General Cricket Discussion

Cummins needs to be managed very very carefully.

In my opinion he should only be considered for t20's and ODI's for now. Cummins has only played 3 first class games, so I don't think he has the necessary experience to bowl spells in the longest format. Plus he is only 18, and has recently suffered back problems.

My plea to the Australian selectors... please show some common sense, we don't need another case of cricketing burnout !

And there are also plenty of other better bowlers to choose from.

Cummins needs to be managed very very carefully.

In my opinion he should only be considered for t20's and ODI's for now. Cummins has only played 3 first class games, so I don't think he has the necessary experience to bowl spells in the longest format. Plus he is only 18, and has recently suffered back problems.

My plea to the Australian selectors... please show some common sense, we don't need another case of cricketing burnout !

And there are also plenty of other better bowlers to choose from.

Yeah it's an interesting conundrum. Personally, I don't think you can 'manage' fast bowler workloads and magically turn them into injury free players. It might lessen the injury chance a bit, but you are still playing with fire whenver you've got a really fast kid who's turning himself inside out every ball - I don't care whether he's only bowling 4 overs per day or 20. My theory is that most guys will have the same injury rate no matter what you do with them eg. Ryan Harris vs Mitchell Johnson: Harris is pretty brittle, Johnson's become pretty bulletproof. I don't think changing their workloads would significantly change their injury chances.

Anyway...Assuming Cummins is good enough, then I probably tend to favour the 'play him whenever he's fit' approach that Ian Chappell talks about all the time (I think his latest Cricinfo column talks about Cummins). I think of Shaun Tait who has theoretically always been in the #1 Aussie side, but with an asterix of 'whenever he's fit and firing' next to his name. Of course, most times he hasn't been fit, but there have been a couple of notable series where he's really just walked into the team based on his x-factor and made a huge impact eg. 2007 World Cup, a 2010 ODI series in England (where he cracked the 160kph and wrecked England a couple of times), the 2010 T20 World Cup. If Cummins turns out to have a Tait like career, it might be slightly disappointing, but it certainly wouldn't have been a waste.

It'd be bemusing if Cummins' ODI career was as long as Tait's. He could hang up the boots at 22.

Posted via Mobile Device

It is Afghanistan who is at 9.

Reading the comments on the cricinfo article for the T20 rankings, people sure are fired up over them. I didn't think I would see the day when people would argue who is the best T20 team lol. They hardly play so I don't know how they can make rankings, T20 is chance anyway may as well flip a coin to predict the winner.

Yeah save him 40 brutal overs a year. Honestly, it couldn't hurt his international career, but offering it as a long term workload panacea is more than a little ambitious. Implying that it's the cause of his current injury would be just plain preposterous. It's as if players can't just get injured any more, it's always someone's fault. More likely, he's gotten a bit stiff due to not bowling in the past month.

Indeed - cash can help many a decision be made. And some would say the solution would be to stop him bowling in the IPL. But as angry says, I think the less often he bowls the more likely it is he'll injury himself while bowling - counterintuitive, but it makes sense to me.

And yeah those T20 rankings are stupid. There are hardly any games played, so are pretty worthless in my eyes. Saw an article saying Australia had 'slumped' to 6th in the T20 rankings. So what? It took a few good games of T20s and we made the T20 final last World Cup.

One of the articles on a news website very candidly put something like this, "India go to England, get white-washed. Few months later, England come to India and get white-washed.". The fact of the matter is the quality of current generation international cricket players have fallen down drastically over last decade and half. This has got more to do with game being increasingly designed for commercial benefits. The moment you put a batsmen out of his comfort zone in some away conditions,more often than not, he falters, be it against pace/bounce or spin.Cricket is already a very small game globally and this apparent decline in the standard of International cricket is not only saddening but also paints a very bleak picture of cricket as a global sport.

Add to this, the pitches worldwide are being made to suit batsmen more than the bowlers and this is done in view of lucrative TV rights because public wants to watch cricket match dominated by bat more than the ball. Also hectic pace of current day lifestyle means authorities are more inclined to host T20 and ODI matches to cope with short attention span of present day cricket audience. Due to unresponsive pitch conditions, bowlers and captains go on defensive trying to keep scoring in check. This leads to fast and spin bowler losing their basic attacking skill-set and try to invent newer tricks which only enables them to keep runs down, not take wickets. We already don't have any bowlers in the rank of McGrath, Pollock, Wasim, Waqar, Walsh, Murali, Warne, Kumble, Saqlain who always looked to take wickets regardless of whatever forms of game they played in whichever part of the world. Who is going to replicate international success of these bowlers ? Who is gonna be the next McGrath or Murali or Wasim ? Few names come to mind when you try to search for the answer to the question. International cricket is already poorer after these guys hung their boots.
What the heck, the players don't have time to go back to nets or domestic cricket and rectify any mistake with their batting or bowling. One series over, next one starts right next week. This is particularly true in case of Indian cricketers who play all 12 months of the year. In India, if you switch on the telly, you see Indian players in some color or the other, on some channel or the other and this circus goes on round the year. Most of this round-the-year circus are so meaning-less and context-less that most of the fans don't care to remember them after they are over. It appears as if the cricket board's job is to keep all the cricket-specific channels running round the year. The cricket boards and TV producers are happy as long as they get their coffers full. Audience is happy as long as they get to watch cricket 24*7 on TV. It seems neither the players nor the quality of the game is cared about anymore.

I'm particularly miffed with BCCI and ICC for the current state of the game.
I love this game so much, and now it's like, the more I watch it, the more disillusioned I get. I used to be a fanatic follower of Indian cricket, but not anymore. I have stopped watching Indian players on TV because there is nothing new they do that inspires me. They win at home, they lose away, pretty familiar sight..seems like we have gone back to pre-Ganguly era of Indian cricket.The current catch-phrase in IND-ENG matches is 'ABJECT SURRENDER'. Indian media used it in Jul-Aug this year. Now British media has used it in October.

ICC, CA and CSA are dancing to financial tune of BCCI and they already have shortened on-going AUS tour of SA to accommodate Champions League T20.
Any cricket fan who has watched AUS-SA rivalry before or who is following current AUS-SA series now will note the difference in quality of contests as compared to India's tour of England or England's tour of India. At least some semblance of quality cricket is served by current AUS-SA series (I'm following it very keenly), howsoever shortened that may be.
They say when money speaks, everything else remains silent. Sadly cricket is dying a slow death at its hand.

Have to agree with you Ansh. Well written.

Fast bowling isn't dead yet... there are still some pretty good players getting around. I can think of 4 genuine quicks, who all have the potential to take 300 test wickets in their career:

Dale Steyn
Morne Morkel
Stuart Broad
Mohammad Amir (he'll still only be 24 once his 5 year ban concludes).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread