Greatest Opening Batsman of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Just been thinking for the last several minutes of who could possibly be a BETTER opening batsman then Matthew Hayden. I thought of Sachin Tendulker, but I dunno. I tender think Hayden's a better batsman then Tendulker and that Tendulker wasn't a FULL-TIME opening batsman for India. Lay out you're suggestions. Guess it's kinda obvious now who I think...

Matthew Hayden.

How many centuries Matthew Hayden has scored?And do u know out of 39 centuries how much Sachin has scored at opening the batting?

wfdu_ben91 said:
Just been thinking for the last several minutes of who could possibly be a BETTER opening batsman then Matthew Hayden. I thought of Sachin Tendulker, but I dunno. I tender think Hayden's a better batsman then Tendulker and that Tendulker wasn't a FULL-TIME opening batsman for India. Lay out you're suggestions. Guess it's kinda obvious now who I think...

Matthew Hayden.

You're joking right?
First of all, you have not specified whether this is concerning test cricket or ODI. Hand's down Sachin Tendulkar was a better batsman in every single category than Hayden...It's not even close.

And what do you mean by Tendulkar was not a full-time opening batsman for India? After the Early stages of his career, Tendulkar was full time in opening the innings for ODI cricket. As for test matches, he rarely ever opened, he came in at no.4.

The best ODI opening batsman of all time is without a doubt Sachin Tendulkar, then daylight, then maybe Gilchrist, Ganguly, or Anwar.
As for the greatest opening batsman in test cricket...Hayden is definitly not, he's up there, but by no means the greatest. Gavaskar was a brilliant opener...Not sure if he was the greatest, I can't decide. BTW, was Hobbs an opening batsman?

I agree Sachin is the greatest opener,

But for the most popular id have to say(and i know you didnt ask this) but its got to be Gilchrist!

tendulkar greatest opening batsman? dont think so, his a GREAT opening batsman but not the greatest.

langerrox said:
tendulkar greatest opening batsman? dont think so, his a GREAT opening batsman but not the greatest.

LOL and who is? :rolleyes:

Tendulkar was not an opening batsman in test matches...but in ODI's cmon man...Name me 1 guy who was better...IF you do, I will then go get some stats to shut you up...

gaurav_indian said:
How many centuries Matthew Hayden has scored?And do u know out of 39 centuries how much Sachin has scored at opening the batting?

Hayden has a MUCH better converison rate then Tendulker.

zreh said:
You're joking right?
First of all, you have not specified whether this is concerning test cricket or ODI. Hand's down Sachin Tendulkar was a better batsman in every single category than Hayden...It's not even close.

And what do you mean by Tendulkar was not a full-time opening batsman for India? After the Early stages of his career, Tendulkar was full time in opening the innings for ODI cricket. As for test matches, he rarely ever opened, he came in at no.4.

The best ODI opening batsman of all time is without a doubt Sachin Tendulkar, then daylight, then maybe Gilchrist, Ganguly, or Anwar.
As for the greatest opening batsman in test cricket...Hayden is definitly not, he's up there, but by no means the greatest. Gavaskar was a brilliant opener...Not sure if he was the greatest, I can't decide. BTW, was Hobbs an opening batsman?

I'm joking? No.

Tendulkers better then Hayden in every single category? I disagree. Apart from probably cutting the ball, name one part of batting Hayden hasn't matched Tendulker in? Hayden can dominate, he has great techinique and a brilliant Test Match/Century Rate converison. I'd say the only thing standing in the way of Tendulker's century record is that Tendulker has played more matches then Hayden.

And yes, I think Hobbs was a opening batsman.

zreh said:
LOL and who is? :rolleyes:

Tendulkar was not an opening batsman in test matches...but in ODI's cmon man...Name me 1 guy who was better...IF you do, I will then go get some stats to shut you up...
dude tendulkar is good but stat-wise he is just a minnow basher, he has 10 centurys agaisnt the minnows and averages above 45 agaisnt west indies, aus and sri lanka only.. im not saying his bad im saying he isnt the greatest

langerrox said:
dude tendulkar is good but stat-wise he is just a minnow basher, he has 10 centurys agaisnt the minnows and averages above 45 agaisnt west indies, aus and sri lanka only.. im not saying his bad im saying he isnt the greatest

Hayden is also a minnow basher, remember the WR against Zimbabwe :D

I'd say its very difficult to decide who is the greatest opener since i have not seen many other great past openers. I would slightly favour Tendulkar purely on the basis that his record is superb, he's played for a team who hasn't had much success in test matches and his technique is absolutely brilliant. Hayden on the otherhand doesn't need to face the likes of Warne and McGrath while Tendulkar has to face the two greats and has done rather well against them.

wfdu_ben91 said:
Hayden has a MUCH better converison rate then Tendulker.

I'm joking? No.

Tendulkers better then Hayden in every single category? I disagree. Apart from probably cutting the ball, name one part of batting Hayden hasn't matched Tendulker in? Hayden can dominate, he has great techinique and a brilliant Test Match/Century Rate converison. I'd say the only thing standing in the way of Tendulker's century record is that Tendulker has played more matches then Hayden.

And yes, I think Hobbs was a opening batsman.

Most of your points are so irrelevant, your argument is weak, now let me show you why Tendulkar and Hayden should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

Hayden's stats for ODI's:

Runs: 4131 Highest Score: 146 Average: 40.10 Strike Rate: 75.90 100's: 5 50's: 26 4's: 419 6's: 50

Tendulkar's stats for OD's:

Runs: 14148 Highest Score: 186 Average: 44.21 Strike Rate: 85.97 100's: 39 50's: 72 4's: 1508 6's: 149.

Now, lets see if Hayden had played as many games as Tendulkar...First of all, this should give you a clue...If Hayden doesn't even get selected, then how the hell can he be so damn good.

IF Hayden would have mainted that 40.10 average and had played as many games as Tendulkar...And I very very highly doubt he would have mainted that average....He would still be around 1500 runs short of Tendulkar's total....And this is...If he had mainted that average, and realisticly speaking he most certainly would not have. If Hayden had played as many games, he would probably have a lower average, and hense would then be around 4-5 thousand runs short of Tendulkar...Maybe more.

Now lets look at the centuries each have scored...Tendulkar has scored 34 more centuries than Hayden...No other batsman has even scored 34 ODI centuries...You might argue that Hayden has not played as many games as Tendulkar, so it's unfair to look at the centuries aspect...But let's pretend that he did play as many games as Sachin.

Hayden scores a century 4.3% of the time, whereas Tendulkar scores a century 11.02% of the time. A difference of a whopping 6.72%.
This means that if Hayden had played as many games as Tendulkar he would have 17 centures...Tendulkar would still have more than double off Hayden's centuries. Right Hayden is so much better... :rolleyes:

BTW, besides for cutting the ball better than Hayden, Tendulkar has also much superior footwork, he basicly plays every shot in the book, and does it at a level where Hayden cannot. I have watched both of them, and Tendulkar is soooo far ahead, its not funny...

Listen, I'm not saying that Hayden is a bad batsman, he's not, he is a great bat, but Tendulkar is lightyears ahead, the raw facts prove just that.
Tendulkar has also got out in the 90's more than any other batsman.

I wait for your rebuttle...

...That is if you have one...

langerrox said:

I still want you to name me an opening batsman who was better, Ill prove to you by raw statistics that Tendulkar was better...then we'll see how many runs they scored agaisnt minows, etc etc.. Because runs agaisnt minows applies to all batsmen.
Your argument is really weak bro, read my other post, with the stats..You'll see.

Last edited:
kodos said:
Hayden is also a minnow basher, remember the WR against Zimbabwe :D

I'd say its very difficult to decide who is the greatest opener since i have not seen many other great past openers. I would slightly favour Tendulkar purely on the basis that his record is superb, he's played for a team who hasn't had much success in test matches and his technique is absolutely brilliant. Hayden on the otherhand doesn't need to face the likes of Warne and McGrath while Tendulkar has to face the two greats and has done rather well against them.
haha great knock, i think we are talking ODI here atm.. anyway,
zreh remove the centuries agaisnt minnows for both players and the gap may close..

langerrox said:
haha great knock, i think we are talking ODI here atm.. anyway,
zreh remove the centuries agaisnt minnows for both players and the gap may close..

Hayden has 1 century agaisnt minnows....My friend the Gap widens... Another thing...Hayden's average agaisnt non minow teams: 35, Tendulkar's average agaisnt non minow teams: 43
Also, even If i remove the 10 centuries that Tendulkar has scored against minnows, he still has 29, still more than any other batsman who has also scored agaisnt minnows...

Cmon man, I was hoping for a better argument, but stats are stats, you guys look like fools trying to argue this... no offence bro, I understand that you support your own players, and thats cool, just put the bias aside! ;)

Last edited:
If we are talking about ODI's then certainly I wouldn't classify Hayden as the greatest opener in history. I would easily rate Gilchrist, Jayasuriya and Saeed Anwar ahead of Hayden. I think it would be much more reasonable to classify Hayden as one of the great opening test batsman than one of the great opening ODI batsman's.

Hayden in Tests, easily... in this current era....

Whilst looking at the stats for Tendulkar i couldn't help but notice in Tests he has only batted once at opener, and ZERO times at no.3..... Seems to me like he doesn't want to face the new ball and would rather get his eye in with an older ball that isn't doing what it was at the start of the innings.

*Awaits the Moronic Indians*

zreh said:
Hayden has 2 centuries agaisnt minnows....My friend the Gap widens...
Also, even If i remove the 10 centuries that Tendulkar has scored against minnows, he still has 29, still more than any other batsman who has also scored agaisnt minnows...

Cmon man, I was hoping for a better argument, but stats are stats, you guys look like fools trying to argue this... no offence bro, I understand that you support your own players, and thats cool, just put the bias aside! ;)
okay if you really want an arguement, you need to understand the question yourself..

"Greatest Opening Batsman of all time?"
you claim tendulkar is best of all time.. oh but thats only ODI, but his still the best because he has an average ODI record, What about tests he cant openthe batting in tests why? I thought he was the greatest of all time, surely the GREATEST could average more than 15?? his only batted there once, ill give you that but surely the GREATEST of all time could opening the batting in both forms of the game? he comes in at 4.. why?.
I never said hayden was the best, I said tendulkar wasnt the best. your opening post doesnt even make sense and neither does your arguement

:rolleyes:

oh and I'm biased? I dont think haydens the best, but you think tendulkar is and your indian. wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread