Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Aussie spirit will flow on to the socceroos. Attack has room for improvement and thier defense can only get better with our new coach.

One more World cup and Aus can cliam the title of being the most dominant country on the universe!

aussie1st said:
The Aussie spirit will flow on to the socceroos. Attack has room for improvement and thier defense can only get better with our new coach.

One more World cup and Aus can cliam the title of being the most dominant country on the universe!

Lol, I will give Australia (not you, as your not aussie ;)) credit where credit is due. Fantastic sporting nation, who dominate a lot of sports. However, you dare claim football as one of these!

JamesyJames3 said:
Lol, I will give Australia (not you, as your not aussie ;)) credit where credit is due. Fantastic sporting nation, who dominate a lot of sports. However, you dare claim football as one of these!

And if England win I'll give them (not you, as your not english ;)) credit. And need I remind you the guy who won you the Ashes isn't English either ;)

Last edited:
aussie1st said:
And if England win I'll give them (not you, as your not english ;)) credit. And need I remind you the guy who won you the Ashes isn't English either ;)

Lol, but my name isnt JamesyJames 3 who lives in Australia! ;)

And who is the guy that won us the Ashes? If I chose one I would say Flintoff. Hes as english as they come!

Sour grapes! ;)

He means KP.

Take out the Symonds (who is as Australian as KP is English) of the ODI side and Australia look alot weaker.

Accents mean nothing.

Guess that means Guus Hiddink is now an Australian!

320 million to watch Cup draw

A GLOBAL audience of 320 million is expected to witness the World Cup finals draw on December 9.

The World Cup organising committee confirmed overnight that the draw for the 2006 finals, from June 9 to July 9, will be broadcast to a total of 145 countries with 850 national and international journalists covering the event.

West Germany's 1990 World Cup winner Lothar Matthaus, who won a record 150 caps for his country, will be one of eight footballing greats to help make the group draw.

Germany's female supermodel, Heidi Klum, will help present the event while Colombian pop star Juanes will provide entertainment.

The 32 qualified teams will be drawn into eight groups of four and organising committee vice-president Wolfgang Niersbach saluted the quality on show.

"There could hardly be a better collection of nations," he said. "Apart from Uruguay all the previous champions are here and our motto of 'welcome to all friends across the world' will have its first test on December 9."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17285046-23215,00.html

Thats a lot of people watching the draw. Probably 10 million coming from Aus now that they have made it :)

I'm sure we will hear closer to the date who Aus would want in their group. I would say they wouldn't want super attacking sides in their group. The french look ripe for the picking.

m_vaughan said:
I hope England and Australia are drawn in the same group. Maybe Spain and Australia.

I don't think they can be drawn together. There's a system on the web somewhere saying the likely draw.

Source Yahoo News
Gordon Brown has confirmed the Government will back a bid to stage the 2018 World Cup in England.

The Chancellor announced plans to support the Football Association's effort if they enter the competition to host the tournament.

Mr Brown said: "We are announcing that we'll support the Football Association when they make their application and if they make their application.

"It's about time it came back to us. I believe we've got a very, very good chance of winning this. It is a great opportunity for us to be the sporting nation of the world."

Mr Brown and Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell will launch a feasibility study although any formal plans to stage the World Cup are some time away.

England has not hosted the World Cup since 1966 but the FA did bid for the 2006 competition, which was awarded to Germany.

Since 1966, the World Cup has been held in West Germany, Spain, Italy, France and Germany so there is a feeling England will be the next European hosts.

Football's world governing body, Fifa, have hinted at plans to rotate the competition between five continents and on that basis they awarded the 2010 World Cup to South Africa and the 2014 event is expected to be held in South America.

Earlier this week, the FA ruled out making any decision on England bidding for the 2018 World Cup before next autumn.

FA communications director Adrian Bevington said: "We have said that when the World Cup comes back to Europe it is something that we will give serious consideration to.

"It's fantastic news that the Government, through the Treasury, have announced their support for any such future bid but in terms of the precise nature of any such bid that won't be for another year or so. It will be at least next autumn before we would put any definite proposals in place."

Last week, FA chairman Geoff Thompson said England would be in a "very strong position" to mount a challenge to host the World Cup when the tournament next returns to Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread