General Music Thread

Anyone else here got a last.fm id? I've just bought the new albums from Razorlight, Snow Patrol and the Kaiser Chiefs. My last.fm is still showing rather a lot of listening to Noah and the Whale though...

It should be arriving tomorrow or Thursday. I listened to some samples and liked what I heard, so I got the album off Play.com

Will give my verdict once I've listened to it on my long train journey on Friday :)

Ah, I see. I thought you would have been downloading it, haha. It's ironic that you'll be listening to it on a Train, purely because the highlight of the album for me is about them, kind of.

But yeah, look forward to it!

My last.fm profile - www.last.fm/user/Karukara

Hello guys! Anyone listened to Chinese Democracy by GNR, how is it? Title track?!

Also what do you guys think of Bob Dylan? Recently a friend gave me a lot of Dylan songs, butthey didn't really catch my fancy, despite Dylan's reputation. Is it out of date? Also, English isn't my mother tongue, so I guess I cannot connect to lyrics alone. But I can connect with Pink Floyd, so it's not really a mental block, not like what I have against rap and hip-hop!

I suppose Dylan's just different a world apart from more popular contemporary music. There just isn't much good acoustic folk/rock around. He'll be hard to get into if you're a fan of modern music, all big productions and face value lyrics etc.

Anyone else here got a last.fm id? I've just bought the new albums from Razorlight, Snow Patrol and the Kaiser Chiefs. My last.fm is still showing rather a lot of listening to Noah and the Whale though...

Razorlight's new album?

Can't say I've heard a single good word about it.

As for my music. I think I'm addicted to the heavy rock of Velvet Revolver.

I have one but only so it will show what I'm playing on iTunes on my MSN profile.

I suppose Dylan's just different a world apart from more popular contemporary music. There just isn't much good acoustic folk/rock around. He'll be hard to get into if you're a fan of modern music, all big productions and face value lyrics etc.

Well, Animator I'm not sure about what you've said there. I mean Dylan is immensely popular isn't he? Usually, those who are different from the mainstream, or offbeat do not really find popular success. Which is why I mentioned Pink Floyd, probably one of the greatest, but not highly successful in the mainstream, not like Dylan or Elvis Presley.

Anyways, I must admit some music seems much less impressive at first, but keeps growing on you if one persists with it. Then as you said if one is already predisposed towards a particular kind of music, then it can take a bit longer to appreciate other forms. Guess I just have to listen to Dylan for sometime longer and I'll eventually see what I can't at the moment. This predicament however, I suspect, is in part due to the pathetic quality of popular music today. So that when I come across a particularly famous and popular artist, I'm a little suspicious in my approach, that is I listen almost with the intention to critique rather than enjoying the music.

Bob Dylan is certainly someone who's music has to be looked at for pure soul and song writing abilities. As far as I'm concerned he's the greatest singer-songwriter who's ever lived. He has so many amazingly beautiful songs, but unfortunately his style of music, with it's simplistic acoustic, slight country style just purely doesn't appeal to the mainstream of youth anymore. It's a shame, because the large majority are missing out on some truely beautiful, and simply amazing songs. The same could be said for Bowie I suppose, he's another who's music just simply doesn't appeal to the younger generation any longer.

It's a shame, because the large majority are missing out on some truely beautiful, and simply amazing songs.

Wait... Since when did the mainstream care about that?

They want something catchy, with a stupid film clip. Miley Cyrus?

Miley Cyrus is a terrible singer. I just don't like her music (and that's not because she's on Disney Channel and is just meant to be flashy, can't think of the right words lol). Britney Spears' new album isn't great either lol. It's all mehish.

Damn music thread being moved away from General Chat...

Anyway, I've had a really good musical week. Been listening to all the old albums which really got me into music. 'Up All Night', 'Franz Ferdinand', 'Absolution' etc. I've missed it. :)

I LOVE Leave Me Alone from Up All Night. Such a good tune. I really like that whole album actually. I'd still say I probably prefer Razorlight, but Up All Night's got some real nice tunes. Just a shame Borrell's a **** really.

No-one from Disney can be taken seriously as a singer as they're forced to compromise their singing career by acting as well. Not to mention, their image is altered to attract young children. Hannah Montana's funny as though.

It's the old excuse, 'I only know about it because I'm in the same room when my little brothers watch it' but when it's on, most times, I pay attention.

Users who are viewing this thread