous. Their ground capacity wise I think I'm right in saying is 2nd bottom only to Fulham and its about 23,000. We get 76,000 every week and we're a two team city. Boro struggle to fill the Riverside.

I do find this lower league attitude to the FA Cup funny though, because as everyone knows, a final between the stars of Bristol Rovers and Cardiff City is brilliant for English football.

One last time on the penalty, Baros ran into Kuszczak, therefore its not a penalty, and even if it had of been, Kuszczak wasn't the last man, so it wasn't a sending off. By the time he'd have got to shoot, Anderson would have closed down the far post, Rooney was at the front post.

Man United fans can hardly moan, if they deserved to win they would have scored a goal, and referees will always make mistakes because of the pace that football is played at, decisions need to be made in split-seconds, and if they don't see something properly then they can't be 100% sure of what decision to make they will obviously make some wrong decisions, fans just don't accept that at all. Slow-mo replays and replays from various angles will obviously make it look even worse for referees, it's just fuel for excuses for managers and fans.

Great day for the FA Cup, it is great that a team outside the top 4 and maybe even outside the Premiership will win the cup, will make it much more exciting and it's good for the game.

Fair enough, but that foul on Ronaldo was as blatant a bodycheck as it gets!

Users who are viewing this thread