3) Ganguly
4) Laxman
5) Yuvraj
6) Jaffer
7) Dhoni
8) Kumble
9) Bhajji
10) Zaheer

These are certaininty for the tour. Only 6 places are left and only 1 fast bowler is selected and no other openor. So don't think that Tiwari,Raina or Badri will even be discussed unless Shoib Akhtar wants to knock some top order batsmen jewels in next test match.

I'd say RP is more or less in if he is fit.

From those probables I'd say they're seriously considering replacing Karthik with Chopra at the top of the order. So Karthik needs to come up with something special in the next match.

Otherwise, I'm thinking they'll take another spinner, 2 more pacers and 2 more batsmen. Or maybe 3 pacers and 1 more batsman, though that would be a little more dangerous.

Yeah, the next test match may be like the most important one in his career, goof it up and the guy taking your place may make it his own and you may end up hardly get a chance again with many other youngsters popping up from nowhere, do well and the faith is restored. Here's hoping he gets a double century. :upray

:D

Yeah, the next test match may be like the most important one in his career, goof it up and the guy taking your place may make it his own and you may end up hardly get a chance again with many other youngsters popping up from nowhere, do well and the faith is restored. Here's hoping he gets a double century. :upray

:D

Double hundred??? Who??? Karthik????

I feel india need to go in with Akash Chopra and Parthiv Patel for the Australian tour. Parthiv could step in if either of the openers fail. Chopra and Jaffer should open in the tests. Chopra is a very good close in fielder too. I wish Karthik gets a break from the tests. Once the seniors retire, he can look to get back in the test team.

1) Tendulkar
2) Dravid
3) Ganguly
4) Laxman
5) Yuvraj
6) Jaffer
7) Dhoni
8) Kumble
9) Bhajji
10) Zaheer

These are certaininty for the tour. Only 6 places are left and only 1 fast bowler is selected and no other openor. So don't think that Tiwari,Raina or Badri will even be discussed unless Shoib Akhtar wants to knock some top order batsmen jewels in next test match.

Here would be my other 6

11. Akash Chopra
12. Parthiv Patel
13. VRV Singh
14. Irfan Pathan
15. Munaf Patel
16. RP Singh (if fit, or else) Ishant Sharma

Last edited:
Double hundred??? Who??? Karthik????

I feel india need to go in with Akash Chopra and Parthiv Patel for the Australian tour. Parthiv could step in if either of the openers fail. Chopra and Jaffer should open in the tests. Chopra is a very good close in fielder too. I wish Karthik gets a break from the tests. Once the seniors retire, he can look to get back in the test team.

dude....if chopra and jaffer open the innings...then it really scares
me to even imagine the scoring rate !!!

i'd take parthiv over chopra anyday. plus, parthiv would be good replacement
for dhoni if he gets injured !

1) Tendulkar
2) Dravid
3) Ganguly
4) Laxman
5) Yuvraj
6) Jaffer
7) Dhoni
8) Kumble
9) Bhajji
10) Zaheer

You would seriously want to look into that bowling attack as a two pronged-spin attack will be a huge luxury in Australia.
Bhajji will struggle to pick up wickets there.
We will most probably field a 3-pacers,1-spinner attack.

I think Zaheer,Munaf and RP sould be fit in time for the Boxing Day test.
It i being said that Zaheer went for an MRI can and nothing seriou semerged.
Munaf just has a stiff back, which he very frequently does have and RP now has had enough rest, so he should be fine as well.
RP was in the field as a 12th man in the Kolkata test.

You would seriously want to look into that bowling attack as a two pronged-spin attack will be a huge luxury in Australia.

I think Zaheer,Munaf and RP sould be fit in time for the Boxing Day test.
It i being said that Zaheer went for an MRI can and nothing seriou semerged.
Munaf just has a stiff back, which he very frequently does have and RP now has had enough rest, so he should be fine as well.
RP was in the field as a 12th man in the Kolkata test.

This was not the team but the certainity for the tour. My point was that we need 1 openor, 1 batsmen and 4 fast bowlers extra to add to this list.

dude....if chopra and jaffer open the innings...then it really scares
me to even imagine the scoring rate !!!

i'd take parthiv over chopra anyday. plus, parthiv would be good replacement
for dhoni if he gets injured !

Jaffer is not a stick in mud kind of openor. In fact his strike rate is better than Dravid and Tendulkar.

Last edited:
The Test wickets are tending towards flat and it might be quite a wise gamble to play two spinners, but as a part of a five man pace attack. I'd lean towards Karthik because Harbhajan seems to have lost the plot. Although Harbhajan brings a handy bat, both Kumble and Pathan are heavy contributors, so the team wouldn't lose much on a good batting surface.

The trouble in this I think, is for the pacemen to really take advantage of having extra rests. They have to be able to benefit from being fresh. Australia and England have been known to use five bowler strategies well, because of the individual qualities of their attacks. Pure swing will only be effective for a session from each new ball, so you don't really see Pathan coming back with an old ball to do anything, anyway. Things like extra pace and bounce are things Sreesanth can bring, so it is already looking a bit disappointing. Reverse swing might be something to hope for.

Munaf, Zaheer and RP are all pretty good exponents of reverse swing. So we may have to get them back to full fitness.

I'd still keep Kartik if he fails because he has done well in every overseas tour this year and hasn't been brilliant in home series. If he fails i'd personally see how he goes in the first test or two in Australia.

Munaf, Zaheer and RP are all pretty good exponents of reverse swing. So we may have to get them back to full fitness.

Definately not Munaf. We dont want 1 bowler bowling lolly pop deliveries at 100ks to Aussie batsmen on flat pitches there.

Definately not Munaf. We dont want 1 bowler bowling lolly pop deliveries at 100ks to Aussie batsmen on flat pitches there.

The 100k deliveries in the second innings at Kolkata were due to the fact that he was bowling cutters, and he had got the wicket of Misbah with an off-cutter.

vrv should be picked,his pace could be handy.

The Test wickets are tending towards flat and it might be quite a wise gamble to play two spinners, but as a part of a five man pace attack. I'd lean towards Karthik because Harbhajan seems to have lost the plot. Although Harbhajan brings a handy bat, both Kumble and Pathan are heavy contributors, so the team wouldn't lose much on a good batting surface.

Finally, there is someone who agrees with me on Harbhajan. His darts will not be effective in Australia.
His line is something which irritates me. He bowls a middle-leg line eventhough he is an off-spinner !
We saw that he can pick up wickets if he consitently bowls the line just outside off which is something basic if you are an off-spinner.
He just does not seem to have the same kind of patience to bowl the outside-offstump line consistently.

Iam sure Zaheer,RP and Munaf will be back in Australia.
Pathan -- I think we`ll have to wait and see how he bowls in the B`lore Test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread