How are you going in Ashes Cricket 2009?

All the details are in this thread. I was let down by poor first innings batting in the first two tests. Won the first one by 15 runs or something and lost the second.
Anyway here are the series averages:
I've had to drop my top bowler/batter in order to use the actual teams. :crying Also Hussey and Clarke averaging in single figures :(

Attachments

• overall.jpg
    overall.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 16
  • batting.jpg
    batting.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 8
  • bowling.jpg
    bowling.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 7
Yep the averages on hussey and clarke are poor you would expect better loool

Have the ai hit a very strong innings against you yet?? or is your bowling to good??

:)

I think they've had between 200 and 300 on all 6 innings. That said they'll probably get more now I've not got a proper spinner.

not bad scoring not really high enough yet tho but i think in some matches they will build a big innings it will happen occasionally i guess.

O your dropping hauritz are you real life teams, ye i was gonna do that well if the 360 patches is released anywayz.

Yup, real life teams.
They made 371 in the first test but I hadn't really got to drips with bowling post-patch at that point. Here are the summaries from the first 3 tests:

Attachments

• Cricket2009 2009-09-28 12-34-46-42.jpg
    Cricket2009 2009-09-28 12-34-46-42.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Cricket2009 2009-10-20 00-23-49-64.jpg
    Cricket2009 2009-10-20 00-23-49-64.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Cricket2009 2009-10-22 13-21-52-28.jpg
    Cricket2009 2009-10-22 13-21-52-28.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 11
I have to admit tho mixing the teams up in each test like you are by playing real life teams makes it more challenging also i would think as you said no spinner in the next test your struggle i reckon.

Yeah but England have lost KP and Freddie. Also most my third test wickets were with seamers; I've been trying some new lines.

Well i cant comment on the game as it is now but on the game pre patch everyone said the spinner was useless but because the middle order well be honest mainly every player played pretty agressive i used to do wide offspin and they used to edge to slip all the time i found it so easy and was getting 5 for with spinners all the time and won by an innings every match.

But when i didnt use spinners i was useless and could only get them out by run outs or them playing over agressive i guess but hardly ever got many wickets with the seamers.

Giggs11 added 1 Minutes and 50 Seconds later...

i really do hope this patch come man cause im really excited to play it and it would be very frustrating if all the good work done at TG come to nothing for us console owners.

great performance by Pakistan's last 4 batsman.but the hero was kamran Akmal ,he scored a 154.now it is day 2 and India in crease.
beta 2,Hard,India Vs Pak At Auckland

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 19
I think what's stopping the computer from getting high scores is the pacing still needs work. They start off very solidly, are hard to dislodge and build confidence (although too many lofted shots) then they get to 20 or 30 and give away their wicket.
Two examples here:
Bopara - smeared one to cover
Cook - half pulled to mid on

There need to be more play and misses and chances early on and less as the innings progresses and confidence rises. I know I'm being picky and I don't want to sound too negative as I'm very happy with this game but it annoys me the way the computer gets out in the 20s and 30s the whole time.
On a more positive note the Strauss wicket was awesome (probably because there are so few edges early on normally). Caught at second slip by Ponting off a real edge for 1.

Attachments

• Cricket2009 2009-10-22 18-23-11-52.jpg
    Cricket2009 2009-10-22 18-23-11-52.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
Just ordered a copy off ebay, ?16.99 but postal strikes could extend delivary time :(

so I just rented the game off love film for my PS3. Yesterday I played the first innings of a T20 with me batting and I did the batting training. Fair to say I batted much better than on Wednesday when I was bowled out for about 90. State of play was England vs Australia in the quarter finals, usual default line ups cos I forgot to change them apart from O Holden coming in for Bopara.

I lost the toss and got put into bat, exactly what I wanted cos I wasn't actually planning on bowling cos I hadn't done the training yet. Got off to a good start with Holden carving the ball around with Johnson going for 11 off the opening over. Run rate was up around 10 for a couple of overs until I could no longer time the ball. All went a bit pair shaped, but Fred managed to recover me when the run rate dropped to about 6 r.p.o, wicket fell and I thought perfect time to inject some impoteus at about the 10 over mark. I hadn't expected it to pay off untill Fred hit his 2nd ball for his and bludgeoned his way to 34 off 13 and suddenly the run rate was back. We made 153 ao off just over 18 overs.

This is when I changed my mind and decided to have a go at bowling, not having any clue what meant what I thought that light colours was better than darker colours? So I only bowled cos I thought it was a defendable target, I didn't end up taking too many wickets but it would have helped had I done the fielding drill as well, as I had no idea how to catch :p So I ended up dropping a load which probably made it closer. The batsmen went a bit mad at stages and then went back into their holes. They needed 3 off the last over and I managed to restrict them to one off the over, so I won by one run.

Was actually quite fun to bowl and is actually one of the first times I have completed a cricket match on computer games. It was really enjoyable but I kinda felt I cheated cos I ended bowling 'Broad Style' a lot of the time, I mean it didn't work all the time but Sidebottom went at 3 an over.

Anyway I look forward to playing another game when I come home from school tomorrow, attached is my scorecard, taken by my phone which is why the slightly bad quality.

Attachments

• IMG_0064.JPG
    IMG_0064.JPG
    578.1 KB · Views: 45
Replaying the 4th test still after my crash. I ended up with more runs than the first time I played, but didn't do quite so well with the new ball (only 1 wicket instead of two). I dropped Katich on 25 and it seems the only way I can get Punter out when he gets in is to wait for him to run himself out. Looked like Australia were going to make a really big score until Harmison removed the tail for virtually nothing. I really did think at one point that i'd made a huge mistake not playing a spinner (yes, thats when I even tried Cook for an over!)

4test3.jpg

4test2.jpg

4test1.jpg

Edit:

Didn't quite have the final innings my own way. Maybe it was the beer, maybe it was because it was nearly 2 in the morning. But I still can't handle spinners, even rubbish ones!

42test3.jpg

42test2.jpg

42test1.jpg

Couple of things still really bugging me. The AI bowling tactics are really poor. Pretty much all the pace bowlers bowled too short and allowed me to just hit off the back foot repeatedly in roughly the same area. As can be illustrated by this scoring chart of 25 of Strauss' shots (The 2 scoring shots not in that area are obviously edges)

42test5.jpg

Also, why in the hell do they keep appealing for stuff like this???

42test4.jpg

Edit (Again):

And so to the Oval, surely the Australians favourite ground :p

Punter wins the toss, looks like that's the only thing they'll be winning. Again, I opted to leave a spinner out and instead of Swann used Sidebum (Key in for Trott). Most wickets coming from Cutters in this innings.

dreadful2.jpg

dreadful1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread