General Music Thread

Genesis are my current favourite band, they just have so many good songs!

Jeff Buckley (L).

:hpraiseJeff Buckley is awesome, him and :hpraiseElliott Smith are easily my favourite artists

His version of Hallelujah is the best ever far better than the original

Listening to Last Goodbye currently and its my favourite song of his atm

It's nice to have someone about who's into a bit more of a diverse strand of acoustic/folky music. Anyway, Jeff Buckley is god, Elliot Smith is a genius and Joshua Radin and Bon Iver are also worth checking out. )).

Hmm, Life on Mars may be a great track, but for me, Letter to Hermione is Bowie's best track. I just love everything about it. It touches the heart-strings more than Home by Michael Bublé, and pips Home to the greatest Love-song of all-time for me. It's just lyrically beautiful, just fantastically written, and Bowie at his very best. Love it.

I decided to take your cue and listen to 'Letter to Hermione'. Chillingly beautiful. It has a certain sincerity to it, which almost seems to give away the fact that it's based on a true story. A song which means a lot to many people, on a personal level.

Last edited:
We don't need no education
We dont need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!
All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall.

Can't stop listening to this song at the moment.

We don't need no education
We dont need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!
All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall.

Can't stop listening to this song at the moment.
Most probably because Pink Floyd are possibly the greatest band ever, hated them when I was younger mind. Dark Side of the Moon is probably my favourite album of theirs.

I've always been a huge fan of Floyd, my favourite album being 'Wish You Were Here'. I could listen to 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond' all day, its the most powerful song ever written in my mind. If you listen to the lyrics, its all about Syd Barrett's descent into Physcosis and how the other members of the band have reacted. Whats so poingnant about it is that he was there the day it was recorded, for the first time in 7 years. Apparently they broke down in tears at his behaviour, which you can really hear in the lyrics delivery.

Dark Side of the Moon is a close second, its an album I stick on when doing Uni work, and can listen to from start to finish. That's one thing I havent been able to do with an album since Nirvana's Nevermind, I just cant listen to modern music. It seems to lack ambition, its so commercial. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Deep Purple; now thats my kind of party.

Dark Side of the Moon is probably my favourite album of theirs.

Concurred. Time and Money are just foping incredible, and the whole album has no had points, at all, just incredible.

Pingu - man, listen to "In Absentia" by Porcupine Tree, fairly modern album, just absolutely breathtaking, and possibly my favorite album of all time.

Last edited:
Pingu - man, listen to "In Absentia" by Porcupine Tree, fairly modern album, just absolutely breathtaking, and possibly my favorite album of all time.

Will do mate, I need to actually find something that catches my interest which isn't 1994 and before.

On a side note, has anyone else picked up Chinese Democracy by Guns n Roses? It's probably the strangest album I think I've ever purchased..

Last edited:
I could listen to 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond' all day, its the most powerful song ever written in my mind.
I freeking love that song. When the Tigers broke free is another powerful song, brings tears to my eyes.

Now listening to "is there anybody out there? - the wall live" recorded at Earls Court in 1980. Haven't dragged this out in years.

Last edited:
Most probably because Pink Floyd are possibly the greatest band ever, hated them when I was younger mind. Dark Side of the Moon is probably my favourite album of theirs.

The Wall is my favorite album (guess where my sig came from? ;)). I love every sound on it. I used to dislike them as well but The Wall changed that opinion quite easily. Brain Damage is easily the best song on Dark Side... for mine. I have, to date, The Wall, Dark Side, The Final Cut, Momentary Lapse (their worst IMO). I've been told to get a couple of others, which would you recommend be my next buy?

Agreed, Floyd are immense. Comfortably Numb has been my favourite for a while, but I'm leaning towards High Hopes as well.

Also, I've been listening to some Pete Murray, which is very good! folk/acousticbobs should check him out.

Users who are viewing this thread