General Cricket Discussion

Pinch hitter

Smash… Smash… Smash!
India
RCB...
Avengers
How many you thinks below is the Best T20 Kit ever... Specially in International T20...

230823.jpg

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
pranav-dhanawade-sachin-tendulkar-bat-.jpg

Sachin Tenduklar gifted the Mumbai schoolboy 1000 run scorer his autographed bat.

Nothing against the kid who did something very impressive and should be congratulated, but I think that the coach should have stepped in and declared the innings earlier - he definitely should have overnight: at that point the kid had the record so there would still have been a load of news coverage, and all that carrying on did was further embarrass the other team, which was mostly 13 and 14 year olds who'd never played cricket with a leather ball before. . Someone I know who does a fair bit of youth coaching was very critical of the batting team coach and I can only agree:

Most cricket games involving kids here have a rule that says that they have to retire once they get 50 - I'm pretty sure that they could return if every other wicket fell but that would be very unlikely. The reason is to prevent absolute thrashings like this and give everyone a shot at batting if there is a very good team playing against a not so good one - pretty much all Cricket in Scotland is Limited Overs anyway so it is less important. In America lots of Baseball and Basketball games have something called a "mercy rule", basically saying that if the gap between two teams reaches a certain extreme level, then the game is ended and the leading team declared the winner. This is exactly why, because its cruel to the other team of young kids to have them got embarrassed like this in a way that they don't deserve. Cricket is supposed to be a game with a strong spirit of sportsmanship, I would suggest that things like this go against that spirit. They should never implement a rule like that for professional cricket of course since it would be incredibly dumb, but for junior cricket which is purely amateur and should be for the fun of playing the game I think something like that makes sense, although I don't exactly know what numbers I'd use. Even in the NFL the done thing is that if you are dominating a game by 30-40 points and its the fourth quarter you stop actively trying to score points and switch to just making running plays because that way the game ends quicker (if you try a pass but it is incomplete the clock stops), because at that point all that you'd be doing is padding your stats and needlessly risking your players.

PokerAce

Banned
Nothing against the kid who did something very impressive and should be congratulated, but I think that the coach should have stepped in and declared the innings earlier - he definitely should have overnight: at that point the kid had the record so there would still have been a load of news coverage, and all that carrying on did was further embarrass the other team, which was mostly 13 and 14 year olds who'd never played cricket with a leather ball before. . Someone I know who does a fair bit of youth coaching was very critical of the batting team coach and I can only agree:

Most cricket games involving kids here have a rule that says that they have to retire once they get 50 - I'm pretty sure that they could return if every other wicket fell but that would be very unlikely. The reason is to prevent absolute thrashings like this and give everyone a shot at batting if there is a very good team playing against a not so good one - pretty much all Cricket in Scotland is Limited Overs anyway so it is less important. In America lots of Baseball and Basketball games have something called a "mercy rule", basically saying that if the gap between two teams reaches a certain extreme level, then the game is ended and the leading team declared the winner. This is exactly why, because its cruel to the other team of young kids to have them got embarrassed like this in a way that they don't deserve. Cricket is supposed to be a game with a strong spirit of sportsmanship, I would suggest that things like this go against that spirit. They should never implement a rule like that for professional cricket of course since it would be incredibly dumb, but for junior cricket which is purely amateur and should be for the fun of playing the game I think something like that makes sense, although I don't exactly know what numbers I'd use. Even in the NFL the done thing is that if you are dominating a game by 30-40 points and its the fourth quarter you stop actively trying to score points and switch to just making running plays because that way the game ends quicker (if you try a pass but it is incomplete the clock stops), because at that point all that you'd be doing is padding your stats and needlessly risking your players.

I think I agree with it to be honest. As someone who played a lot in organised school Cricket, I can assure you that 2 years age gap at school level sports is a ginormous gap and one where the younger lot, especially at 14 are reduced to becoming whipping boys.

Anyway the plaudits and rewards for the boy keep on coming - 1,009-run boy Pranav Dhanawade offered spot in Air India cricket team | cricket | Hindustan Times

What I would like to know, and I have not seen it anywhere, is just what are the guy's stats like, besides this one game. Does he perform well regularly anyway and fully cashed in against a weaker side or has he struggled for the most part, and could only score against a weak side.

grkrama

National Board President
His coach stated,this is his first century at this level i think , hasnt played a lot of games at this level and has never opened before this match, seems to have come at 7 being a keeper usually, but coach also said he is capable and has got centuries in school!

yup certainly going after 700 odd was needless!

remember reading sachin's coach actually being livid after he and kambl hadnt declared after getting centuries as per instruction instead got 650 together both triple no! Had been the one day ramakant couldnt be there in the match! the next day he promptly declared and shouted at sachin!

though has to be said that match gave kambli and sachin a lot of press and started getting noticed by selectors!

Last edited:

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Mohammad Shahzad is now 8th in icc t20 rankings. Also Dawlat Zadran is in 8th position too in the bowlers side. Mohammad Nabi is in 10th position in all rounders ranking. Very proud moment for Afghans.

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys

Oh, no. That's not it. Do You know that boundary was less than 30yrds on all sides?

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
South Africa dethroned, India No. 1 Test team | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

India, who beat South Africa 3-0 in December, have claimed the top spot for the first time since 2011. But they might not hold it for long. Australia are scheduled to play two Tests against New Zealand (ranked sixth) in February 2016 and will go top of the table if they win 1-0.

PokerAce

Banned
South Africa dethroned, India No. 1 Test team | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

India, who beat South Africa 3-0 in December, have claimed the top spot for the first time since 2011. But they might not hold it for long. Australia are scheduled to play two Tests against New Zealand (ranked sixth) in February 2016 and will go top of the table if they win 1-0.

I know its a cricinfo article and very credible, and a lot more credible than what I am going to write here.

I had posted this on the SA-Eng Tour Board on Jan 4 -

Also these are interesting times for the top 3 teams on the ICC test ranking table. Australia are leading WI 2-0, and should really win the series 3-0. If they do, then they will move ahead of India into #2 spot. If however it remains 2-0, then Australia will remain 3rd. There is plenty of rain in the 3rd test right now, and more rain is likely for the 3rd day's play. If day 3 is washed out, with not even one innings having been completed yet, the chances of a draw are high. However if there is no further rain, then Australia will beat WI easily in all likelihood.

Regardless of who is second, Australia or India, having lost the first test, SA must win atleast two of the three tests (including the one presently going on). Unless SA draw the series 2-2, or win 2-1, they will lose the top spot on the table to Australia or India, whoever is second, after Aus vs WI third test.

Now it did rain in the third Aus WI tes and so India by all accounts should move to #1. So far its all in line with the cricinfo article. However what I suspect is that the ICC Table has not yet been updated to incorporate AUs vs WI results and also Aus vs NZ. If both are incorporated then Aus will move ahead of India and be the new #1 side.

The reason why I feel its not been incorporated yet is if you see this ICC page - ICC Predictor - Test Ranking Predictor | ICC Cricket it gives you the option to see how Australia vs NZ will affect the table.

So, while I know that the article is a cricinfo article, it may have jumped the gun. Once the table incorporates Aus vs NZ, Aus vs WI and SA vs Eng, Aus will be the new no. 1 team.

However if Aus vs NZ is already incorporated into the ICC Table, then yes India are the new No. 1 side.

PokerAce

Banned
I know its a cricinfo article and very credible, and a lot more credible than what I am going to write here.

I had posted this on the SA-Eng Tour Board on Jan 4 -

Now it did rain in the third Aus WI tes and so India by all accounts should move to #1. So far its all in line with the cricinfo article. However what I suspect is that the ICC Table has not yet been updated to incorporate AUs vs WI results and also Aus vs NZ. If both are incorporated then Aus will move ahead of India and be the new #1 side.

The reason why I feel its not been incorporated yet is if you see this ICC page - ICC Predictor - Test Ranking Predictor | ICC Cricket it gives you the option to see how Australia vs NZ will affect the table.

So, while I know that the article is a cricinfo article, it may have jumped the gun. Once the table incorporates Aus vs NZ, Aus vs WI and SA vs Eng, Aus will be the new no. 1 team.

However if Aus vs NZ is already incorporated into the ICC Table, then yes India are the new No. 1 side.

Okay correction ... cricinfo is naturally right. Right now the ICC Table take into account the WI series and yes India are now the top ranked side. The NZ Aus series that kept confusing me is the series between NZ and Aus in Feb.

So yes the ICC Table is updated, and once we put in the SA vs Eng result into the table, SA drop down and India rise to the top.

Aus will have the chance to move into the top place with a win in the series. Even 1-0 will do. Should that happen India would be in an odd position to have won the #1 crown and then lost the crown, without having even played a game. India had a comprehensive win over SA to put themselves in a position to take advantage of a SA slip. However losing the crown without even playing after winning it would be quite something. That is the way the table works though.

Should Australia fail to win, and either NZ win it, or its a draw (1-1, or 0 - 0), then India will continue to hold the title.

Users who are viewing this thread