General Music Thread

Will do mate, I need to actually find something that catches my interest which isn't 1994 and before.

On a side note, has anyone else picked up Chinese Democracy by Guns n Roses? It's probably the strangest album I think I've ever purchased..

Yeah, I have, and feel the album is way too diverse to be called one album.
Liked 2 songs so far : Chinese Democracy, Shackler's Revenge.

I've heard its created some controversy with its title song ??

Yeah, I have, and feel the album is way too diverse to be called one album.
Liked 2 songs so far : Chinese Democracy, Shackler's Revenge.

I've heard its created some controversy with its title song ??

Yeah its got some lyrics which say something about the Great Wall of China, and the Chinese have taken offence.

The album is just weird, its got some cracking tracks, and some utter stinkers. As its been 14 years in the making, and had so many different guitarists, it doesnt feel like GNR, more like a tribute band with Axl Rose singing.

Went to a battle of the bands that had all the winners of a few other battles, including my friend's band. Most bands playing were death metal wannabe's and weren't all that impressive, only good thing about them was that they instigated quite a few times some aggressive moshing. Anyway, the most corny sounding death metal band won the battle followed by a heavier version of Hillary Duff that a bunch of high school kids were there to cheer on. So that part was pretty dire but a fun night overall. My friend's band came third so they didn't get anything.

A couple of videos I made there of his band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMU2FLFdwBU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwBsC9OaH_s

I decided to take your cue and listen to 'Letter to Hermione'. Chillingly beautiful. It has a certain sincerity to it, which almost seems to give away the fact that it's based on a true story. A song which means a lot to many people, on a personal level.

Glad you enjoyed it. I think you summed the song up perfectly, chillingly beautiful is a fantastic way to describe it. I could acually listen to the song forever, it's just amazing, definitely the most beautiful song ever written for me. The only 2 I've heard that come even slightly close are Home by Michael Bublé and 23 by Jimmy Eat World. Both stunningly written and performed songs, but still nothing on Letter to Hermione.

Downloaded the new Killers album. Wasn't expecting to enjoy it on the first listen, but it's actually really good. I suppose it's because I always really enjoyed the Killers sound. Human's a brilliant song, like the first track on the album as well, good stuff.

Last edited:
I agree with you all that Pink Floyd are fantastic.

On Chinese Democracy, I was very dissapointed. Axl Rose's voice is shot to pieces.

Most probably because Pink Floyd are possibly the greatest band ever, hated them when I was younger mind. Dark Side of the Moon is probably my favourite album of theirs.
Maybe he was talking about the Eric Prydz remix ;)

I got Guitar Hero 3 for my birthday, and I'm finally able to put names and bands to some of rock's greatest classics. Of course I can't remember any of them. But I know Knights of Cydonia at least.

Just downloaded the debut album from last years X Factor runner-up, Rhydian. I thought it'd be pretty shocking, but my god, the man has one hell of a voice. I'd probably say he's up there as the best vocalist in the world right now. The big note at the end of "The Impossible Dream" is simply amazing. Not the sort of stuff I could listen to all the time, but as far as technical ability goes, it's one hell of an album. He's one of the few truely talented X Factor contestants, amazing.

Maybe he was talking about the Eric Prydz remix ;)

I got Guitar Hero 3 for my birthday, and I'm finally able to put names and bands to some of rock's greatest classics. Of course I can't remember any of them. But I know Knights of Cydonia at least.

I've also had a friend tell me that Guitar Hero: World Tour is also a good game. I've played Guitar Hero 3, quite a good game.

Yeah I saw World Tour after I'd already got 3, it looks awesome too! Drumming and singing added in for the full band experience. Anyway, 3 is awesome enough for now.

What gets me about GH3 is why AFI are in there and Led Zeppelin/Queen/AC/DC/Pink Floyd/Lynyrd Skynyrd/Journey/Cold Chisel/Dire Straits aren't.

AFI is a shockingly terrible band, and all the above mentioned are true legends of rock!

What gets me about GH3 is why AFI are in there and Led Zeppelin/Queen/AC/DC/Pink Floyd/Lynyrd Skynyrd/Journey/Cold Chisel/Dire Straits aren't.

AFI is a shockingly terrible band, and all the above mentioned are true legends of rock!

I completely agree, its always put me off has that.

Although, for those of you with a Guitar Hero guitar and a USB adaptor (so you can plug it into your PC), I suggest you look at Frets on Fire. It's a community made game, so its free, and its the same format as Guitar Hero, minus the frils. It still involves the same kind of gameplay, but the great thing is, there are thousands upon thousands of songs that people have made into Tabs, so you can find whatever you want.

Frets On Fire

If you want info on the sources of the song packs, give me a PM.

EDIT: Bloody hell, the modding community is phenonemal :O

http://www.fretsonfire.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25043

Incredible work.

Last edited:

Money, of two different varieties.

I doubt Sony will want to dish out the amount of royalties needs to be able to secure songs from all of those bands. Whilst Sony obviously wants to make a game people are going to buy, people are probably going to buy it regardless of what is on it generally, and so rather than spend millions securing deals with bands like that, they spend half the money securing lesser bands spending less but earning more in profit.

Besides, just because a band is **** doesn't mean that the guitar chords and riffs from the song aren't good, and aren't a fun thing to be able to do. They have been plenty of awful bands that have come out with riffs and hooks that are good to play.

Also, by leaving tracks like that off Sony can then obviously make full use of it's online store where you can buy songs to add to your guitar hero song package = More money.

So Pingu, did you listen to In Absentia in the end?

So Pingu, did you listen to In Absentia in the end?

It should be arriving tomorrow or Thursday. I listened to some samples and liked what I heard, so I got the album off Play.com

Will give my verdict once I've listened to it on my long train journey on Friday :)

Users who are viewing this thread