Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a beating Real Madrid took! 6-1 for Real Zaragoza. And from what I read it could have been worse for them.

JamesyJames3 said:
With all due respect, the leagues below the Premiership dont have as big a fixture congestion due to them not being international players.

How does that effect the pitches? The international matches arnt played on the pitches and if anything lower league teams play more matches as they have more matches in the league season, earlier rounds of the FA Cup and League Cup, LDV Vans Trohpey matches plus a playoff match as well as a possibility.

Ste said:
How does that effect the pitches? The international matches arnt played on the pitches and if anything lower league teams play more matches as they have more matches in the league season, earlier rounds of the FA Cup and League Cup, LDV Vans Trohpey matches plus a playoff match as well as a possibility.
Not to mention the fact that lower league clubs dont have as many groundsmen to look after it.
I went on a stadium tour of Anfield the other day and got pretty close to the pitch and I have to say its nowhere near as bad as Chelsea's and Liverpool have played more matches than most this season. OK the anfield pitch wasn't in that great a shape either but its a valid question to ask why the Chelsea pitch seems to suffer more than most. The weather in London has been pretty good this year so it cant be that. By the way the new Wembley pitch has manmade microfibres engineered into it to make it much more hardwearing. Maybe clubs can look at this option. I think Sureshot is onto something when he suggests fines for poor pitches. I remember looking at that chelsea pitch from 2003 and it really did look like the volleyball spoof pitch.

Ste said:
Or points deductions!
probably a better idea, although it would need to be a pretty bit point deduction to make any difference to Chelsea, say around 22 or so ;)

Ste said:

No, you mistunderstood my post. I dont mean they play the international games on those pitches.

What I am saying is over the Christmas period teams were playing something like 5 games in 11 days. The Championship and lower spread out there games more than this due to not being international players (the majority). Fixture congestion is far worse in the Premiership.

Also, they are professionals, stop whinging about pitch conditions. I played on that sort of pitch for years and Im not a pro, found it fine.

Rubbish.

Championship to League 2 have a minimum of 23 (we'll have played 26 this season iirc) home games, how many teams in the premiership play 4 home games outside the cup?

Plus it's no excuse for Chelsea they could easily import turf from the continent.

Sureshot said:
Rubbish.

Championship to League 2 have a minimum of 23 (we'll have played 26 this season iirc) home games, how many teams in the premiership play 4 home games outside the cup?

Plus it's no excuse for Chelsea they could easily import turf from the continent.

The problem is with organisation, so its not rubbish. The Championship and lower have there games more spread out, which means no fixture congestion like the Premiership clubs have over Christmas.

We were scheduled for 4 games in 7 days, but MK Dons game was off.

The standard of the pitch is vital in good football which is what the fans pay for (with other) In Cricket clubs get fined for poor pitches, they should in Football.

And when the money Chelsea have got comes into consideration fixture congestion means nothing.

Sureshot said:
We were scheduled for 4 games in 7 days, but MK Dons game was off.

The standard of the pitch is vital in good football which is what the fans pay for (with other) In Cricket clubs get fined for poor pitches, they should in Football.

And when the money Chelsea have got comes into consideration fixture congestion means nothing.

That game against MK Dons was away....

A cricket pitch and a football pitch are two entirely different things. You can't compare them.

JamesyJames3 said:
That game against MK Dons was away....

A cricket pitch and a football pitch are two entirely different things. You can't compare them.

And?

You said they played 5 games in 11 days, only 2/3 would be at home.

Sureshot said:
And?

You said they played 5 games in 11 days, only 2/3 would be at home.
yep, According to their webby they played fulham and birmingham on the 26 and 31st Dec. Games either side of that were 10th Dec and 7th jan. Thats about average I'd say. Now If you'll excuse me, I'm off to disinfect my PC after visiting such a dirty website.

kevmead said:
yep, According to their webby they played fulham and birmingham on the 26 and 31st Dec. Games either side of that were 10th Dec and 7th jan. Thats about average I'd say. Now If you'll excuse me, I'm off to disinfect my PC after visiting such a dirty website.

Ewww, you went on the naked Scouser website again KEV? You disgust me....and I thought I was low..... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread