Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
A couple more things I think would be great:

Version control in match type /competition. Instead of taking a match type snapshot, the competition should know what version of the match type was in force when it was started. Any changes to that match type would create a new version: competitions started after that would know to use the new versions but competitions already going would know to use their version.

Ability to share match types and field sets via the academy

Ability to flag a field set as available to the AI or not.
Good idea..

maddy00007

School Cricketer
plz this time give use a tool to edit uniform pattens like wwe games
so that we can draw ant types of uniforms and also logo of the teams it would be awesome for a cricket game lover will spend a lot of time editing thnks

plz

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
plz this time give use a tool to edit uniform pattens like wwe games
so that we can draw ant types of uniforms and also logo of the teams it would be awesome for a cricket game lover will spend a lot of time editing thnks

plz

there already is a tool for this, its called photoshop

or the gimp, if you're like me and don't want to give Adobe all my money

Nack

Club Captain
OK so, I have read quite a bit of this thread and it is usually pretty fun, although sometimes it feels like fantasizing about nailing a Hollywood actress - it's fun to think about but it will probably never happen. Anyway, I am probably wrong about this but I don't think I have seen anyone suggest the following idea.

One of my favourite things about cricket is the tactics. One thing I constantly see people mention as their least favourite thing about sports videogames is the AI is boring and predictable. I might have a solution to satisfy both of our desires. (Not the Hollywood actress one)

In reality, cricket is pretty simple. There are only a few different general tactics that bowlers and captains use to get the opposition out. So why not have them as options? Why not tell the AI exactly what to do? And have corresponding default fields for each tactic.

Tactic 1: Conventional (Aggressive). Default field: 3 slips and a gully, point, fine leg, mid on, mid off... short leg...no cover, no midwicket. Bowler bowls a fullish good length outside off, with the occasional straight full one or bouncer.

Tactic 2: Conventional (Defensive). 1st slip, gully, third man, point, cover, mid off, mid on, mid wicket, fine leg. Bowler bowls a shortish good length outside off, again with the occasional straight full one or bouncer.

Tactic 3: Leg Theory. 1st slip, gully, leg gully, short leg, squarish fine leg, deep mid wicket, mid on, mid off, cover. Bowler bowls at the body - bouncers or very short good length balls. Occasional full one, either at the stumps or outside off to tempt the loose drive.

Tactic 4: Full and Straight. Same field as the defensive conventional one, except maybe with a catching cover or catching midwicket, but the line is full and straight at the stumps, with the occasional teaser outside off and the occasional bouncer.

That's all you need for first class and one day cricket as far as pace bowling. You could have a couple of variations for T20, like a 'Death Bowling' tactic: yorkers - either straight or wide lines, with mid on and mid off back. And then another good one would be 'Pace Off': shortish length slower balls - off cutters, leg cutters, with the square fielders back and mid off and mid on up. I was also thinking another option possibly necessary for first class cricket would be an 'ultra defensive' field, where the 'bowling tactic' is the same as the 'Conventional Defensive' one, but almost all the fielders are on the fence. This could actually work for all the tactics - there could be a 'less aggressive' default field for each of the other tactics too. In fact, it would be nice if each tactic had say, three *slightly* different fields. And the AI could randomly vary them to imitate a captain 'going with his gut'.

For spin, you only really need two tactics - aggressive and defensive. Aggressive would mean the bowler bowls more loopy, flighted deliveries, driving length, generally around off stump. Defensive would mean they bowl flatter, straighter lines, and generally a bit shorter. Aggressive default field would be something like, 1st slip, leg slip, short leg, mid on and mid off up. Defensive would be mid on and mid off back, no slips, no short leg.

The idea is that the tactic dictates how the bowler bowls for *most* of the over. But it could be set so that depending on the skill (and confidence?) level of the bowler, they would err either on line or length at least once an over, adding some unpredictability. This would be a good, realistic way of making the skill level of bowlers meaningful... which doesn't really seem to be the case right now. It could do the same thing for the 'personality' and 'strength' attributes that players have as well. A more aggressive bowler (or perhaps it could depend on the captain) would persist with the more aggressive tactics for longer; a conservative bowler (or captain) would resort to the defensive tactic quickly. This could also work with how different AI batsman respond to the different tactics. Aggressive batsmen would take the short stuff on when facing the 'Leg Theory' tactic; conservative batsmen would duck and weave. Batsmen whose strength is 'back foot' would rarely get out hooking. Other batsmen would hit a lot more hooks in the air.

As I said, the fields would only be default fields. The AI would still do what it does at the moment where if you keep smacking balls through the covers then they put a deep cover in. But the cool thing about having them as fields that correspond to a tactic is that it would add an element of reality where as a batsman you can look at the field and have a pretty good idea of how the opposition is trying to get you out, as opposed to how it is currently where you only look at the field to see where the gaps are, and then prepare to have the bowler bowl apparently completely random lines and lengths at you.

I think this would make all elements of the game more fun. It would make captaining more fun, because you would effectively be directing the bowler of what to do, rather than just setting the field and watching them bowl wherever they like. It would make batting more fun because you would know how the AI is trying to get you out. And it could even make bowling more fun. Like, I thought one way they could go about it is that there are no 'custom field' options. You have to pick one of the default fields, and then you can change it if you want, but the batsman would react the way they would react to the corresponding tactic of the default field you picked.

I have a feeling that something like this might be on the cards and I hope I'm right. I feel like with the first iteration they were already going along these lines with having the personality and strength/weakness attributes. If they managed to make it like I just described I think it would be a beautiful thing.

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
OK so, I have read quite a bit of this thread and it is usually pretty fun, although sometimes it feels like fantasizing about nailing a Hollywood actress - it's fun to think about but it will probably never happen. Anyway, I am probably wrong about this but I don't think I have seen anyone suggest the following idea.

One of my favourite things about cricket is the tactics. One thing I constantly see people mention as their least favourite thing about sports videogames is the AI is boring and predictable. I might have a solution to satisfy both of our desires. (Not the Hollywood actress one)

In reality, cricket is pretty simple. There are only a few different general tactics that bowlers and captains use to get the opposition out. So why not have them as options? Why not tell the AI exactly what to do? And have corresponding default fields for each tactic.

Tactic 1: Conventional (Aggressive). Default field: 3 slips and a gully, point, fine leg, mid on, mid off... short leg...no cover, no midwicket. Bowler bowls a fullish good length outside off, with the occasional straight full one or bouncer.

Tactic 2: Conventional (Defensive). 1st slip, gully, third man, point, cover, mid off, mid on, mid wicket, fine leg. Bowler bowls a shortish good length outside off, again with the occasional straight full one or bouncer.

Tactic 3: Leg Theory. 1st slip, gully, leg gully, short leg, squarish fine leg, deep mid wicket, mid on, mid off, cover. Bowler bowls at the body - bouncers or very short good length balls. Occasional full one, either at the stumps or outside off to tempt the loose drive.

Tactic 4: Full and Straight. Same field as the defensive conventional one, except maybe with a catching cover or catching midwicket, but the line is full and straight at the stumps, with the occasional teaser outside off and the occasional bouncer.

That's all you need for first class and one day cricket as far as pace bowling. You could have a couple of variations for T20, like a 'Death Bowling' tactic: yorkers - either straight or wide lines, with mid on and mid off back. And then another good one would be 'Pace Off': shortish length slower balls - off cutters, leg cutters, with the square fielders back and mid off and mid on up. I was also thinking another option possibly necessary for first class cricket would be an 'ultra defensive' field, where the 'bowling tactic' is the same as the 'Conventional Defensive' one, but almost all the fielders are on the fence. This could actually work for all the tactics - there could be a 'less aggressive' default field for each of the other tactics too. In fact, it would be nice if each tactic had say, three *slightly* different fields. And the AI could randomly vary them to imitate a captain 'going with his gut'.

For spin, you only really need two tactics - aggressive and defensive. Aggressive would mean the bowler bowls more loopy, flighted deliveries, driving length, generally around off stump. Defensive would mean they bowl flatter, straighter lines, and generally a bit shorter. Aggressive default field would be something like, 1st slip, leg slip, short leg, mid on and mid off up. Defensive would be mid on and mid off back, no slips, no short leg.

The idea is that the tactic dictates how the bowler bowls for *most* of the over. But it could be set so that depending on the skill (and confidence?) level of the bowler, they would err either on line or length at least once an over, adding some unpredictability. This would be a good, realistic way of making the skill level of bowlers meaningful... which doesn't really seem to be the case right now. It could do the same thing for the 'personality' and 'strength' attributes that players have as well. A more aggressive bowler (or perhaps it could depend on the captain) would persist with the more aggressive tactics for longer; a conservative bowler (or captain) would resort to the defensive tactic quickly. This could also work with how different AI batsman respond to the different tactics. Aggressive batsmen would take the short stuff on when facing the 'Leg Theory' tactic; conservative batsmen would duck and weave. Batsmen whose strength is 'back foot' would rarely get out hooking. Other batsmen would hit a lot more hooks in the air.

As I said, the fields would only be default fields. The AI would still do what it does at the moment where if you keep smacking balls through the covers then they put a deep cover in. But the cool thing about having them as fields that correspond to a tactic is that it would add an element of reality where as a batsman you can look at the field and have a pretty good idea of how the opposition is trying to get you out, as opposed to how it is currently where you only look at the field to see where the gaps are, and then prepare to have the bowler bowl apparently completely random lines and lengths at you.

I think this would make all elements of the game more fun. It would make captaining more fun, because you would effectively be directing the bowler of what to do, rather than just setting the field and watching them bowl wherever they like. It would make batting more fun because you would know how the AI is trying to get you out. And it could even make bowling more fun. Like, I thought one way they could go about it is that there are no 'custom field' options. You have to pick one of the default fields, and then you can change it if you want, but the batsman would react the way they would react to the corresponding tactic of the default field you picked.

I have a feeling that something like this might be on the cards and I hope I'm right. I feel like with the first iteration they were already going along these lines with having the personality and strength/weakness attributes. If they managed to make it like I just described I think it would be a beautiful thing.

This is a good idea and something very similar to what I have suggested in the past. However the options must be greatly expanded, and also be affected by things like how good a bowler is at executing a plan, how long a captain sticks to a plan before changing etc. to give us variation in opponent.

I'd like a structure where you might set a bowler's favoured plans, and the plans to which a given batsman might be vulnerable - the AI will choose a plan based on the captain's tactical acumen & bowler's skill

LiamHampshire

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Having played DBC14 for about a year now I have come across a pretty crucial thing that I believe should be an important part of the next iteration of DBC: for DBC16 I think the state of the pitch should have a lot more of an effect on how the game pans out. Let me explain. I went on casual and I decided to play a test match for the hell of it as I was getting bored of my career. I set up the pitch as a lovely green top in humid conditions, perfect for a swinging seamer, right? My spinner goes and takes a 6-fer in the first innings and takes 3 in the second. Slightly confused by this, I decided I would set up the pitch as a dusty, raging turner in baking conditions. Between them, my two spinners and one part-timer take 2 wickets in the whole two innings and my seamers clean up the other 16 (they declared in the first innings). Thinking I may have been unlucky and witnessed two anomalies, I kept trying and got the same result as the situations I described for both pitches (most times) albeit sometimes less extreme (raging turner, 2 spinners+part timer take 6 wickets in two innings and seamers grab 14). What I'm trying to say is the state of the pitch NEEDS to have more of an impact on the way the game plays; which bowlers are successful and how much is a good score.

Sorry for making this really long winded, I just tried to get my point across as best as possible. :)

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Having played DBC14 for about a year now I have come across a pretty crucial thing that I believe should be an important part of the next iteration of DBC: for DBC16 I think the state of the pitch should have a lot more of an effect on how the game pans out. Let me explain. I went on casual and I decided to play a test match for the hell of it as I was getting bored of my career. I set up the pitch as a lovely green top in humid conditions, perfect for a swinging seamer, right? My spinner goes and takes a 6-fer in the first innings and takes 3 in the second. Slightly confused by this, I decided I would set up the pitch as a dusty, raging turner in baking conditions. Between them, my two spinners and one part-timer take 2 wickets in the whole two innings and my seamers clean up the other 16 (they declared in the first innings). Thinking I may have been unlucky and witnessed two anomalies, I kept trying and got the same result as the situations I described for both pitches (most times) albeit sometimes less extreme (raging turner, 2 spinners+part timer take 6 wickets in two innings and seamers grab 14). What I'm trying to say is the state of the pitch NEEDS to have more of an impact on the way the game plays; which bowlers are successful and how much is a good score.

Sorry for making this really long winded, I just tried to get my point across as best as possible. :)

Are you playing on reduced skills? In my Eng vs WI test Narine and Samuels took 6 while my seamers took 2 (two run outs) on a dusty surface with big cracks.

gunit123

County Cricketer
What I'm trying to say is the state of the pitch NEEDS to have more of an impact on the way the game plays; which bowlers are successful and how much is a good score.

Couldn't agree more - if this is addressed AND the bowling engine is itself revamped to solve such issues, we are on to a winner.

LiamHampshire

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Are you playing on reduced skills? In my Eng vs WI test Narine and Samuels took 6 while my seamers took 2 (two run outs) on a dusty surface with big cracks.

Nope, not playing on reduced skills. Not sure if this explains anything but I played some of my tests on pro and when that became too easy I played the rest of them on veteran.

Valaurelius

Club Cricketer
One thing that I think should be included would be about the wicket keepers.
I don't know if it would be difficult, but the wicket keepers on 2014 stay behind the wickets, even for the slow throws coming from 70 meters out and watch it roll past them. So if it is possible to have the wicket keeper move about to collect balls that are thrown in, that would help.

BittuGamz

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I would like to see a hawk eye after every appeal which is not reviewed coz we will get to know how to ball accordingly and reason why that was given not out and will help reviewing better...:)[DOUBLEPOST=1459153053][/DOUBLEPOST]yes so the batsmen will play carefully and there should be use of 12th man if a player injures and a injured player can come bat later in the innings

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I would like to have some match awareness from the Bowlers when balls are thrown in by the fielders for runouts . More often than not they will catch the ball in front of the wickets instead of behind , negating any chances for a runout opportunity . The whole Feel around the wickets when fielding is very sluggish , keeper included.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Just played a few co-op matches with @grkrama and he had an idea of including applause from bowler for good fielding and good throw at a press of a button, similarly frustration shown on bad ones with captain making a field change taking that player out of that position to cool down the bowler and concentrate on his bowling..Just an animation..This should also affect his confidence like it does in real life when the fielders are backing the bowler with good fielding...

Users who are viewing this thread