India in Australia

Who is going to win in Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see as I was asleep. Can you please inform me in what happened?
There was a stumping appeal down the leg-side off of Harbhajan and Bucknor at square leg chose not to refer it to the third umpire. Replays suggested that it was very close, if not out, and definitely deserved a referral to the third umpire. Symonds was on 148 and Australia had 420.

The second was Brett Lee. He was struck outside the line of off-stump and an appeal for LBW was upheld. The height of the ball was doubtful as well, though Hawk-Eye suggested it would edge the top of off-stump.

When not including the umpire decisions, Kumble's overall field was poor and all over the place. I do not intend for the direct troll but he was all over the place. If someone attacks in that certain area, he'll put a man back and all that ends up being is another option for runs. If Kumble was more thoughtful with his field placements, I'm sure the score wouldn't have been as high as it was. A good example for field placings would be that back-pad for Lee and Johnson.

There was a stumping appeal down the leg-side off of Harbhajan and Bucknor at square leg chose not to refer it to the third umpire. Replays suggested that it was very close, if not out, and definitely deserved a referral to the third umpire. Symonds was on 148 and Australia had 420.

The second was Brett Lee. He was struck outside the line of off-stump and an appeal for LBW was upheld. The height of the ball was doubtful as well, though Hawk-Eye suggested it would edge the top of off-stump.

And which one was the one that went against Australia?

Gilchrist is the only batsman I can think of that consistently walks.
Dhoni walks. In fact he walked in the last match in an appeal that I don't think the umpires would have upheld.

Some previous posts have made me ponder:

Why should there be more expectation of a batsman to walk if the decision is obvious? Obvious or not, the batsman still knows he is out. Is it to save an umpire from further embarassment? Is it to show some kind of sportsmanship? Obvious or not, the batsman doesn't have to walk. It's the umpire's job to give him out and if the umpire still fails to make the correct call than that's a reflection of his credentials.
I'm undecided about walking. Kev's post in the umpiring thread suggested that people walked in the classic game, IIRC. However, the argument that you're going to get some bad decisions so you might as well take the bad ones that go for you with the ones against you is pretty strong, although two wrongs never make a right.

And which one was the one that went against Australia?
The one where Brett Lee was given out when he was not out...

Last edited:
What a nut! What a yorker! That is an amazing yorker! Outswinging yorker! What a ball! What a ball!

Brilliance from Lee. That's a near perfect yorker. Where he has worked so hard to be so accurate and with such searing pace.

I honestly don't think Sehwag will get a game in this tour. He may be selected for the 2-day tour match between the 2nd and 3rd tests if these openers fail again, but it seems that the team management just brought him for a holiday without any intention of actually using him.

To be honest, if you've got a guy like Badrinath averaging 58 as a opener, why would you want to have makeshift openers like Dravid and Karthik.

Jaffer bowled by a cracking yorker by Brett Lee. 1 down already India.

When not including the umpire decisions, Kumble's overall field was poor and all over the place. I do not intend for the direct troll but he was all over the place. If someone attacks in that certain area, he'll put a man back and all that ends up being is another option for runs. If Kumble was more thoughtful with his field placements, I'm sure the score wouldn't have been as high as it was. A good example for field placings would be that back-pad for Lee and Johnson.
Kumble's fielding left a lot to be desired. Even on Day 2 the third man was missing and two boundaries went in an over there. He just didn't know when to attack and when to defend.

Jaffer done in by the classic bouncer-yorker combination. And so it begins.

To be honest, if you've got a guy like Badrinath averaging 58 as a opener, why would you want to have makeshift openers like Dravid and Karthik.
Badrinath is not an opener. He's one drop, and hence would be a replacement for Dravid.

Last edited:
Strange, I heard plenty of talk about him being an opener. So many candidates to open the batting still then.
There are a few prospective openers in domestic cricket. I think one of the most successful last season was Parthiv Patel. I'm sure others on this forum can tell you other names.

Unfortunately most of our top players in domestic cricket over the last few years have been middle-order batsmen and with the set line-up of Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman, they have a very small chance of getting picked. Chetashwara Pujara just added himself to that list this year having a phenomenal season for Saurashtra.

Man, Brett Lee is looking dangerous. He could snare a few Indian wickets really quickly.

EDIT: It seems Pujara was actually an opener for Gujarat before he moved to Saurashtra as a middle-order batsman. So there may be a prospect there.

Last edited:
There are a few prospective openers in domestic cricket. I think one of the most successful last season was Parthiv Patel. I'm sure others on this forum can tell you other names.

Unfortunately most of our top players in domestic cricket over the last few years have been middle-order batsmen and with the set line-up of Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman, they have a very small chance of getting picked. Chetashwara Pujara just added himself to that list this year having a phenomenal season for Saurashtra.

Man, Brett Lee is looking dangerous. He could snare a few Indian wickets really quickly.

Well yeah, I think that India really need to think about their opening partnership. I personally don't think Jaffer is good enough against Australia. I'm not going off his results, he just looks like he isn't ready. When Alastair Cook was failing in the Ashes last year, you could at least tell that he is good enough, and he proved he was with a hundred. I can't see Jaffer pulling even a 50 out.

Laxman playing well, I love watching him.

cmon punter get johnson off an put clark on i think he will be a real handful on this wicket.

Also back on the walking thing alot of umpires dont like people who walk because it puts more pressure on them.
Eg ump thinks hes out known walker doesnt walk makes ump think twice.
Also ump says not out an then sees batsmen walking off its like a slap in the face saying hes hopeless got it wrong an the whole world sees how wrong it was.

Also back on the walking thing alot of umpires dont like people who walk because it puts more pressure on them.
Eg ump thinks hes out known walker doesnt walk makes ump think twice.
Also ump says not out an then sees batsmen walking off its like a slap in the face saying hes hopeless got it wrong an the whole world sees how wrong it was.
I don't agree with the second of your reasons. I hope that if you ask any Elite Panel umpire whether they'd rather have the correct decision served or whether they would like to preserve their reputation, they would say that the correct decision is more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread