General Music Thread

She's the young girl, sang Moment Like This. Her new song is very Mariah esque, she is a very talented young singer.

Will Young is probably writing another album, which my Mum will blatently buy and make me listen to for the next eternity. Luckily i should have learnt to drive before it's released :P.

She's very good, you can't deny it

I don't care if you've got an amazing voice. Unless you create your own stuff you're just a n00b. The only shred of respect I have for Take That stems from the fact that Gary Barlow writes their songs rather than getting their record label to get someone to do it for them.

The thing is with song writing, its a very difficult and time consuming job. If an artist wants to write a whole album it could take years. Thier record label will have time restrictions and dates set aside for the artist to have thier album by, so some resort to re-producing songs, which in the case of Gym Class Hero's has worked. They've worked with DecayDance, thier record label, and have brought out songs which are built onto old songs.

Not for one minute am i saying that i like GCH, but they do a fine job of it. So many artists do better or just as well as there older counterparts.

One band who cannot pull off a meaningful song is Mcfly, what is thier newest one about? It looks stupid, they're mainly targeted at teens, yet they put out songs like that. They're trying too hard.

The thing is with song writing, its a very difficult and time consuming job. If an artist wants to write a whole album it could take years. Thier record label will have time restrictions and dates set aside for the artist to have thier album by, so some resort to re-producing songs, which in the case of Gym Class Hero's has worked. They've worked with DecayDance, thier record label, and have brought out songs which are built onto old songs.

Not for one minute am i saying that i like GCH, but they do a fine job of it. So many artists do better or just as well as there older counterparts.

One band who cannot pull off a meaningful song is Mcfly, what is thier newest one about? It looks stupid, they're mainly targeted at teens, yet they put out songs like that. They're trying too hard.

Ian Curtis wrote 5 albums before his death at 21, and he only joined Joy Division when he was around 18/19. He battled depression, epilepsy and various other social problems, yet someone who is being paid over a million a year can't do that? For a million a year I could pump out a song a week. Songwriting is actually very easy, but there aren't many around these days that actual have much songwriting ability.

I don't care if you've got an amazing voice. Unless you create your own stuff you're just a n00b. The only shred of respect I have for Take That stems from the fact that Gary Barlow writes their songs rather than getting their record label to get someone to do it for them.

Just to play devil's advocate, would you call Elvis a n00b? About 95% of his stuff was written by other people and 100% of Frank Sinatra's was.

I'd call them somewhat musically talentless. Obviously they could both sing outstandingly, but I don't really respect anyone who is singing something that others have written.

I'd call them somewhat musically talentless. Obviously they could both sing outstandingly, but I don't really respect anyone who is singing something that others have written.

Thing is i know that you're wrong on the front of saying "lyric writing is easy," because i know 100% it isnt. Theres always some who it comes easy to, but to get cracking lyrics which actually fit, instead of making them fit, is difficult. I've wrote some songs with a friend who's just getting into the business and i'm doing some seperately now, it ain't easy.

If you want me to show you some of my stuff i will do, but then again, i dont particularly want to because all i get is slagged off by some members saying its a load of crap.

Fair enough, at least your argument is consistent.

For me though, versions of other people's songs can sometimes even outstrip the originals. The obvious example is probably Johnny Cash's version of Hurt. NIN's original is a decent, if fairly unremarkable song about smack addiction, but Cash turns it into something else entirely.

Talking of Joy Division, im not a fan but Love Will Tear Us Apart is a fantastic song, and i'm going against my whole beliefs, i first heard it when Fall Out Boy covered it, but infact the JD version is 20times better.

Ian Curtis isn't a guy i particularly admire, but his song writing abilities where pretty decent, but like i say, i can admire anyone who takes thier own life.

Just to play devil's advocate, would you call Elvis a n00b? About 95% of his stuff was written by other people and 100% of Frank Sinatra's was.

I would. They are creatively n00by but are fantastic singers.

I firmly believe that if you don't write your own music, you shouldn't be taken seriously.

This argument about it being time consuming is a bit thin on the ground. Your on a million quid a minute; I'd write Shakespeare if I was on that income.

How many comedians do you know who have someone else write their jokes for them? Wouldn't be the same would it?

Well no it wouldn't but a lot of comedians, use jokes and lines from comedians of the past. It's a common thing to do, they don't make up 100% of their material.

Users who are viewing this thread