General Cricket Discussion

^None of these guys bar Steyn and Cummins are exceptionally quick. Morkel is pretty rapid as well. Rest are 140 KPH sort of guys. There are no Lees Akhtars and Waqars there. I have high hopes regarding Cummins though.
Nobody wants to bowl 150 anymore cause you will have a short carreer and you will disappear faster to the boundary. Off course there will be no Waqars and Akrams here you try and get reverse swing in a Odi game where 2 balls are use.

I have been watching India tackle Pakistan and now England in the ODI series with new rules and one thing came to my mind was: If batsmen have the liberty of using a powerplay, why not make the life of bowlers a little more easier and let them use a 5 over powerplay too in which they can field 5 fielders outside the 30 yard circle?

Another powerplay will make the game totally in favour of the batsmen. It id better this way only. And btw, it is only India's inability to accept these new rules. The rest of the countries are playing pretty well.

Another powerplay will make the game totally in favour of the batsmen. It id better this way only. And btw, it is only India's inability to accept these new rules. The rest of the countries are playing pretty well.

I agree with the second part of it but how will having an extra fielder on the boundary favor the batsmen? There isn't much scope for bowlers to attack batsmen (considering they will be one fielder short in attacking position) in ODIs anyways. There would be lesser number of boundaries hit with an extra man guarding the boundary.

The bowlers should be given a bit of levy and five fielders should be allowed to field outside the circle from 41st to 50th over.

The bowlers should be given a bit of levy and five fielders should be allowed to field outside the circle from 41st to 50th over.

10 overs will be a bit too much but the bowlers do deserve a 5 over powerplay in which they are allowed to have 5 fielders on the fence.

pfft waqars and akrams played when they originally used 2 balls in odis

1 from each end? pfffft lay of the crack pipe man. Younis retired in 2003 from International cricket and the 2 ball rule only was implemented October 2011 along with powerplays, So dunno where you saw Akram and Younis play in a odi in 2011......... :facepalm

Two new balls per innings (ODIs only): Each fielding team will be given two new balls to be used in alternate overs, one at each end. The mandatory change of the ball after the 34th over of an innings will not take place anymore.

Powerplay tweaks, Two new balls per innings - Thatscricket

Last edited:
Definitely the rules for the 92 and 96 World Cups, other tours and series may have varied, especially as a lot of ODIs even in the 90s were white clothes and red ball, but it was a condition that went away and came back

Hah- interesting indeed...Picking Kandamby as Test captain would be like Australia picking George Bailey as its T20 captain, but even worse given that in Test cricket you really need to pull your weight as a player - you can hide a weak player in T20s. As for dropping Mahela, they'd be stupid I think. Dropping Samaraweera for someone else? Yes definitely.

Have you seen anything like this? 12 runs off 1 last legitimate delivery of the innings! This happened is NZ State Twenty20, 2006-'07 season in Northern Districts v Auckland Aces match. The rule of 2 runs to be awarded in case of a no-ball also helped the Aces in that game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you seen anything like this? 12 runs off 1 last legitimate delivery of the innings! This happened is NZ State Twenty20, 2006-'07 season in Northern Districts v Auckland Aces match. The rule of 2 runs to be awarded in case of a no-ball also helped the Aces in that game.

I still remember that pretty vividly. The commentators down here refer to it quite often when there's like 12 runs to win off one ball as well.

Came across an interesting stat recently, after New Zealand, India have the worst win/loss ratio in test matches.

Users who are viewing this thread