How are you doing in your career?

What did you choose for your career player?

• Total voters
Could be worse, I'm a wolves fan( thanks dad )!!!

My Son thanks me every day for being a Carlton, Eels, and Spurs fan... not won anything significant in his entire life so far.

Parents shouldn't force that kind of thing on their kids, they should make their own decisions based on evidence.

Parents shouldn't force that kind of thing on their kids, they should make their own decisions based on evidence.

My kids could make their own decisions, they had choices, I just wouldn't take them to any games that didn't have my team playing.

Carlton had won premierships on average every 3.5 years of my life up the very year he was born, indeed they won the flag the year before his birth but nothing since, the "evidence" would have him choose Carlton for sure, it also points to him being the worst luck ever!

Last edited:

Then the clubs Ross mentioned would only have 5 fans each.

-edit-

Actually, it is funny how we barrack for a particular team, especially when we're younger and winning doesn't actually mean as much as when you get older.

Stupid old age and being resonable!

Then the clubs Ross mentioned would only have 5 fans each.

-edit-

Actually, it is funny how we barrack for a particular team, especially when we're younger and winning doesn't actually mean as much as when you get older.

Stupid old age and being resonable!

OK. I mustn't be old enough yet.

I've been a NQ Cowboys fan since they first started in the NRL when the only thing good about them were the Cowgirls*

Most people in North Queensland are just happy to have a team...

Thankfully, when I first got into AFL proper, the Lions kicked everybody's arse.

*and they weren't very good

I was a bit slow in realising you were referring to the Cheerleaders.. was thinking.. 'huh??' :lol

Ross, was just talking about how we become a fan of a team when we're younger when we don't know better.. it is almost impossible to stop being a fan of a team regardless of how bad they may be playing. It's just that when we get older we start questioning our reasonings.. but will never change.

My Son thanks me every day for being a Carlton, Eels, and Spurs fan... not won anything significant in his entire life so far.

Presumably his first words were "this is our year..."

----------

I've been a NQ Cowboys fan since they first started in the NRL when the only thing good about them were the Cowgirls*

Most people in North Queensland are just happy to have a team...

Thankfully, when I first got into AFL proper, the Lions kicked everybody's arse.

A few years back Gloucester (Rugby Union Team) had a cheerleader squad called the Cherryettes (as our nickname was Cherry and Whites) - my god, half of them looked like they'd do more damage in a ruck than the team!

Out of those 497, how many do you think started their career at 16 or let's say at 18-19, taking the time it would take a player to get into the national team into consideration?

I'm pretty sure the number would very less. In fact, the only ones that come to my mind are Tendulkar, Ponting, and Jayasuriya. The point I'm trying to make is having a career span over 20+ years is not a common thing in cricket. Hence I feel 36 is fine.

you think most of the players would taken up cricket after 16? I mean they wouldn't have been playing tests, but they would indeed by playing some form of cricket, grade, U19 level, possibly list A. all of them.

Very few players are playing for their county or state at the age of 16. I think the 20 years between 16 and 36 is good, as we are all wonderkids who start young, and 20 years is a very long career these days.

so why start at 16 then? why not 18 to 38?

less players have played international cricket at 19 and under than have at 38, playing way beyond 36 in county cricket is so common it's regarded as the norm.

most of the best players nowadays play past 36 too, so if the rationale for starting at 16 is you're meant to be exceptionally talented then it's natural to assume you'd have an extended career.

suppose for fast bowlers it would be different.

just interested in why we've got this particular age range as it seems to be more the career span of a footballer than a cricketer.

Lets be honest. How many of us are going to play the full 20 year career anyway :p

so why start at 16 then?

This! They had to start somewhere. And I'm pretty sure if they had started at 20, there would have been someone else saying "why not 21"?

It's purely a subjective figure. I feel 16 is fine, for your it's 18 (given that we have a 20-year career at our hands). Maybe BigAnt found 16, after giving it a thought, to be fine too.

i think the ages are pretty arbitrary - basically 20 years is a long career, that is testable etc. and they have just picked a random span.

obviously a more realistic career would be starting eithaer at a lower level, or starting older in the state/county but at the end of the day this is a first iteration and i think they've got the broad brush right.

i think the ages are pretty arbitrary - basically 20 years is a long career, that is testable etc. and they have just picked a random span.

Sir Donald Bradman's career was 20 years long.
So the career mode allows us to play for 20 years and achieve what he achieved, at least 'Virtually'.

What contradicts this point is that, he played from age 20 to 40. (not 16 to 36)

So, I may both be right and wrong. Only @BigAntStudios can confirm this.

Users who are viewing this thread