General Music Thread

Haha, no worries. They will be the Pink Floyd in 20 years time, I guarentee it.

Another spectacular band look at is Opeth, but they have extreme metal influences too, so I don't know if you'll enjoy that. Damnation from them, is a fully mellow and jazz album though, amazing one at that, so you may want to look at that too.

WOOOT!

Which albums? And which one do you like the most. I would probably take In Absentia, but they are all amazing, Wilson is sublime.

I've put on Love, Death And Mussolini + Fear Of A Blank Planet. I haven't listened to all songs yet because I play my songs on random, but I like what I've heard so far and might be getting more! ^^

@ Left Hander: Yeah, I'm enjoying some of their earlier work as much as their newer stuff!

FOABP is nothing compared to their other work, I think. In Absentia and Deadwing blow it out of the water, but Anesthesize is one hell of a song.

Anybody got the new Top Gear CD? Got my Dad it for Christmas, mainly because I love most of the songs on there :p And seeing as it's Top Gear, and my Dad is a car/bike geek (used to race motorbikes and has an Alfa Romeo 156, V6 engine), I thought I would get away with it if he didn't like the songs :D I'm sure he will though.

FOABP is nothing compared to their other work, I think. In Absentia and Deadwing blow it out of the water, but Anesthesize is one hell of a song.

I picked them at random lol and yeah Anesthetize is an epic song.

The compilation listed below is what i have found amazing till now for 07 08...

totally addicted to :
MachineHead - The Blackening (Special Edition) album . Simply amazing Metal.
Kings of Leon - Sex on fire
beats are too addictive in this one.

The ting Tings - that's not my name
Just grows on you.

Apart from this, honorable mentions are:
Slayer : The noblest Blood
Ozzy Osbourne: Black Rain (Limited Edition)
As I Lay Dying: An Ocean Between Us
Slayer: Christ Illusion
Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris
Paramore - The Final Riot
Foo Fighters - Echoes Silence
Amadou & Mariam - Welcome To Mali ( Weird African stuff... nice music though.. supposed to the topmost album of 08 )

Also, the below albums are supposed to be top albums of 2008.. but i just couldn't develop taste from them ( Since i am is soo Metal / Hard Rock mood today) . But they are amazing in their own rights, and hell lot better than most songs there.
You might like to check them out.
Constantines - Kensington Heights
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes ( Indie stuff.. totally not in mood to listen to it at all, but still got me hooked! )
The Hold Steady - Stay Positive ( nice rhythmic stuff)
The Bug - London Zoo ( Angry song is amazing , so is the whole album )

Make sure you atleast try out these albums

I was absolutely mindblown by The Blackening the first time I heard, was a while ago though, since then I found Torn by Evergrey to be another metal album of many praises.

I've been listening to Rudra a lot, the past month or so, they are actually very good.

@ Left Hander: Yeah, I'm enjoying some of their earlier work as much as their newer stuff!

When you mean early, how early is that? :D

I've got all of the albums from Mother's Milk foward (including MM).

I'm probably getting the What Hits DVD for Christmas. I wasn't sure what album I would get pre-MM so I thought a Greatest Hits DVD would be good to decide.

I have their first (selftitled) album, some assorted songs from 85 - 99 (about 15 in total), then the By The Way and Californication albums, plus their Platinum compilation.

Anybody heard Arcade Fire in here? Brilliant band, am absolutely addicted to "Keep The Car Running" and "Neighbourhood #1 (Tunnels).

Yeah I remember a few of the aussie members on here raving about Arcade Fire a couple of years ago but I didn't really think they were much good. Although having said that, I saw them at Leeds last year and they were great live.

Added Love Over Gold by Dire Straits and The Very Best Of Crowded House

I'm not sure about the latter, but I'm giving it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread