Grand Prix-F1

No refuelling. Good or bad?

• Total voters
So Massa gets a drive through penalty here whilst he's last, but didn't whilst leading at Valencia for exactly the same thing? Yet more inconsistency from the incompetent FIA. Is it really hard to be even moderately consistent?

I hope the mechanic that got tossed around is OK, that looked horrible.

This stupid rule closing the pits thing needs to go, it really isn't required.

So Massa gets a drive through penalty here whilst he's last, but didn't whilst leading at Valencia for exactly the same thing? Yet more inconsistency from the incompetent FIA. Is it really hard to be even moderately consistent?

I hope the mechanic that got tossed around is OK, that looked horrible.

ITA with the above. I also think that the problem with street circuits is that neatly every crash produces a safety car situation.

Kimi finishes short again. Ferrari need to rethink his contract.

Decent lead for Lewis now. Hopefully he won't mess it up like last year and win the title. 7 points clear, with 3 races left aren't there ? If so, should be definitely gettable for Lewis. It's his to lose from here.

I was talking about this with my dad while we were watching the race - trouble is without it, everyone just dives into the pits as soon as the safety car comes out. How about needing to report pit stops to the race director a certain amount of laps in advance (3-5 maybe) and only being able to make a stop when you've got one booked. This would stop everyone coming into the pits under a safety car but wouldn't peanalise teams who would run out of fuel otherwise.

I was talking about this with my dad while we were watching the race - trouble is without it, everyone just dives into the pits as soon as the safety car comes out.

This is the thing, there was never any issues when it was like that. If there was a genuine safety reason for it then I could understand them wanting to do something different. As it is now they all pile in when the pits are open anyway like they did today. Ferrari were queuing Massa and Raikkonen.

During the race Martin Brundle was talking about it, saying that the teams would say it's not their fault the car ran out of fuel when the pits were closed but the race director would say you should've started with more fuel. Utterly ridiculous, you're going to run out of fuel at some stage! Had the safety car come out 5-10 minutes later than it did then almost the whole field would've had to come in with the pits still closed!

If anything, the current safety car rules create more panic amongst the pit crews because there's such a small window to make your stop without losing too much time.

Well teams know about the rule.
Obviously they know the rule, but obviously they don't know when a car is going to crash. If a car crashes and the safety car is deployed when you are just about to make a pitstop you are pretty much buggered, you have to pit and take the 10 second stop/go penalty. There is no need to close the pitlane, just close the exit of the pitlane if the satefy car is passing down the pit straight.

Kev added 0 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

Speaking of safety, did anyone else wince when Nelson Piquet ran across the track?!!!
What was going thru my head was more "Where the hell are the marshalls?"

There is no need to close the pitlane, just close the exit of the pitlane if the satefy car is passing down the pit straight.

Far too much common sense being shown there - as if that will ever happen :p

Well I dont really care. 20th race win for Fernando Alonso, and a brilliant drive despite the fact that the safety car situation helped him. Like I said he has done really well in that Renault this season. He is probably still the best driver out of the current lot.

Brilliant set-up by singapore, amazing night race and surely, historic race as it's said to be.

Congratulations to fernando alonso, despite of the safety car coming out and massa's 10'second penalty + Pit-stop time, Starting 15th on the Grid to win the race is brilliant. Showed schumacherism in the great race :p

He said in the interview that "I just cannot believe i won the race, it surely would take 2 days to get who won the race"

Hehe, He's a great driver, despite of many things that have messed him up for a while, i think he can fully get back on track next season.

Once again, Congratulations Fernando alonso, top-finishers, drivers, Singapore Grand prix's inaugural night race.. And the Entire Formula 1 :D

..KBC..

ITA with the above. I also think that the problem with street circuits is that neatly every crash produces a safety car situation.

Which is why street circuits get races, because people know there is a bigger chance of a big crash, they will watch it. It's a sick view, but most of the TV audience want that.

I thought that yesterday's race showed very little overtaking, finally we can get over the pathetic hype of a night race. It's not exactly a new feature in motor sport racing!

Rosberg and Alonso drove excellent races.

Back to back wins for Alonso and Renault. Unbelievable. Massa gets a point, but advantage still with Lewis. But Alonso is just simply the best!

Users who are viewing this thread