Features you want to see in next iteration of Big Ant Cricket

So it will be manager mode, but with a twist. If I was to select the Highveld Lions, I would start with a pathetic budget, with only 3 players who usually play in the starting XI (De Kock, Tahir and Symes). Now my job is to transform them from this destroyed team to winning the Champions League. I'll only have 100k or however much a low club has, and I must buy, sign and sell players to create my dream team. During this career you can also manage either a Caribbean PL team, Aussie PL team or Indian PL team and also manage an international team. So you could be managing up too 3 teams.

What do you guys think?

Love it! :yes

Manager mode would be really cool but the only downside is that it would take a lot longer than the current career mode (Why not have both?). So as well as managing the team would you also control the players out on the field like you do in FIFA or is it a Cricket Captain type manager mode you were thinking of?

Love it! :yes

Manager mode would be really cool but the only downside is that it would take a lot longer than the current career mode (Why not have both?). So as well as managing the team would you also control the players out on the field like you do in FIFA or is it a Cricket Captain type manager mode you were thinking of?

Like FIFA. Play the games you want and sim what you dont want to play!

regarding edges discussed with @blockerdave, hmmm no wonder it's so impossible to take them, I've been loolking at a few deliveries in slow motion and it shows even when you take them it doesn't actually register them. Had the AI block a shot dead off the top edge of the bat and an on drive come off the inside edge perfectly. (recorded that one)

Last edited by a moderator:
regarding edges discussed with @blockerdave, hmmm no wonder it's so impossible to take them, I've been loolking at a few deliveries in slow motion and it shows even when you take them it doesn't actually register them.

IIRC the physics is worked out and then rendered. Where there's a mismatch, the ball behaviour is the correct representation of the ai success against your input.

The appearance of an edge is just the bat or ball being drawn in slightly the wrong place.

IIRC the physics is worked out and then rendered. Where there's a mismatch, the ball behaviour is the correct representation of the ai success against your input.

The appearance of an edge is just the bat or ball being drawn in slightly the wrong place.

100% correct. It was confirmed in another thread earlier.

BigAntStudios said:
The key is to understand that the graphics are not tied to the physics.

The physics is run and the graphics are a representation of that in 3D. There may well be bugs in the graphical representation, agreed, however the underlying physics are reasonably true.

The ball through bat, etc. are issues with frame rate and the speed of the bat. The physics model sees a miss, the graphical representation is that the ball went through the bat as the bat has not been rendered fast enough.

Original post here

Last edited:
Ok I just had my best feature idea yet : an option to recall a marker from deliveries that recently dismissed you.

I think the only way I'm going to sort out the quirks of the batting system is by making a note of the delivery locations when I'm out and trying to recreate the dismissals in the nets to find out exactly what the bad input was.

A system that recalls dismissal data automatically to help players work on their mistakes in the nets might be super helpful in managing the learning curve.

eta actually that's only my second best idea. My best is mapping ethnicity to the right stick during fielding.

Ok I just had my best feature idea yet : an option to recall a marker from deliveries that recently dismissed you.

I think the only way I'm going to sort out the quirks of the batting system is by making a note of the delivery locations when I'm out and trying to recreate the dismissals in the nets to find out exactly what the bad input was.

A system that recalls dismissal data automatically to help players work on their mistakes in the nets might be super helpful in managing the learning curve.

eta actually that's only my second best idea. My best is mapping ethnicity to the right stick during fielding.

Makes sense really. I mean, in the real world players benefit from video replays to aid coaching. Why not allow us to review our past successes or failures too?

My guess would be that the game wouldnt log suffucient information to make this possible unless it is done within the instant replay timeframe, since this is active in memory. Still, it's one for the future! :thumbs

Well basically it's an idea that let's you switch ethnicities via the right stick on the fly as you're fielding, just when you need it.

There are endless gameplay possibilities. Transform yourself into a mighty West Indian to make that testing outfield chase, or make creative racial slurs by transforming yourself into a new ethnicity and fielding badly on purpose.

It's your right stick on the fly ethnicity mapping feature. Play it your way.

Well basically it's an idea that let's you switch ethnicities via the right stick on the fly as you're fielding, just when you need it.

There are endless gameplay possibilities. Transform yourself into a mighty West Indian to make that testing outfield chase, or make creative racial slurs by transforming yourself into a new ethnicity and fielding badly on purpose.

It's your right stick on the fly ethnicity mapping feature. Play it your way.

i thought i had a bacon sandwich for breakfast but it appears i had LSD.

A few things I?d like to see (leaving aside the issues that have been discussed extensively like edges and fielder/bowler momentum).

Batting
? I?d like to see the introduction of the square drive. Ideally front foot + right stick between 3 o?clock and around 11 o?clock should be a drive of some sort (On, straight, off, cover, square). This would allow us to better manoeuvre full pitched balls on or around off stump without fear of being bowled because the batsman has decided to play a front foot cut shot. It would also hopefully bring wider slips/gully into play as a mistimed square drive could see you slicing the ball towards those fielders.

? I?d like to see a slog sweep allowing me to try to hit fuller deliveries on the stumps aerially through midwicket without it turning into a lofted leg glance towards backward square leg. Obviously a risky shot with a high probability of missing/skying the ball but a common shot especially in the shorter forms.

? I?d like a greater penalty for playing off the front foot to short pitched fast bowling. This could be achieved by adding a couple of flinch or fend animations to be triggered when trying to play off the front foot to a ball coming through at a height between the batsman?s armpit and top of the head. This results in the batsman risking gloving/edging the ball to short leg/gully/the cordon. This would make the batsman think twice about sitting on the front foot to everything. I?d also like the risk of the batsman missing the ball and possibly getting injured. It would add great tension if I?m batting with my star fast bowler knowing I risk injury if I just try to plonk down my front foot making me nervous about coming forward to the ball when facing a genuine quick? just like in real life.

? I?d like to see a greater penalty for playing back to full length balls (even when playing straight) by adding some ?jamming the bat down? type animations. Thee would involve a high(er) probability of edging or missing the ball. Between this and the previous suggestion we could finally have a game where (in the right conditions and with the right bowler) I can pepper the opposition with short balls, forcing them onto the back foot before surprising them with the fast full one for a bowled/lbw/catch behind.

Just my 20c ;)

Sorry to quote myself by just wanted to add 1 more thing to the batting controls.

I'd like for the RAS input to be analogue and determine power with the more power you put into it the further it goes. I think this'd give you more control than using the left and right triggers (especially as not all triggers are created equal) and would let you control the power of your "normal" shots as well.

I would still keep the triggers as modifiers with LT/R2 for lofting and RT/R2 for "defending" (basically no follow through).

In this way you could play normal attacking shots (intended to go along the ground) without any triggers but distinguish between trying to ease a ball through a gap or out to the fielder on the boundary and trying to blast it at full force for four (replacing what L2+R2 do now).

Using the LT/L2 trigger you could control if you're trying to belt the ball 12 rows back or just gently chip it over the infield for a couple.

And using the RT/R2 trigger you could play anything from a soft handed defensive shot that kills the ball to a firm nudge (essentially a shot with no follow through) that lets you nurdle the ball into gaps or run the ball down to 3rd man. You might even be able to, if everything is just right (right delivery, right footwork, right timing) be able to have those instances where a firm defensive push sees the ball go flying back past the bowler and to the boundary - glorious. Of course defending with hard hands increases the chances of edges and of those edges carrying to hand. Would be great to face a couple of spinners on a bunsen, be defending well until losing concentration and pushing hard at one to see it flying off the bat/pad to a close in fielder!

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but the only addition that would really interest me would be:

Being able to instruct the partner batsman in career mode. E.g. Press RT + x = look to rotate strike, Y = Be aggressive, B = Protect your wicket, A = As normal

One fairly simple thing id like to see in a future version is a high scores/records section.
Such things have been disappearing from games at a rapid rate over the years almost to the point of extinction.
I suppose I could be referred to as an "old school gamer" but as a kid nothing was better than playing, say California games and trying to beat yours, or your brothers, or your mates high scores and afterwards being able to stare lovingly at your name atop the leaderboard.
Perhaps the only thing better was doing so on your mates copy of the game making him see your name on top every time he played it.

I guess for DBC things like highest team/individual/career scores in all formats, total wickets/Best Bowling figures, Most runs in an over etc.. would all be nice to see somewhere.
I think Cricket07 did that quite well.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but the only addition that would really interest me would be:

Being able to instruct the partner batsman in career mode. E.g. Press RT + x = look to rotate strike, Y = Be aggressive, B = Protect your wicket, A = As normal

Nice idea. Perhaps, if your partner batsman was a more senior than yourself or scoring more freely for instance, you in turn, would be instructed by him?

Users who are viewing this thread