Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZexyZahid said:
Yeah, I mentioned Huntelaar's name when he went from SC Heerenveen to Ajax some months ago here in this thread. I labelled him as the next thing that is to come. And he fullfilled all the expectations so far. He scored 33 goals in the normal Dutch competition. And already scored 2 goals in the playoffs.

But that isn't a good reason that Makaay and Seedorf shouldn't be selected. Makaay used to be as left attacking player in the past, so he can play in a 4-3-3 system, in which the Netherlands are playing. And players like Castelen, Meerdink, Boateng aren't even close to Seedorf's quality.

No Dutch place for Seedorf and Makaay
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060421/7/6l31.html

And I would have picked Lampard actually as the best player of the Premier Leaugue. But Gerrard isn't a bad choice either.

Though Lampard isn't the best player in the Premiership. There are a few players ahead of him - Henry, Rooney and Gerrard to name some. Lampard without Makelele in midfield wouldn't be any where near as good, hence the England performances - or lack of.

It's official, NZ has changed soccer to football. But don't worry the Aussies will still be calling it soccer, League and AFL is called football still :)

themuel1 said:
Though Lampard isn't the best player in the Premiership. There are a few players ahead of him - Henry, Rooney and Gerrard to name some. Lampard without Makelele in midfield wouldn't be any where near as good, hence the England performances - or lack of.
Lampard has been the best player in the Premiership this season. Though I do agree thats its the duo of himself and Makelele in the center of midfield, that makes Chelsea stand out from the rest. Makelele, just like during his days at Real Madrid, never gets the credit he deserves.

Makelele, just like during his days at Real Madrid, never gets the credit he deserves.

Exactly. When Real sold Makelele for Beckham Perez was like 'we've sold a player who can pass the ball 4 yards and bought one who can pass 40 yards' . :S

Real's decline started after the departure of Makelele, they realized way too late his importance and bought Gravesen, who is just not quality.

What a brilliant match. Yet again, Arsenal hold out for a 0-0 draw to go through. Villarreal deserved to get atleast one goal, and though the penalty was a shocker I was actually hoping Riquelme would score because I wanted the game to go to Extra time. :p
Poor guy, he looked absolutely crestfallen.

Franco missed some brilliant chances, definitely he should've converted atleast one of them.

Come on Milan and Arsenal! I'd be sick if Barca win the CL. :(

Good to see Henry congratulating Steven Gerrard on the PFA award. A Chelsea player would never say anything like that.

Sound familiar, 5th in the Premiership, 1-0 victory at home, 0-0 away. Possibility of facing AC Milan in the final. Knocked out Juventus in the Quarter-Finals aswell.

Good luck to Arsenal in the final and I'd hate to see what Campbell does to Lehman if they win, he deafen him :p

Just watched the match. Villarreal deserved better then this. And I also wanted to see extra time. Let's hope this was an one match performance like this from Arsenal and they won't repeat this in the final.

I wouldn't count on that. Arsenal will be all fired up for the final, they know if they don't win they won't be in the Champions league next year. I would expect them to rest players during the EPL as thats already lost.

ZexyZahid said:
Just watched the match. Villarreal deserved better then this. And I also wanted to see extra time. Let's hope this was an one match performance like this from Arsenal and they won't repeat this in the final.

Villareal couldn't score and to me never looked that close or had that feeling.

Arsenal were poor, but Villareal were worse.

Plus Villareal really go to show the lack of sportsmanship in Spanish football.

Quique Alvarez is the prime example.

Arsenal isn't that far away from the fourth spot, so I don't think many players will be rested. Arsenal actually played good football in the previous weeks till this match.

But the match I am waiting for is Barcelona vs AC Milan. Somehow I am hoping for an extra time, to see some extra tension. Let's hope Inzaghi won't make again a goal in the dying minutes for AC Milan.

Sureshot said:
Villareal couldn't score and to me never looked that close or had that feeling.

Arsenal were poor, but Villareal were worse.

Plus Villareal really go to show the lack of sportsmanship in Spanish football.

Quique Alvarez is the prime example.

Villarreal pretty much dominated the whole match, so I don't think they were that poor. Unfortunately for them they wasted the little chances they got.

And what are you talking about sportmanship of Villarreal? I think I missed that part. The only bad thing I saw the after kicking (don't know how to call it in English) of Gilberto of which the referee would have seen it, he would certainly received a red card.

I just got a quick question.

Is this thread for the English Premier League and the Champions League only, or can we discuss the A-League etc.

Thanks in advance,
Left_Hander

ZexyZahid said:
Arsenal isn't that far away from the fourth spot, so I don't think many players will be rested. Arsenal actually played good football in the previous weeks till this match.

But the match I am waiting for is Barcelona vs AC Milan. Somehow I am hoping for an extra time, to see some extra tension. Let's hope Inzaghi won't make again a goal in the dying minutes for AC Milan.

Villarreal pretty much dominated the whole match, so I don't think they were that poor. Unfortunately for them they wasted the little chances they got.

And what are you talking about sportmanship of Villarreal? I think I missed that part. The only bad thing I saw the after kicking (don't know how to call it in English) of Gilberto of which the referee would have seen it, he would certainly received a red card.

It was just a kick, a booking should have been sufficient as should a booking for the player that dived for it. The referee was shocking last night. See Ljungberg getting taken out? Disgraceful. Also, the holding in the area. I liked the way the cameraman showed the penalty (which wasn't one) takers eyes and Lehmanns.

Nice one Wenger! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread