How are you doing in your career?

What did you choose for your career player?

• Total voters
So I'm currently doing a career as a leg-spinning bowling all-rounder.

I have literally torn through batting order after batting order. After the first innings of my fourth shield game I have taken 26 wickets at an average of something like 10 and a strike rate of something like 20. Then in my two one day games, I have taken 10 wickets, with a best of 8/35 :p. My English County and P40 selection chances have gone from 'long way off' to 'fair way off'. Probably be better if I could score over 10 runs.

Which leads me to another question. @HBK619, say I'm a bowling all-rounder who bats at 7 (which funnily enough I am), if I continue to score nothing yet continue to take bags of wickets, could I be selected by Australia as just a bowler and bat lower down? Or will I be eternally stuck in shield cricket because they would prefer me to learn how to average more than 2 with the bat, because I happened to say I was a bowling all-rounder at the start?

EDIT: And a question for the general public; has anyone actually batted well in career mode?

Last edited:
As a batting all rounder I'm dominating with the ball but averaging under 5 with the bat...

Don't tell me those months is nets were wasted :P I'm no Don

quick question - a lot of people seems to struggling with the bat in career mode...

have you played any (or much) non-career first class or test matches and how have you gone with that? because say if you're playing 5/10/20 over matches and then going into career mode i can see that being a problem... or even if you're getting bundled out for 200 in 15 overs in a test...

i ask because i'll be playing A LOT more first class/test in non-career modes, so was wondering if that might help in career mode?

Which leads me to another question. @HBK619, say I'm a bowling all-rounder who bats at 7 (which funnily enough I am), if I continue to score nothing yet continue to take bags of wickets, could I be selected by Australia as just a bowler and bat lower down? Or will I be eternally stuck in shield cricket because they would prefer me to learn how to average more than 2 with the bat, because I happened to say I was a bowling all-rounder at the start?
You'll be picked based on your bowling performances.

I havent played any 5/10/20 overs at all, for me its all about career mode

And yeah, i suck with the bat, but the way i see it, im 16 with limited skills, give me time

----------

What season r u up too hbk?

You'll be picked based on your bowling performances.

Sweet. Was worried my poor performances with the bat would come back to haunt me in years to come when I actually having a chance of playing for the country. And quickly one last thing, and someone else can probably answer this, what's the deal with the BBL teams? Do we just get allocated to one, do we choose one, or are we offered a contract if they want to sign us?

----------

quick question - a lot of people seems to struggling with the bat in career mode...

have you played any (or much) non-career first class or test matches and how have you gone with that? because say if you're playing 5/10/20 over matches and then going into career mode i can see that being a problem... or even if you're getting bundled out for 200 in 15 overs in a test...

i ask because i'll be playing A LOT more first class/test in non-career modes, so was wondering if that might help in career mode?

Hmm... well I played 3 overs of a test match. Does that count? I was like 0/1, that one run being a wide of course.

It probably would, although my biggest issue is the angles I push the triggers. Because your thumbs don't naturally push the trigger straight but rather curve it towards your hands, I find I keep getting out trying to play straight drives/defence shots but rather stepping inside and then trying to cover drive/block it. I can confirm this is NOT an effective tactic :p

What difficulty level are most of you play in career mode?

I started playing in Pro, and I find batting is fairly easy in career mode. I've only played one game so far but I'm expecting it to get harder as I progress through my career.

I find it difficult to bowl than batting. Fast bowling is easier but I still dont know how I can pitch the ball where I want it. Spin bowling seems more complicated. Anyone got any tips or tutorials I can watch.

This is probably the first game that I really like the bowling part of the game.

Sweet. Was worried my poor performances with the bat would come back to haunt me in years to come when I actually having a chance of playing for the country. And quickly one last thing, and someone else can probably answer this, what's the deal with the BBL teams? Do we just get allocated to one, do we choose one, or are we offered a contract if they want to sign us?

----------

Hmm... well I played 3 overs of a test match. Does that count? I was like 0/1, that one run being a wide of course.

It probably would, although my biggest issue is the angles I push the triggers. Because your thumbs don't naturally push the trigger straight but rather curve it towards your hands, I find I keep getting out trying to play straight drives/defence shots but rather stepping inside and then trying to cover drive/block it. I can confirm this is NOT an effective tactic :p

PS3 version i bet.

Quick question and sorry if already answered. I've made the team i play for on saturdays, was wondering if i could use that team in career mode ? So im playing with my saturday team ?

Ok i give up for tonight, if someone works out how to bat in career mode post it here, ive had 24 goes at it and so far no good!! It will be good to finish of the 1st season tomorrow tho!

Initially player is shit with absolutely no skill. Thus play the safe shots instead of trying expensive ones. For fast bowlers i keep them flicking toward fine leg or square leg depending on fielders. Sometime i play squarish on drive because playing straight with so much limited skills result in catch back to bowler. Very rarely i try cover drive as initially i ended up chopping the ball or edging it. If ball is short then I play cut shot only if there is a gap, else i hook it.
As far as spin is concerned, its a nightmare. I just survive using sweep shots. Thats best bet. And dont try to loft the balls, your player doesnt have strength yet. You will end up giving easy catches.
That is how i scored my first 50 and 100.
Tonight's mission, the double hundred against Aussies :cheers

I'd say what people need to realise is that in the other formats they are using extremely good players who have been around for years. At the start of your career mode you won't be anywhere near as good as the players you have been using in the games you have played before starting your career mode. Therefore the shots that you were playing with ease in other game modes are going to be more difficult in career mode initially.

I'd say what people need to realise is that in the other formats they are using extremely good players who have been around for years. At the start of your career mode you won't be anywhere near as good as the players you have been using in the games you have played before starting your career mode. Therefore the shots that you were playing with ease in other game modes are going to be more difficult in career mode initially.

great point!

Users who are viewing this thread