Generation Draft - COMPLETED!!

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm sorry guys, count me out. My laptop fell on concrete resulting in loss of display. I have given it to the service center and it will be back within the next14 days. Till then I have internet access only through my mobile and it will be extremely difficult for me to research and then post write ups for my picks on my mobile's slow internet connection.

Damn I'll certainly miss this. :(

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
ok, so I'll have to do 4 when I come around? well, 2 of them will be ludicrously easy. not to worried about 70-90 player, plenty of good ones, the 19th century guy I want I will not get.

extremely suspicious about the ordering, papa. I already know one of your pics. ;)

are you sure we should have 2 from 1877-1899 and only one from 1990-2011, I can think of 6 bonafide, nailed on, no misuse of the word, legends from the modern era but very few from before the 20th century, primarily because their was far fewer teams and fewer players. not sure there's 20 properly good players from that era. but if that's part of the challenge then that's entirely your decision.

War

Chairman of Selectors
ROUND 1: 1877-1899 & 1971-1990, Jack Blackham and John Snow

Blackham was arguably the first great keepers of test cricket

When people talk about great English fast-bowlers, Freddie Trueman is universally acclaimed as the best ENG has produced and rightfully so.

When it comes to who is next best, John Snow is criminally overlooked for that spot IMO.

Harold Larwood normally gets the vote due mainly to his bodyline series heroics, Syd Barnes names due to his superb record in a era of uncovered wickets and Statham for his notable accuracy.

But if one looks at Snow's record at his peak between 1968-1972 when he aided ENG in winnings series in the West Indies and Australia. His peak IMO was the most lethal by any ENG fast-bowler in he post war era next to Trueman.

Ian Chappell who faced the majority of great Windies fast-bowlers in career, constantly says on commentary to this day that Snow was the best fast-bowler he ever faced. That says something.

Last edited:

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Vince van der Bijl isn't allowed as he hasn't played any Test cricket. Minimum 10 Tests is the qualification.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Ooohh we've kicked off :D Hmm, I guess George Lohmann was always going to go pretty early - his numbers are insane. But the thing is with these old guys you are always torn between stats and legend. Some guys have awesome stats but aren't really 'loved' by history eg. Lohmann, and other guys are built up as legends and have pretty mediocre stats. Ideally you can find guys with both.

Imran of course is a champion pick. Like Blackham a lot, but I'm kinda surprised a keeper went this quickly. And Snow - yeah very underrated you're right. I was thinking of him for 51-70 actually. I guess he can arguably fit in either window.

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
George Ulyett and Sir Viv Richards​

ibzmfQLuxi2XPm.jpg
ibcrPJSDXJIfcP.jpg

The Ulyett's stats speak for himself, but if cricket is a game of statistics, the greatest of all time. I recognise he is possibly the greatest bowler of all time, but I have not had the pleasure of ever watching him play. The greatest bowling threat has come from him who has proven to be much better and bigger match winner than spin bowlers in history and his ability to influence matches. I voted for him as it's as simple a vote as you could wish for.

The best I have ever watched was Sir Viv Richards - poetry while batting apparently, never looked like he was going to get out. If Viv were around today, with the modern bats they use, the double hundred mark would have been busted a long time ago, and not just the once. Without a helmet, and playing on pitches open to the elements, would be in serious trouble against some of the quality bowlers from the 1980's and 90's - including some of the greatest spinners.

Viv Richards was uber-destructive and when on song like a force of nature - could take any game away from the opposition in a twinkling, and to go with that brutality he also had the precision of a Swiss watch.

swacker's XI

Sir Viv Richards
George Ulyett

Aditya

ICC Board Member
WC Grace and Sunil Gavaskar

Write up in a while. :)

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Wow, a lot of picks since I was last on. Good job guys :thumbs

I'm sorry guys, count me out.

Sorry hear to that mate. We're down to 11 guys now. Just bumped every one up one place in the order.

extremely suspicious about the ordering, papa. I already know one of your pics. ;)

Are you talking about Bradman? He's banned. Until I make my pick :p

but if that's part of the challenge then that's entirely your decision.

Bingo. Every one knows modern greats, and I'm not taking anything away from them. But I hardly know about players of the 19th century and early 20th. This would be a fun way to find out more about them.

Ian Chappell who faced the majority of great Windies fast-bowlers in career, constantly says on commentary to this day that Snow was the best fast-bowler he ever faced. That says something.

Actually didn't know this. I was surprised you chose Snow actually, but he was a quality bowler. Not the pick I would've made if I was looking for a bowler, but it's your team, your rules :thumbs

Loving the Blackham pick though. Sensible as well that you managed to snatch a quality keeper early. Normally in these things, there's a mad dash for them near the end.

Loving the Viv pick, Swacker. Would've been criminal if he wasn't in the top 3 to be picked from this era. To me personally, the best after the Don. Hadn't heard about your other pick before. Seems to have been a legend for Yorkshire.

And Aditya, finally! At last someone chose the Doc. Was starting to think I might be able to bag him :p Great pick. And Gavaskar was a quality player. Got your opening partnership sorted as well, I see. Can't wait to read that write-up.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
I bet no other team can have a better opening pair. :spy

Crew of Black

Club Cricketer
I'm amazed this guy wasn't picked yet

My first pick is

Frederick Spofforth

97916.jpg

Simply referred to as, "The Demon Bowler", this man was the most ruthless bowler of his era. basically the founding father of swing bowling, he was feared by many opposition batsmen in his time for his intimadatory lines and his impecable control of pace. his achievement included being the first to 50 wickets and bowling the first hat trick.

My second pick is

Sir Richard Hadlee​

8365.jpg

Sir Richard Hadlee is simply New Zealand's greatest cricketer, one only has to look at his 15 wicket haul of destruction against Australia as an example of his brilliance. A worthwile batsmen on his day, which provided an all-round edge to his game that included 2 centuries, his impeccable line and control allowed him in the end, earned him a world record amount of wickets in test matches.

Last edited:

Aditya

ICC Board Member
WC Grace and Sunil Gavaskar​

14265.player.jpg
17231.player.jpg

WC Grace, one of the finest batsman this wonderful game of cricket has ever seen. His batting average doesn't do any justice to his talent. He was a far better player than his average suggests. I obviously haven't seen him bat but from what I've heard, he surely was a very very fine batsman indeed. His bowling skills weren't too bad either, 2809 wickets at an average of 18.14 is indeed amazing.

Sunil Gavaskar, one of the best batsman to play for India. One of the greatest Indian batsman ever, or for that matter, one of the greatest batsmen EVER to play test cricket. 10122 runs at an average of 51.12 is excellent in an era that saw great fast bowlers. Bowlers from whom batsmen threatened. Those bowlers were not afraid to bowl bouncers, yorkers and if the batsmen isn't getting out, they weren't afraid of injuring them. In that era, hitting 34 centuries must be appreciated.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
But not the seamer I would have chosen from this era. Hope no else takes him before my turn, but I'd doubt it.

I was referring to the Demon here. Brilliant pick Crew. Such a legendary bowler - the man's who's antics at The Oval gave rise to arguably Test cricket's greatest rivalry - The Ashes.

Not surprised that Hadlee was picked straight-away by a Kiwi :p

Users who are viewing this thread