General Music Thread

As soon as a band releases 1 album they're mainstream. The definition of mainstream is "very popular, as a fad; familiar to the masses; common, usual or conventional ". Kings of Leon have been familiar to the masses for years, so they're not going mainstream now, they ARE mainstream, and have been for quite some time.

Just to reiterate my point. Iglu & Hartly ftw.

Well, Kings Of Leon used to be very different as a band to how they are now. Personally I prefer their old stuff. They've now started to create a lot of U2 esque stadium rock, which tbh is probably influenced by a record company wanting to make as much money out of them as possible, rather than keep them true to what they want to create.

I got my tickets to see Metallica in Febuary next year :)

£40 a ticket, sold out in 10 minutes.

Also going to see Within Temptation in Holland on December the 1st, they have played over 250 venues in the past 2 years (World tour) they are into the final leg now, and look at this:

http://www.within-temptation.com/en/index.php?c=agenda

Amazing stuff. :)

Last edited:
Okay, I'm having an argument with a friend. Who's the bigger (expletive), Johnny Borrel or Noel Gallagher?. I say Gallagher has taken the traditional rockstart "I love my self" attitude a little too far.

And while were discussing indie artists, Kaiser Chiefs ftw!.

Johnny Borrell clearly. At least Gallaghers talent. You really shouldn't get me started on Borrell, he's an absolute prick. Hate the bloke. What an obnoxious up himself prick, he claimed he's better than Bob Dylan :S He must sure be able to see that:"The songs on the radio sound the same, Everybody just looks the same" and "I got the movie script But I don't know what it meant" are ridiculously awful lyrics, showing not 1 ounce of this self proclaimed genius that he thinks he has.

"Firstly, I'm a genius," started Borrell. "Musically, culturally, everything. I've written two more albums. I'm writing a film in which I'm going to star in and I'm writing the soundtrack. I can't stop. I've got stacks of songs, it's just a case of getting them out there. It's like [Bob Dylan and The Band's] The Basement Tapes: it took years for people to hear them... Compared to the Razorlight album Dylan is making the chips. I'm drinking champagne."

Clearly Borrell's got some talent, but claiming that he's a class above the great Bob Dylan is ridiculous. He's a decent songwriter, but he's nowhere near the best of his generation. The likes of Noel Gallagher, Ryan Jarman, Pete Doherty, Carl Barat and Richard Ashcroft are all far better. I'm normally a fan of confidence and arrogance, but what Borrell has isn't arrogance, it's just obnoxiousness, it's the level above arrogance, which isn't appealing in the slightest. He's so far up his own arse that he fails to realise that he's not the songwriter he claims to be. I agree he's got some talent, but he's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. Also, for the record, I actually like Razorlight as a band, America's actually a pretty nice track.

Up All Night is still one of my all time favourite albums tbh. One of the very few albums i've owned in which i've enjoyed every song on it. Old school Razorlight were absolutely amazing but everything else they've released since then has been absolutely dreadful. The only song worthy of mentioning since Up All Night is 'Back to the Start', which is appropriate because it's exactly where they should consider returning.

As for the debate, Borrell is a twat no doubt about it but Noel is an absolute nob these days as well. Only no one would dare say anything bad about Noel because he's a national trasure and Oasis are teh win. Of course I love Noel and I love Oasis, but he's still a nob and I wouldn't exactly want to be Noel's mate tbh. Give me Julian Casablancas, Tom Meighan and Miles Kane anyday.

Just booked two tickets to the Oasis gig on the Sunday at Heaton Park next June:D.

Nice pics :) I take it they rocked it out hard? Also looks like you had real nice seats which it looked like it was better to have there as the standing looks pretty awful.

For the first couple of songs they were a bit rough on the edges, which is understandable as it was their second show in more than 7 years, but after that they were as good as the last time I saw them in 2001. Angus is 53 but you couldn't tell the way he was moving. We were seated on the upper level in front of the stage, so they were great for photography. My brother in law is a bit of a shutter bug so that worked out great. As far as sitting goes, it didn't really matter, not a soul in the house was sitting after the band came out.

Any of the Indie(maybe)/Pop-Punk lovers, should definitely try a great new band from Surrey. They are named "youmeatsix" (You Me At Six, not You Meat Six). I wouldn't normally bother with bands of this genre, but these guys are might impressive.

My favourite from them (loads more if you browse youtube);

Legal upload too, mods.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd imagine a coach from Spain would be quite expensive...

Users who are viewing this thread